Page 115 of 160 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I've only seen the 1944 version.
    Ditto. I spent the holiday being pre code.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Bette Davis in "The Little Foxes" (1941) tonight on TCM at 9:45. I'm not sure if I've ever seen this one.

Looks like a great vehicle for Davis.

OVERVIEW
    The ruthless, moneyed Hubbard clan lives in, and poisons, their part of the deep South at the turn of the 20th century. Regina Giddons ne Hubbard has her daughter under her thumb. Mrs. Giddons is estranged from her husband, who is convalescing in Baltimore and suffers from a terminal illness. But she needs him home, and will manipulate her daughter to help bring him back. She has a sneaky business deal that she's cooking up with her two elder brothers, Oscar and Ben. Oscar has a flighty, unhappy wife anda dishonest worm of a son. Will the daughter have to marry this contemptible cousin? Who will she grow up to be - her mother or her aunt? Or can she escape the fate of both?

Maltin give is 3-1/2 stars

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:
    D: William Wyler. Bette Davis, Herbert Marshall, Teresa Wright, Richard Carlson, Patricia Collinge, Dan Duryea, Charles Dingle. Outstanding filmization of Lillian Hellman's play of greed and corruption within a crumbling Southern family on the financial outs, headed by majestic Davis as ruthless Regina. Collinge, Duryea, Dingle, Carl Benton Reid, and John Marriott all recreate their Broadway roles, with Collinge, Duryea, Reid, and Teresa Wright making their film debuts. Scripted by Hellman. Prequel: ANOTHER PART OF THE FOREST.

Good god, what a bitch!

And if you want to stay up late, Animal Crackers is on at Midnight.
    Last edited by ronmac; 12-27-2019 at 03:15 PM.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Bette Davis in "The Little Foxes" (1941) tonight on TCM at 9:45. I'm not sure if I've ever seen this one.

Looks like a great vehicle for Davis.

OVERVIEW
    The ruthless, moneyed Hubbard clan lives in, and poisons, their part of the deep South at the turn of the 20th century. Regina Giddons ne Hubbard has her daughter under her thumb. Mrs. Giddons is estranged from her husband, who is convalescing in Baltimore and suffers from a terminal illness. But she needs him home, and will manipulate her daughter to help bring him back. She has a sneaky business deal that she's cooking up with her two elder brothers, Oscar and Ben. Oscar has a flighty, unhappy wife anda dishonest worm of a son. Will the daughter have to marry this contemptible cousin? Who will she grow up to be - her mother or her aunt? Or can she escape the fate of both?

Maltin give is 3-1/2 stars

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:
    D: William Wyler. Bette Davis, Herbert Marshall, Teresa Wright, Richard Carlson, Patricia Collinge, Dan Duryea, Charles Dingle. Outstanding filmization of Lillian Hellman's play of greed and corruption within a crumbling Southern family on the financial outs, headed by majestic Davis as ruthless Regina. Collinge, Duryea, Dingle, Carl Benton Reid, and John Marriott all recreate their Broadway roles, with Collinge, Duryea, Reid, and Teresa Wright making their film debuts. Scripted by Hellman. Prequel: ANOTHER PART OF THE FOREST.

Good god, what a bitch!

And if you want to stay up late, Animal Crackers is on at Midnight.
    Been a long while since I've seen it though it's been on a few times recently. My mom likes it. Why Shemp?

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Why Shemp?
    Why not?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Why not?
    No issue, just thought you were going with a more cinematic theme. Bring back the old lady.

No issue, just thought you were going with a more cinematic theme. Bring back the old lady.
    I tend to use comedy icons more than anything, actually. I previously had Groucho and WC Fields. The old lady from "House on Haunted Hill" was for Halloween. Although, I and John Lennon before, too.

The Zone marathon.

The Zone marathon.
    I was just going to post the same thing.

My daughters always look forward to Talking Tina in "A Living Doll."

Tonight on TCM:

8:00 Roaring Twenties, The (1939) Cagney and Bogart

10:00 Public Enemy, The (1931) Cagney

Tonight on TCM:

Ive always liked the Roaring Twenties. The finale is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Ive always liked the Roaring Twenties. The finale is fantastic.
    I decided to watch the Linda Ronstadt doc on CNN instead. I did catch the last 30 minutes of Public Enemy, though.

My daughters always look forward to Talking Tina in "A Living Doll."
    Funny how they never get old. I still say Telly's wife looked great in pants.

Tonight on TCM:

The Roaring Twenties is great!

Funny how they never get old. I still say Telly's wife looked great in pants.
    For the longest time, I thought that was Shirley Jones. She looks just like her.

For the longest time, I thought that was Shirley Jones. She looks just like her.
    Since I was so impressed with her pants, I had to look her up. Seems she did another TZ episode. The one with, Keenan Wynn, "A World of His Own". That's the one where he speaks into a tape recorder, describes a person and they come to life. Her name is Mary LaRoche.

Some good ones on TCM this week.

There's a doc on tonight about the trial of Mary Astor, followed by a Gable/Harlow pre-code one from '32 (3-1/2 stars).

Monthly theme is the Roaring 20s (Wednesday nights) with some CLASSIC this week. Earlier on Wednesday afternoon, there seems to be a haunted/ghost theme with "The Haunting," "House on Haunted Hill," "Poltergeist" among others.

Looks like it's going to be a fun month. I fear I will miss many of these, since I'll be consumed by politics, war and stuff.

Some good ones on TCM this week.

There's a doc on tonight about the trial of Mary Astor, followed by a Gable/Harlow pre-code one from '32 (3-1/2 stars).

Monthly theme is the Roaring 20s (Wednesday nights) with some CLASSIC this week. Earlier on Wednesday afternoon, there seems to be a haunted/ghost theme with "The Haunting," "House on Haunted Hill," "Poltergeist" among others.

Looks like it's going to be a fun month. I fear I will miss many of these, since I'll be consumed by politics, war and stuff.
    Mary Astor, What's that about? Not much of a Gable fan except for, Band of Angels. That film and, Imitation of Life, have a lot in common.

Mary Astor, What's that about?
    http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/22016...of-Mary-Astor/

Once again, something I never knew. Ron, who was she married to at the time?

Once again, something I never knew. Ron, who was she married to at the time?
    I don't know. I never knew about this, either.

Actually, that was the wrong link:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/22016.../articles.html

Ah Ron, we lost a good one in Buck. He and Mel together were awesome.

Ah Ron, we lost a good one in Buck. He and Mel together were awesome.
    Yep.

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" is on TCM tomorrow night at 8:00

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" is on TCM tomorrow night at 8:00
    You mean Aunt Bee is going to talk politics again.