Page 55 of 160 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Damn that TCM. I heard that promo for the month of October too many times and had to track down that ethereal backing music. It sounds like it should have been used for the soundtrack of HBO's True Detective.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Thanks for the cue.

Well, why not.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Don't we have any experts on the occult here.

Has a good time watching, Thriller, with Boris Karloff. Some of these were very good especially the ones he played in. Anyone remember these? The Binge Channel will run a great series every now and then but you have to stomach all those terrible, your dying of anything, commercials. Will have to check the DVD market.

Vincent Price movies all night on TCM.

Also, at 6:00 EST is one I may have seen but looks very good.

Dead of Night (1945)

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW: FOUR STARS
    D: Cavalcanti, Basil Dearden, Robert Hamer, Charles Crichton. Mervyn Johns, Roland Culver, Antony Baird, Judy Kelly, Miles Malleson, Sally Ann Howes, Googie Withers, Ralph Michael, Michael Redgrave, Basil Radford, Naunton Wayne, Frederick Valk. Classic chiller of gathering at a country house, where guests trade supernatural stories. One of them (Johns) has been having a nightmare that now seems to be coming true; final sequence with Redgrave as a schizophrenic ventriloquist is a knockout. U.S. theatrical version ran 77m.; complete edition has been restored for TV.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Vincent Price movies all night on TCM.

Also, at 6:00 EST is one I may have seen but looks very good.

Dead of Night (1945)

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW: FOUR STARS
    D: Cavalcanti, Basil Dearden, Robert Hamer, Charles Crichton. Mervyn Johns, Roland Culver, Antony Baird, Judy Kelly, Miles Malleson, Sally Ann Howes, Googie Withers, Ralph Michael, Michael Redgrave, Basil Radford, Naunton Wayne, Frederick Valk. Classic chiller of gathering at a country house, where guests trade supernatural stories. One of them (Johns) has been having a nightmare that now seems to be coming true; final sequence with Redgrave as a schizophrenic ventriloquist is a knockout. U.S. theatrical version ran 77m.; complete edition has been restored for TV.
    Schizophrenic ventriloquist is in a class of sick all by itself. I mentioned, Legend of Hell House. Have you had the pleasure? I thought it was pretty good. Vincent Price? Are they going to show, THAT, movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Schizophrenic ventriloquist is in a class of sick all by itself. I mentioned, Legend of Hell House. Have you had the pleasure? I thought it was pretty good. Vincent Price? Are they going to show, THAT, movie?
    I just caught the last ten minutes or so of Dead of Night and what I saw was pretty wild. Quite an ending.

Yes, I've seen "Legend of Hell House," but it's been a while and I probably wouldn't recognize it.

THAT movie is on at 1:00 am

8:00 PM House of Wax (1953)

9:45 PM Pit and the Pendulum (1961)

11:15 PM Masque of the Red Death, The (1964)

1:00 AM House on Haunted Hill (1958)

2:30 AM Theatre of Blood (1973)

We recently discussed gangster films and two of the best are on Monday night:

8:00 PM Little Caesar (1930)

9:30 PM I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932)
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I just caught the last ten minutes or so of Dead of Night and what I saw was pretty wild. Quite an ending.

Yes, I've seen "Legend of Hell House," but it's been a while and I probably wouldn't recognize it.

THAT movie is on at 1:00 am

8:00 PM House of Wax (1953)

9:45 PM Pit and the Pendulum (1961)

11:15 PM Masque of the Red Death, The (1964)

1:00 AM House on Haunted Hill (1958)

2:30 AM Theatre of Blood (1973)

Even now, I still really enjoy House of Wax. Just a good story and film. Yes, I've seen both, Little Caesar and I am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang. How old was Eddie in Little Caesar? I always think he has a little to much pan cake on his face. I also like the traditional gangster bolder hats they wore at the time. Hate seeing these seasonal films end. As a kid, they were really scary and now they bring back a lot of memories. Good stuff. Forgot to mention that one of the local stations ran 13 Ghosts Saturday night.

Edward G. Robinson was in his upper 30s when Little Caesar made him a mega-star. The film was 1931, so I can cut him some slack on the makeup. Some prints look better than others, so that may be a factor, too.

I also saw that 13 Ghosts was on the other night. The problem with that movie is that the special effects are really crappy.

Edward G. Robinson was in his upper 30s when Little Caesar made him a mega-star. The film was 1931, so I can cut him some slack on the makeup. Some prints look better than others, so that may be a factor, too.

I also saw that 13 Ghosts was on the other night. The problem with that movie is that the special effects are really crappy.
    Yes, the gimmick was the silly colored glasses they gave you so you could see the ghost better. I think you could see them anyway but the colored film in the glasses brought them out better. The gimmick was perfect for the time though. Vincent Price was in another movie called, The Tingler. It was B&W except for one scene. A hand was coming out of the bath tube which was supposed to be full of blood. They wired some of the seats that would give you a little shock so you would think the Tingler has you. At the time, it was really cool.
    Last edited by Staun; 11-01-2018 at 01:03 PM.

If anyone wants to see a very good cold war thriller, "Fail Safe" is on tonight at 9:30 EST on TCM. We discussed it here before.

Tomorrow night, epic four-star western "Red River" is on at 8:00. I'm not sure if I've ever seen that one.

If anyone wants to see a very good cold war thriller, "Fail Safe" is on tonight at 9:30 EST on TCM. We discussed it here before.

Tomorrow night, epic four-star western "Red River" is on at 8:00. I'm not sure if I've ever seen that one.
    One of the great westerns that I liked better than High Noon or 3:10 to Yuma. I liked Monty Clift's performance better than Wayne's.

One of the great westerns that I liked better than High Noon or 3:10 to Yuma. I liked Monty Clift's performance better than Wayne's.
    It turns out that I did actually see this one before. I had no problem watching it all over again.

TONIGHT!!

Of course, TCM is running some of the best war films, both B&W and color, this weekend. A stopper lineup starts Saturday morning with Battle of the Bulge followed by, Where Eagles Dare. Next we go into, The Great Escape followed by, Bridge on the River Kwai. This film has long been one of my favorites and I watch it often. But I must admit that, for me, British War films have no equal. They just seem to give me a better sense of the times and feel so authentic. The acting is always great.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ When I was a kid my dad took me to see "The Battle of Britain," and that scene where the British pilot is shot in the eye and that side of his goggles fills up with blood stayed with me forever! I also know I saw and liked Where Eagles Dare, but can't remember it well. Sort of like "The Guns of Navarone" as I remember. Guess I should watch that one. The Great Escape is of course a classic.

Another war related film I like a lot is "The Hasty Heart," starring Ronald Reagan (!). In a way it's more appropriate for Veteran's Day than many other war films.

But I must admit that, for me, British War films have no equal. They just seem to give me a better sense of the times and feel so authentic. The acting is always great.
    Probably because their wars took place in their own back yards.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Of course, TCM is running some of the best war films, both B&W and color, this weekend. A stopper lineup starts Saturday morning with Battle of the Bulge followed by, Where Eagles Dare. Next we go into, The Great Escape followed by, Bridge on the River Kwai. This film has long been one of my favorites and I watch it often. But I must admit that, for me, British War films have no equal. They just seem to give me a better sense of the times and feel so authentic. The acting is always great.
    Guinness is brilliant in Bridge on the River Kwai
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Guinness is brilliant in Bridge on the River Kwai
    The perfect British commander and officer. Never letting his men forget that they were British soldiers. He felt that even in war, there were rules and men could still be men.

Probably because their wars took place in their own back yards.
    I had not considered this but I believe you may have cracked the code.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ When I was a kid my dad took me to see "The Battle of Britain," and that scene where the British pilot is shot in the eye and that side of his goggles fills up with blood stayed with me forever! I also know I saw and liked Where Eagles Dare, but can't remember it well. Sort of like "The Guns of Navarone" as I remember. Guess I should watch that one. The Great Escape is of course a classic.

Another war related film I like a lot is "The Hasty Heart," starring Ronald Reagan (!). In a way it's more appropriate for Veteran's Day than many other war films.
    Like The Longest Day, this film is show quite often. Anything Robert Shaw plays, I'm in on.

Speaking of Veteran's Day, one year I binge watched - back before it was even a thing - over a weekend, the complete HBO series Band of Brothers. It's not B&W but if you want to see a truly excellent "movie" about WWII, this is the one you want to watch. It's more or less a fictionalized biography based on the true life exploits of Easy Company (from the 101st Airborne) from basic training through the end of the war, including the Battle of the Bulge.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Another war movie I found very effective (as an anti-war movie), not B&W though, was "Beach Red." 1967.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Speaking of Veteran's Day, one year I binge watched - back before it was even a thing - over a weekend, the complete HBO series Band of Brothers. It's not B&W but if you want to see a truly excellent "movie" about WWII, this is the one you want to watch. It's more or less a fictionalized biography based on the true life exploits of Easy Company (from the 101st Airborne) from basic training through the end of the war, including the Battle of the Bulge.
    First, I'm sorry to hear that the voice of HAL passed away this weekend. I'm sure you have the proper tribute planned. I've hear so much about, Band of Brothers, I can't believe I've not seen one episode. I can assure you this will change.

First, I'm sorry to hear that the voice of HAL passed away this weekend.
    I wonder if they played "Daisy" at his funeral.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-12-2018 at 06:11 PM.