Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Premier League 16-17

Very good weekend for both, and it’s quite nice to have a little break as this league is hectic. Quite a few from each squad on international duty, so there’s always a risk, but fingers crossed!

What can I really say about Everton? Even though I live in the states, this team has managed to sour my mood on many weekends....for years. I swear this team is cursed. If we stay up it'll be the 3rd miracle in a row. Up the Toffees...

Gruelling Easter for anyone following the top four in the Championship. Good Friday was ridiculous, with games involving those sides kicking off at 12.30, 15.00, 17.30 and 20.00. And both Leeds games over the long weekend being 20.00 kick offs was far from ideal for us.

Bloody Ipswich keep on pulling rabbits out of hats!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I could not believe that final goal against Southampton. I think it may just be written in the stars this season.

The next month is going to be a nail biter, the games come so thick and fast, and there’s hardly an easy game in this division, what with the play off places scrap too. One thing Ipswich have is the very last say, as their final game is after the regular season end, away to Coventry. So they will know what they need before kick off, so set up to be quite a finale.

Leicester seem to be in all sorts of trouble with the financial fair play rules, although their points deduction will be next season. It seems rather unfair that they can be in breach of the rules and still benefit from the overspend on the squad this season. I did expect they would run away with the title at one point, but they are certainly right back in the mix with the others now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Leicester seem to be in all sorts of trouble with the financial fair play rules, although their points deduction will be next season. It seems rather unfair that they can be in breach of the rules and still benefit from the overspend on the squad this season. I did expect they would run away with the title at one point, but they are certainly right back in the mix with the others now.
    It certainly isn't fair on other clubs that have abided by the rules. If Leicester finish top two then whichever of Leeds or Ipswich ends up in the playoffs will be entitled to feel very aggrieved, especially if they don't win promotion (which Leeds probably would not) - though I don't suppose there would be anything that could be done about it. Not abiding by financial rules is cheating in my book, not much better than giving bungs. I guess I felt less sore about this when it appeared they would win the Championship by such a margin that any feasible points deduction would have made no difference. But now it would make all the difference.

I really want Leeds and Ipswich to claim the top two spots. As for Leicester, emotionally I would like to see them end up in the playoffs, not win them, and then have to deal with their financial situation in the Championship next season. Pragmatically I'd like to see them go up via playoffs, then get hit with a substantial points deduction that sees them take up one of the relegation spots next season and thus reduce the chances of Leeds going straight down again.

Being a Leeds fan over the long term breeds pessimism. I don't feel all that optimistic at the moment, and think there is at least a 50% chance Leeds will not be promoted. Galling if not, because we will very likely have a points total that in almost any other season would have seen us finish top two.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 04-04-2024 at 06:54 AM.

Bandcamp Profile

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Howay Tha Toon!

Great start to the weekend, Spurs looked pretty awful for a top 6 team pushing for Europe.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Bugger.

Bandcamp Profile

The Championship meanwhile has taken a bizarre turn, I think that is three rounds of fixtures where the top three have failed to find a win between them, bringing Southampton mathematically back into play. It’s still anyone’s guess which two will get the promotion spots, but I would be fearful for whoever ends up in the playoffs because the winning habit seems elusive.

Edit : Leicester managed a win three games back, but two defeats since, so I’m not quite right with my reminiscing.
    Last edited by Sunlight Caller; 04-14-2024 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Howay Tha Toon!

Great start to the weekend, Spurs looked pretty awful for a top 6 team pushing for Europe.
    It’s my contention that apart from the top three, there really isn’t that much difference between the rest of the mid table / Europe chasing pack. On any given day the games can swing either way, and it comes down to key player injuries, effective use of the bench, tactical guile of the coach, and passion of the crowd. We saw West Ham throw away a winning hand at Newcastle the other week through poor use of the bench, and rubbish tactics, add in the crowd roaring on a resurgence. Spurs were abjectly poor though, something was missing, and I have to say I rather like their straight-talking attack-minded coach.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    What can I really say about Everton? Even though I live in the states, this team has managed to sour my mood on many weekends....for years. I swear this team is cursed. If we stay up it'll be the 3rd miracle in a row. Up the Toffees...
    Things could be worse after last night's match! Two birds with one stone.

Bandcamp Profile

At the risk of upsetting any Chelsea fans, I'm afraid to say I have taken a certain amount of amusement from the following:

1. Cole Palmer is in doubt for the Arsenal game because he is ill.
    2. Pochettino issues a public challenge to his team, if Cole can't play, now is your chance to prove that Chelsea is more than just Cole Palmer FC!!
    3. Cole Palmer is too ill to play in the Arsenal game.
    4. Chelsea lose the Arsenal game 5-0.

I mean the state of things at Chelsea, that after all the money they've spent, their manager has to admit that people see them as completely reliant on a single 21 year old. But even if Cole Palmer was Pelé I don't think he could have saved them on Tuesday night. Todd Boehly, so much to answer for.

I don't think Pochettino has enhanced his reputation this season either. Apart from lack of grip on the football situation he seems to have developed a habit of saying daft things. A few weeks ago he said that Chelsea "should" be in fourth position in the table. At the time they were 19 points behind 4th, which is also where they are now. A cynic might suggest that if they should be fourth and this is where they actually are, they don't have a great manager.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 04-25-2024 at 12:03 AM.

Bandcamp Profile

I’m just home after joining the tens of thousands of fans cheering my adopted home town club Ipswich on their open top bus parade in celebration of their promotion to the Premier League. It was a joyous occasion for the town. Sure it’s going to be tough up there, but they have a likeable bunch of players and a superb coach, and with a few judicious signings, well who knows?

It puts me in direct conflict with myself, because I’ve much preferred watching them this past season, than the team I’ve supported through thick and mostly thin.

Well.

I’m just home after joining the tens of thousands of fans cheering my adopted home town club Ipswich on their open top bus parade in celebration of their promotion to the Premier League. It was a joyous occasion for the town. Sure it’s going to be tough up there, but they have a likeable bunch of players and a superb coach, and with a few judicious signings, well who knows?

It puts me in direct conflict with myself, because I’ve much preferred watching them this past season, than the team I’ve supported through thick and mostly thin.
    This made me chuckle, Chris - you're crossing over to the tractor side!!!

Fair play to the Hammers - Moysie got a decent send off at the final home game. He achieved extraordinary things with the team, which will probably only come to be appreciated with the benefit of a few years' perspective. But the time was right for them to part company - let's hop Lopetegui lives up to billing (I'm apprehensive, & I've got no stake in the game!).

The Ipswich story is great - let's hope that they can hold on to the manager (the stories about Man Utd interest in him are worrying). Let's also hope they don't crash & burn next season - they're already pretty far in financially, if the numbers are to be believed - the temptation to go further, beyond what is sustainable, will be pretty strong...

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Well.
    How's the head this morning?!

Fingers crossed they got enough left to go again at Wembley - & that last night wasn't their final!!!

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    This made me chuckle, Chris - you're crossing over to the tractor side!!!

Fair play to the Hammers - Moysie got a decent send off at the final home game. He achieved extraordinary things with the team, which will probably only come to be appreciated with the benefit of a few years' perspective. But the time was right for them to part company - let's hop Lopetegui lives up to billing (I'm apprehensive, & I've got no stake in the game!).

The Ipswich story is great - let's hope that they can hold on to the manager (the stories about Man Utd interest in him are worrying). Let's also hope they don't crash & burn next season - they're already pretty far in financially, if the numbers are to be believed - the temptation to go further, beyond what is sustainable, will be pretty strong...
    Indeed Robin, Lopetegui would not have been my number one choice, I hoped for someone younger with fresh and innovative ideas, but we will just have to wait and see how it pans out. The Moyes project had definitely reached the end of the road. Loppy has a good crop of youth to work with, if he gives them a chance, and it may not be that we need a complete revamp, but the defence especially needs a clear out.

On the Tractor Boy front, I really can’t see McKenna leaving and I also do not think he will be a big enough name for the often deluded Man Utd fan base. When he left there were lots of negative comments, and of course he has rather proved them wrong since. Financially I think Ipswich are in a good place, they have recently sold a 40% stake that has brought in another £100m, and their net player spend is only about £5m. Yes they need to do some ground changes, but nothing fundamental. Portman Road is a decent 30,000 stadium, and they do need to add some players. Sadly they will lose the skilful Chelsea loanee, Omari Hutchinson, but I doubt he’ll get many starts back there next season, so he might be better placed signing on again.

It’s going to be an interesting summer for both teams.

So, next season, Chris - where will you be?

Portman Road? - or London Stadium?

(btw - in the season before last, when Ipswich went up from League 1, the only team *not* to make a loss were The Grecians!)

How's the head this morning?!

Fingers crossed they got enough left to go again at Wembley - & that last night wasn't their final!!!
    I’m temporarily off the turps due to some medication I’m taking, otherwise the head would probably have been in a poor state!

Anybody’s guess which Leeds will run out at Wembley. If we get the one that played on Thursday we’ll be just fine. As you say, fingers crossed.

Bandcamp Profile

So, next season, Chris - where will you be?

Portman Road? - or London Stadium?
    To be honest a little bit of both. Portman Road is just 15 minutes away, which appeals more at this stage of life. Whilst a round trip to Stratford plus the walk to and from the stadium is approaching 4 hours, which rather kills my enthusiasm these days, but I’ll go along a few times to see my friends. I will be watching both from the comfort of my home too.

Tickets at Portman Road will be scarce, they sold out of season tickets, had to extend the away allocation, and lost seats to some ground improvements for hospitality and premier league reporting and coverage. I estimate there will be about 4,000 on sale match by match, and priority points for regular attendance will sweep the first tranche up very quickly.

Indeed Robin, Lopetegui would not have been my number one choice, I hoped for someone younger with fresh and innovative ideas, but we will just have to wait and see how it pans out. The Moyes project had definitely reached the end of the road. Loppy has a good crop of youth to work with, if he gives them a chance, and it may not be that we need a complete revamp, but the defence especially needs a clear out.

On the Tractor Boy front, I really can’t see McKenna leaving and I also do not think he will be a big enough name for the often deluded Man Utd fan base. When he left there were lots of negative comments, and of course he has rather proved them wrong since. Financially I think Ipswich are in a good place, they have recently sold a 40% stake that has brought in another £100m, and their net player spend is only about £5m. Yes they need to do some ground changes, but nothing fundamental. Portman Road is a decent 30,000 stadium, and they do need to add some players. Sadly they will lose the skilful Chelsea loanee, Omari Hutchinson, but I doubt he’ll get many starts back there next season, so he might be better placed signing on again.

It’s going to be an interesting summer for both teams.
    "On the Tractor Boy front, I really can’t see McKenna leaving"

Lol! - Poch gone, so Chelsea interested. De Zerbi gone, so Brighton interested. Ten Hag likely to go, so Man U interested!

"On the Tractor Boy front, I really can’t see McKenna leaving"

Lol! - Poch gone, so Chelsea interested. De Zerbi gone, so Brighton interested. Ten Hag likely to go, so Man U interested!
    I can't help feeling that Chelsea or the Mancs would be making a mistake here of the same kind that they made with Potter and Moyes respectively - the line of thinking that a manager who has done great things at a club with limited resources will be bound to blossom at a club with much greater resources is often not borne out. Not least because the skillset required to get exceptional performances out of limited players isn't the same as that required to mould a group of exceptional players (with egos to match...) into a team that can win major trophies. I dare say McKenna has the ability to manage at the highest level, but I reckon he needs some years in the PL, or another top league, before he tackles a club where it's silverware or the sack. Brighton might be a better fit right now. Though I too hope he will stay with Ipswich and establish them in the PL.

Bandcamp Profile

The constant talk about him leaving seems to be gathering momentum, so it all feels pretty dispiriting from a local perspective

I do think it be a real mistake to go to Chelsea or Man U, and Brighton, although they are well run club are really not that much bigger than Ipswich. He really should stay and try and make them a presence in the in the Prem. Of course money talks, but he has been offered a huge 400% increase to stay in Ipswich if the local press is to be believed

Bugger.

Sorry for you, Simon (my skin in the game was having watched Ethan as a 16 year old defensive midfielder, bossing League 2 games at St James Park).

Southampton seemed to have Leeds' number all season.

Are they likely to lose (m)any of the exciting youngsters that have lit up the team this season?