Page 160 of 160 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160
Results 3,976 to 3,997 of 3997

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

I like Ford. 3:10 To Yuma is classic, but Jubal isn't IMHO. All a bit stagey and melodramatic, particularly on Rod Steiger's part.

There's another Ford Western by the same director of both of these- Cowboy , which I watched earlier in the year. Far better than Jubal in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    and of course, Gilda (though there was a MAJOR distraction in Gilda - oh, that hair toss).
    That was the only bit in Gilda I liked that much. Take that scene out and there's not that much there IMHO. One of those noir films I didn't take to; all a bit glib.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I like Ford. 3:10 To Yuma is classic, but Jubal isn't IMHO. All a bit stagey and melodramatic, particularly on Rod Steiger's part.

There's another Ford Western by the same director of both of these- Cowboy , which I watched earlier in the year. Far better than Jubal in my view.

That was the only bit in Gilda I liked that much. Take that scene out and there's not that much there IMHO. One of those noir films I didn't take to; all a bit glib.
    Cowboy is kind of flat. The only reason I watch it is to see Jack Lemon in such a role. Jubal is a nice little piece of drama. It does have a flub though. In one scene you can see Steiger wearing a wrist watch.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Jubal is a nice little piece of drama. It does have a flub though. In one scene you can see Steiger wearing a wrist watch.
    Given how Steiger was a method actor, he probably did that to show that his character was from the future.
    “The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone."

Enjoyed a little Burt Lancaster mini-fest yesterday. Two classics: The Swimmer with Kim Hunter, character actor extraordinaire Dolph Sweet and a very young Joan Rivers and Run Silent, Run Deep with Clark Gable, Don Rickles and the always excellent Jack Warden.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Enjoyed a little Burt Lancaster mini-fest yesterday. Two classics: The Swimmer with Kim Hunter, character actor extraordinaire Dolph Sweet and a very young Joan Rivers and Run Silent, Run Deep with Clark Gable, Don Rickles and the always excellent Jack Warden.
    Gonna watch The Unforgiven.

I remember running across The Swimmer when I was a teenager and was enthralled. Which is weird because I recall there seemed to be no plot. But I've always liked offbeat movies.

I should see it again, sometime.

As for Run Silent, Run Deep, I've always been a sucker for WWII era Navy movies and that's a good one! My only quibble: Clark Gable. Regardless of how good he was in any particular movie, I've never liked that man.

My favorite movie he appeared in is It Happened One Night, due entirely to Frank Capra and Claudette Colbert, I should add, and I can think of half a dozen actors that would have been better in that movie. In order of preference:

• Cary Grant would have been absolutely perfect in that movie.

• David Niven was a leading man by 1939 and had great comedic chops. I think he could have been as good as Cary Grant. Maybe.

• William Powell was a wonderful comedic actor. Hell, I might even put him before David Niven.

• John Barrymore. Noted more for dramatic roles, he did have comedic chops.

• While Robert Montgomery had an "everyman" quality, he did become a leading man in the early '30s and acted in some comedies. Indeed, he was great in Mr and Mrs Smith, Hitch's only comedy.

• James Cagney proved later he could do more than just play gangsters.
    “The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone."

^^ Good list. But William Powell is one I never cared for. Barrymore could play just about any role.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I remember running across The Swimmer when I was a teenager and was enthralled. Which is weird because I recall there seemed to be no plot. But I've always liked offbeat movies.

I should see it again, sometime.

As for Run Silent, Run Deep, I've always been a sucker for WWII era Navy movies and that's a good one! My only quibble: Clark Gable. Regardless of how good he was in any particular movie, I've never liked that man.

My favorite movie he appeared in is It Happened One Night, due entirely to Frank Capra and Claudette Colbert, I should add, and I can think of half a dozen actors that would have been better in that movie. In order of preference:

• Cary Grant would have been absolutely perfect in that movie.

• David Niven was a leading man by 1939 and had great comedic chops. I think he could have been as good as Cary Grant. Maybe.

• William Powell was a wonderful comedic actor. Hell, I might even put him before David Niven.

• John Barrymore. Noted more for dramatic roles, he did have comedic chops.

• While Robert Montgomery had an "everyman" quality, he did become a leading man in the early '30s and acted in some comedies. Indeed, he was great in Mr and Mrs Smith, Hitch's only comedy.

• James Cagney proved later he could do more than just play gangsters.
    It Happened On Night is '34 not '39

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    It Happened On Night is '34 not '39
    You know, as soon as I read your post, I knew you were right because I've always known that movie was released around that time.

I have no idea what I was thinking when I typed that post. I blame aging.

Okay, so '34 is a touch early for David Niven, but I stand by my earlier comment that he would have been better than Gable.

I watched "Red-Headed Woman" (1932) with Jean Harlow, part of a pre-code run of movies on TCM. I'm pretty sure I saw it before, but holy hell was it racy.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    You know, as soon as I read your post, I knew you were right because I've always known that movie was released around that time.

I have no idea what I was thinking when I typed that post. I blame aging.

Okay, so '34 is a touch early for David Niven, but I stand by my earlier comment that he would have been better than Gable.
    I'm not a huge Gable fan , but Niven does not fit the role. He doesn't convey a toughguy no nonsense figure as well as Gable. From that era , how about Spenser Tracy?

I thought of Tracy but don't see him in that role.

TCM is showing "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" with Frederic March tonight.

Sahara starring Humphrey Bogart. Great WWII picture from 1943, beautifully shot. Features a young Lloyd Bridges. Peter Lawford appears briefly as a background actor.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    TCM is showing "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" with Frederic March tonight.
    I know you love this one.

Ran across Lolita on TCM, yesterday, and watched it. I forgot how funny this movie is.

Last night began TCM's holiday run. Bela as Dracula was fine, Murders at the Rue Morgue seemed a little weak.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Last night began TCM's holiday run. Bela as Dracula was fine, Murders at the Rue Morgue seemed a little weak.
    Most of the so-called Poe adaptations are a bit weak. many are similar only by title.

Dracula typically gets 3 out of 4 stars, and I can see that. But the atmospherics and set design alone make it 4 stars in my book.

My only complaint about Dracula is the final confrontation and killing of Drac is pretty lame.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Just watched Kazan's A Face ln The Crowd after about 10 years. Man what a great fucking film that is. An Andy Griffith tour-de-force. The "Vitajex" sales montage is total Coen Brothers, decades before.
    And will l wait forever beside the silent mirror and fish for bitter minnows amongst the weeds and slimy water?

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    Just watched Kazan's A Face ln The Crowd after about 10 years. Man what a great fucking film that is. An Andy Griffith tour-de-force. The "Vitajex" sales montage is total Coen Brothers, decades before.
    A truly great movie and even better performance. It's a shame that so many aren't even aware of this film.

My only complaint about Dracula is the final confrontation and killing of Drac is pretty lame.
    Well, it was 1931 after all. Last time I watched this, which was a couple of months ago, I tried to transport myself to a dark movie theater in the early 1930s. It was horrifying.