Page 129 of 160 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,225 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Hal ; IKR? I suggest we take a vote to discuss his membership.

Staun should stay if for no other reason that we get as close in modern day as possible to the mindset of meddling studio execs who destroyed the artistic vision of those they employed. Think who might have been Orson Welles studio nemisis. Staun.

:0

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    You may want to read my list, again:

As for Vertigo, I just don't think it's all that. I don't find the story compelling and, once again, the FX are dated.

IKR? I suggest we take a vote to discuss his membership.

Staun, the hole you're digging is getting deeper.
    Hal, I can tell you when the eye glass man comes around, I'll be sure to have a conversation with him.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Hal ; IKR? I suggest we take a vote to discuss his membership.

Staun should stay if for no other reason that we get as close in modern day as possible to the mindset of meddling studio execs who destroyed the artistic vision of those they employed. Think who might have been Orson Welles studio nemisis. Staun.

:0
    More shame, and this to?.

Kirk Douglas to replace Jimmy Stewart in Its A Wonderful Life.

Sacred cows? Hmm!

Ok for yous guys.

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington starring Jerry Lewis.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

One thing we never seem to discuss here are remakes. Any thoughts about Mutiny on the Bounty? Laughton vs. Brando?

I'll take Laughton in just about any role.

How about Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde? John Barrymore (1920) vs. Fredric March (1932) vs.Spencer Tracy (1941).

A very tough call. I like them all, but March is tops, IMHO.

Phantom of the Opera? Lon Chaney (1925) vs. Claud Rains (1943)? Many consider the 1943 version superior, but, man, there's something about the silent classic.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    One thing we never seem to discuss here are remakes. Any thoughts about Mutiny on the Bounty? Laughton vs. Brando?

I'll take Laughton in just about any role.

How about Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde? John Barrymore (1920) vs. Fredric March (1932) vs.Spencer Tracy (1941).

A very tough call. I like them all, but March is tops, IMHO.

Phantom of the Opera? Lon Chaney (1925) vs. Claud Rains (1943)? Many consider the 1943 version superior, but, man, there's something about the silent classic.

More accuratley Laughton vs Trevor Howard. And Gable vs Brando.

Laughton wins.
    I havnt seen the remake in a long time but I think Brando over Gable. Gable was ok as an actor AFAIC but a bit overated IMO.
    For remakes I always think of the remake of McQueen's The Getaway with Alec Balwin. Very close , even IIRC the same location for finale , but lacking the punch of the original. Baldwin tried to mimic McQuueen's brooding intensity and failed miserably. Which highlighted the fact there was more than met the eye with a McQueen performance.
    The Stagecoach remake with Bing Crosby fails compared to the original.
    The 41 Maltese Falcon was a remake and far and above its predisesor.
    Good topic.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Laughton wins.
    I havnt seen the remake in a long time but I think Brando over Gable. Gable was ok as an actor AFAIC but a bit overated IMO.
    This I agree with though Howard is a terrific actor

Psycho - Janet Leigh vs Anne Heche (I joke, I joke)

Cape Fear
    Robert Mitchum vs Robert DeNiro
    Gregory Peck vs Nick Nolte

Peck over Nolte easily but Mitchum / DeNiro is quite close for me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Phantom of the Opera? Lon Chaney (1925) vs. Claude Rains (1943)? Many consider the 1943 version superior, but, man, there's something about the silent classic.
    When reading about the ending of Suspicion the other day, I ran across something about the ending of the '25 version of Phantom of the Opera. Apparently, the original film did poorly and was reshot with Lon Chaney, Ernst Laemmle, and Edward Sedgwick listed as uncredited directors on Wikipedia.

I can't speak to any of these movies as I don't remember anything about the Brando version of Bounty, I'm uncertain of which Dr. Jekyl versions I've seen (other than the Tracy version), and I haven't seen the Rains version of Phantom.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Psycho - Janet Leigh vs Anne Heche (I joke, I joke)
    Yeah, but you know what? I understand Gus van Sant's impulse to remake it. I haven't read about his motivation but I suspect, given that it was a nearly shot by shot remake, that (1) it was an homage and (2) he was trying to bring a classic to younger audiences who'd have no desire to see the original because it was in B&W. I thought Vince Vaughn and Heche were both good... and I hadn't even heard of either actor at the time. Vaughn lacked Perkins' subtle nervousness but was very good in it, nonetheless, and Heche was as good as Leigh, from what I recall. I mean, Leigh was no great pillar of acting. I think she's more iconic in the role due to her scenes being iconic. I also happen to think Vaughn is an underappreciated actor. So, Perkins gets the nod but Leigh/Heche is a tie, maybe. I'd need to see the remake again.

Cape Fear
    Robert Mitchum vs Robert DeNiro
    Gregory Peck vs Nick Nolte

Peck over Nolte easily but Mitchum / DeNiro is quite close for me.
    Agree about Peck.

Mitchum could do menacing better than anyone but DeNiro is the better actor. I saw the remake first and, after I saw the original, felt DeNiro's portrayal was a little too much. And for that, I put the responsibility on Scorsese's shoulders. Also, the villain's motivation is different in each movie and so, for that reason, I'll go with Mitchum.

--------------------

How about other remakes:

A Star is Born - Gaynor/March vs Garland/Mason vs Streisand/Kristofferson vs Gaga/Cooper? I've only seen the Streisand version, which I'd say is '70s teenage girl corn. Still, both actors are very effective in it.

A Christmas Carol - Seymour Hicks ('35 version, which I don't think I've seen) vs Reginald Owen ('38 version) vs Alastair Sim ('51) vs Albert Finney ('70) vs George C Scott ('84) vs Patrick Stewart ('99). My pick: Sim, hands down. I finally saw the '99 version this past season and expected a lot more. I was disappointed.

The Big Sleep - Bogart vs Mitchum? I don't recall seeing the remake - or if I have, I've forgotten it.

Nosferatu - Schreck vs Kinski. No contest in my book.

The Big Clock (remade as No Way Out) - Ray Milland vs Kevin Costner and Charles Laughton vs Gene Hackman. The Big Clock is film noir while NWO is a political thriller. I haven't seen NWO since it was released in '87. I've never been a Costner fan (just the opposite, actually) so that pick is easy. But Laughton vs Hackman. Hmmm. I think I'll go with Hackman on this since he's a better villain. The Big Clock is the better movie, tho, imo.

Lady for a Day (directed by Frank Capra in '33 and remade by him as A Pocketful of Miracles in '61) - May Robson/Warren William vs Bette Davis/Glenn Ford. This is a toughie. I've never liked Ford so for that reason I'll pick William. But Robson vs Davis? I've long said Davis' Apple Annie is one of her great roles but Robson was pitch perfect. Tie. Caveat: I should probably see both again.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Ok for yous guys.
    We're just messin' with ya, man.

"I...am...George Bailey!"

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    "I...am...George Bailey!"

Yeah, I can't believe I blew that one.

I don't think the character is memorable enough. I would probably give Brando the edge.

I'm uncertain of which Dr. Jekyl versions I've seen (other than the Tracy version), and I haven't seen the Rains version of Phantom.

Mitchum could do menacing better than anyone but DeNiro is the better actor. I saw the remake first and, after I saw the original, felt DeNiro's portrayal was a little too much. And for that, I put the responsibility on Scorsese's shoulders. Also, the villain's motivation is different in each movie and so, for that reason, I'll go with Mitchum.
    You MUST see the 1932 version of Jekyl & Hyde. I think you'll agree that it's superior. Although, the Tracy version does have the luscious Ingrid Bergman.

The Claud Rains version of the Phantom benefits from a musical soundtrack and glorious color. And Rains is certainly no slouch. The 18-year difference does ads a lot. For atmosphere, I lean toward the silent version.

WRT Cape Fear, I deliberately tried to compare movies that were closer together WRT the release date. Yes, DeNiro is more over the top, but that's more a testament of the times.

Nosferatu - Schreck vs Kinski. No contest in my book.
    I've actually never seen the Kinski version. But wouldn't a more fair comparison be Schreck vs. Lugosi, even though the 1922 one is closer to the original novel and the 1931 version is the stage play on film?

Cape Fear . Peck and Mitchum. Nobody does malevolence better than Mitchum. See Night Of the Hunter if in doubt.
    The Big Sleep. Bogie
    A Star Is Born. I dont care.
    The Big Clock vs No Way Out . Movie and all actors , The Big Clock.
    Davis in PFOM.

The Original Planet Of The Apes vs the Walburg remake. The original by far. And Heston shouldn't even be defiled with Marky Mark's name.

You MUST see the 1932 version of Jekyl & Hyde. I think you'll agree that it's superior. Although, the Tracy version does have the luscious Ingrid Bergman.
    I must, huh? lol I think the reason I've never seen any other versions is because I never really liked the story... even as a kid.

I did read that March won the Oscar for his portrayal so maybe I'll check it out next time it's on TCM.

BTW, I happened across this cool lobby poster on Wikipedia:

I've actually never seen the Kinski version. But wouldn't a more fair comparison be Schreck vs. Lugosi, even though the 1922 one is closer to the original novel and the 1931 version is the stage play on film?
    I don't know why you think it would since the '79 version was a direct remake of the '22 version. And for the record, I totally forgot about Lugosi or I might have said, "Schreck vs Lugosi vs Kinski". Then again, Schreck's vampire is completely different than Lugosi's. So much so, that, now that I think about it, it's an apples/oranges comparison, don't you think?

A more fair comparison would be Lugosi to Lee:

Have you ever read the novel? I haven't and have always wondered how the portrayals of Orlock and Dracula compared to the original text.

That reminds me: did you ever notice that the word "nosferatu" is used in Dracula? I can't remember where, now, but when I saw it the first time, I didn't notice it because I didn't know the word and didn't understand what he said. The next time I saw it, after having seen Nosferatu, I picked up on it immediately. I read somewhere, years ago, that the word is Romanian for "living dead" (i.e. vampire).

The Original Planet Of The Apes vs the Walburg remake. The original by far. And Heston shouldn't even be defiled with Marky Mark's name.
    I didn't know the Wahlberg version even existed.

I never cared for the original movies. For that matter, I've never liked Charleton Heston. I did like the Franco versions, tho. I was surprised at how good the first one was.

I must, huh? lol I think the reason I've never seen any other versions is because I never really liked the story... even as a kid.

I did read that March won the Oscar for his portrayal so maybe I'll check it out next time it's on TCM.
    Yes, you really must. When March turns into Hyde, there's no way it's the same actor. He's incredible and it was a well-deserved Oscar.

I don't know why you think it would since the '79 version was a direct remake of the '22 version. And for the record, I totally forgot about Lugosi or I might have said, "Schreck vs Lugosi vs Kinski". Then again, Schreck's vampire is completely different than Lugosi's. So much so, that, now that I think about it, it's an apples/oranges comparison, don't you think?
    I must not have been clear. I wasn't saying that Murnau's (Schreck) version was closer to the novel than Kinski's. I was saying it was closer than Lugosi's, which was the stage play brought to film.

A more fair comparison would be Lugosi to Lee:
    Perhaps.

Have you ever read the novel? I haven't and have always wondered how the portrayals of Orlock and Dracula compared to the original text.
    Yes, it's great. See above. The Nosferatu is closer. We're actually lucky to even have that film. When Stoker's widow won the lawsuit against the Murnau film, all copies were ordered to be destroyed. Luckily, they weren't

That reminds me: did you ever notice that the word "nosferatu" is used in Dracula? I can't remember where, now, but when I saw it the first time, I didn't notice it because I didn't know the word and didn't understand what he said. The next time I saw it, after having seen Nosferatu, I picked up on it immediately. I read somewhere, years ago, that the word is Romanian for "living dead" (i.e. vampire).
    Van Helsing uses the term in the 1931 film when he's explaining it to the others.

That lobby card is super-cool!

^^ BTW, if you want to read the Bram Stoker novel:

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/345

^^ BTW, if you want to read the Bram Stoker novel:

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/345
    I read it a long time ago and remember it as excellent.

I watched some of the old rock n' roll festival movies last night on TCM. On the T.A.M.I. Show, Mick Jagger would have turned 21 just a few months before and Keith Richards is still 20. No wonder they were scared shitless about coming on after James Brown. The second film, Let the Good Times Roll, was cobbled together from two different rock n' roll revival shows in the early 70s. Little Richard, Bo Diddley, and Chuck Berry tore up the arenas. I really liked that both Bo and Chuck's guitar tones sounded way rougher than they normally were, gritty and overdriven.

I don't know if I'll watch the rest of the concert movies. It depends on my wife's tolerance. The Kids are Alright and The Song Remains the Same are both on the shelf, in Blu-ray. I've never seen Shine a Light but it's post head injury for Keith and that's not good.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart