Page 128 of 160 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138 ... LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Does Hal know that Grand Prix is on this morning? Later it's, On The Waterfront and North By Northwest. TCM.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Does Hal know that Grand Prix is on this morning? Later it's, On The Waterfront and North By Northwest. TCM.
    Thats not very sporting , using real bullits.....

Tonight at 8 is Touch of Evil. Good movie if you can get past Charleton Heston playing a Mexican.

At 2:15 am is Soylent Green, Edward G Robinson's final movie and one of his all time greatest roles.

Does Hal know that Grand Prix is on this morning?
    No, I didn't. I doubt I would have watched it, tho. It's not that good of a movie. Le Mans, however, I think is a very good movie.

Still, Grand Prix is available to stream and I may check it out, so thanks for the heads up.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Tonight at 8 is Touch of Evil. Good movie if you can get past Charleton Heston playing a Mexican.
    I was going to ask about that. Thanks for the heads up, stranger.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

At 2:15 am is Soylent Green, Edward G Robinson's final movie and one of his all time greatest roles.

No, I didn't. I doubt I would have watched it, tho. It's not that good of a movie. Le Mans, however, I think is a very good movie.

Still, Grand Prix is available to stream and I may check it out, so thanks for the heads up.
    Touch Of Evil has a great performance by Orson Welles. I need to watch Soylent Green. Never seen it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Touch Of Evil has a great performance by Orson Welles.
    Just got done watching it. Pretty powerful.

And, boy, was Janet Leigh luscious
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The opening pan shot is legendary.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

I still have trouble with the ending of ToE being the two way radio thing. I don't know if I'll ever watch North By Northwest again. Every time Grant speaks I want to bust out laughing. I would have liked Richard Burton better for the role.

I still have trouble with the ending of ToE being the two way radio thing.
    I have a lot of issues with that movie but that isn't one of them. I'm not even sure what you mean.

I don't know if I'll ever watch North By Northwest again. Every time Grant speaks I want to bust out laughing. I would have liked Richard Burton better for the role.
    What!?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I still have trouble with the ending of ToE being the two way radio thing. I don't know if I'll ever watch North By Northwest again. Every time Grant speaks I want to bust out laughing. I would have liked Richard Burton better for the role.
    Didn't you think Bette Davis would have been better in Double Indemnity than Stanwick? You're batting 1000 here.

I have a lot of issues with that movie but that isn't one of them. I'm not even sure what you mean.
    Not to speak for him, but I will, anyway. I guess it's the fact that Heston had to follow them to stay within range. That was 1958. The technology wasn't quite there, yet. At least he was recording on tape and not as gramophone.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Didn't you think Bette Davis would have been better in Double Indemnity than Stanwick? You're batting 1000 here.
    After more thought here, he could have used Robert Taylor again. An even better fit.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Not to speak for him, but I will, anyway. I guess it's the fact that Heston had to follow them to stay within range. That was 1958. The technology wasn't quite there, yet. At least he was recording on tape and not as gramophone.
    Well, the ending could have been more dramatic. The radio bit was just too corny.

What!?
    Oh Hal, I'm going to replace you with Robbie The Robot.

Oh Hal, I'm going to replace you with Robbie The Robot.
    You are the one suggesting Richard Burton would have been better than Cary Grant in North by Northwest.

You also suggested Bette Davis would have been better than Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity.

You are the one who doesn't like Casablanca.

And now you're suggesting Robert Taylor would have been a better fit than Grant in NbN.

Dude, either your account has been hacked and you're a Russian troll or you've had a stroke.

Last edited by Hal...; 09-01-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Watched a Hitch double header this morning: Foreign Correspondent (1940) and Suspicion (1941).

I had already seen both but it's been a really long time. My memories of them were that FC didn't wow me and I came to consider Suspicion to be one of Hitch's best, even tho I hadn't seen it for 40 years.

Foreign Correspondent is definitely one of Hitch's best, imo. The only problems I had with it were the bad FX, typical for older movies, and that it had a propagandistic anti-isolationist polemic at the end to try to persuade Americans to enter the war. If handled better, it would have been fine but it feels like it came out of left field.

Suspicion was better than I remembered. When reading about it in my Leonard Maltin book, discovered there was a controversy surrounding the ending. In the novel, Joan Fontaine's character dies. The studio couldn't let this fly due to the Hays code. Hitch rewrote the ending, which the studio didn't like. What we're left with is simply abrupt. Hitch could have actually improved it had he used what would become a classic Hitch move: a long shot of the the stars as they talk for about 5-10 seconds before driving off (the long shot prevents us from hearing the dialogue). But I've never seen a perfect movie so it's forgivable. Still, this one nearly comes as close as two others Hitch made: Psycho and Rear Window.

And with that, here is my top ten list of fave Hitch movies:

1. Psycho
    2. Rear Window
    3. Suspicion
    4. North by Northwest
    5. The Birds
    6-8. Lifeboat/Rope/The Trouble With Harry
    9. Foreign Correspondent
    10. Rebecca/Frenzy

I should point out that I'm not sure the order of Lifeboat, Rope, and The Trouble With Harry, which is why I listed them the way I did.

As for Rebecca and Frenzy, Rebecca is regarded as one of Hitch's masterpieces. It's been about 40 years since I've seen it but I remember really liking it. I should definitely see it again, tho.

Of all the post-Birds movies, Frenzy is easily the best, I think. And the fact that it's about a serial killer makes it one of the first about that subject (1968's No Way To Treat A Lady, starring Rod Steiger, Lee Remick, and George Segal beat it to the punch by four years). Hitch's direction is a little cold or clinical but I often get sucked in when I come across it. I'm not entirely sure why I like it as much as I do.

As for the rest of Hitch's body of work, I've only seen one silent: The Lodger. I remember liking it but that's about it.

For the rest, the earliest movie I've seen is The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934). After that one, I've seen 32 of his movies and aside from my top ten, find most of them hit or miss, with the best being only good. For example, I'd give Dial M for Murder a B. The remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) was actually a decent movie... up to a point. Ultimately, I've never wanted to see it again.

Some thoughts on others...

I'd like to see Torn Curtain and Topaz again, both of which are considered lesser efforts and both of which left me underwhelmed. I'd like to reassess them, tho.

I know Vertigo is considered a masterpiece but I think it's overrated. I definitely won't go out of my way to see it again.

I saw Strangers on a Train when I was young (12-14) and thought it was really good... until the end. The whole carousel scene I found required way too much suspension of disbelief.

I saw To Catch a Thief on TCM recently. Beautifully shot but, meh.

Spellbound I have no desire to ever see again.

Given the story and the stars (Grant, Ingrid Bergman, and Claude Rains), I should have loved Notorious. I did not. In fact, I had a negative reaction to it. That was many, many years ago. But now that I know what it's about, I should see it again. It's possible I might like it. It's also possible I'll have the same reaction.

Like Dial M for Murder, Shadow of a Doubt is good but I just don't think it ranks up there.

Marnie. This is a candidate for worst Hitch movie. My ex loved it. Go figure.

Hal, how can you leave out Vertigo and Rope. You've already had a stroke.

And I still stand by Bette and Rod in those roles. Grant? Bah!

After more thought here, he could have used Robert Taylor again. An even better fit.
    Sorry but you are way out in left field with both those alternatives. Niether Taylor or Burton could have brought the light comic appeal Grant brings to the relationship with Eve Kendel. And said relationship is huge in what makes NBNW hum so well. Grant was perfect and irreplacable. Also , don't you mean ROD Taylor?

Sorry but you are way out in left field with both those alternatives. Niether Taylor or Burton could have brought the light comic appeal Grant brings to the relationship with Eve Kendel. And said relationship is huge in what makes NBNW hum so well. Grant was perfect and irreplacable. Also , don't you mean ROD Taylor?
    Great catch and thanks. Comic, for me is the real problem. I think he's best at those hotel pajama lovers spat type films. What was Hitch thinking? When he's on, I can't change channels fast enough.

+1. The sexual innuendo between those two is really great.

We finished watching "Love with a Perfect Stranger" and as always, when something is recorded on the DVR my wife just lets it play until the recording hits the end. TCM had their usual filler stuff but there was one I hadn't seen before with Ben Mankiewicz and Eddie Muller hanging out in stylish old building in LA, riffing on the history of the building and old Hollywood. I'd pay for the opportunity to just hang with those two all day and hear all the stories and trivia.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Great catch and thanks. Comic, for me is the real problem. I think he's best at those hotel pajama lovers spat type films. What was Hitch thinking? When he's on, I can't change channels fast enough.
    To each his own. But classics are such because over many years they have resonated with fans . NBNW is 60 years old and still is popular. The casting is perfect. Your suggestions of alternative casting are fundimentaly flawed in that they change the chemestry of the movie. Which is what makes it an enduring Classic. Taylor or Burton doesn't make sense. Nor does Davis for Stanwick in DI. And you don't like Casablanca???? Those 3 positions make it impossible for me to consider any opinions you put forth on classic movies. Casablanca???

Hal, how can you leave out Vertigo and Rope. You've already had a stroke.
    You may want to read my list, again:

And with that, here is my top ten list of fave Hitch movies:

1. Psycho
    2. Rear Window
    3. Suspicion
    4. North by Northwest
    5. The Birds
    6-8. Lifeboat/Rope/The Trouble With Harry
    9. Foreign Correspondent
    10. Rebecca/Frenzy
    As for Vertigo, I just don't think it's all that. I don't find the story compelling and, once again, the FX are dated.

To each his own. But classics are such because over many years they have resonated with fans . NBNW is 60 years old and still is popular. The casting is perfect. Your suggestions of alternative casting are fundimentaly flawed in that they change the chemestry of the movie. Which is what makes it an enduring Classic. Taylor or Burton doesn't make sense. Nor does Davis for Stanwick in DI. And you don't like Casablanca???? Those 3 positions make it impossible for me to consider any opinions you put forth on classic movies. Casablanca???
    IKR? I suggest we take a vote to discuss his membership.

Staun, the hole you're digging is getting deeper.

i am sorry for your opinion on what I think about these three films in question. This is what I think and will not hesitate to voice similar thoughts about the great accepted films if I feel the need arises. However, I am happy that there is so much here we do agree on.