Page 250 of 251 FirstFirst ... 150200240246247248249250251 LastLast
Results 6,226 to 6,250 of 6273

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Belated well wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Thanks so much for the well wishes 😊. I'm told I'll be out of the hospital today!
    Good news. Keep with the program and hope that everything evens out for you.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    New heart valve but complications with blood clot in my heart. Full medical team brought it under control and out of icu but more time on hospital but world class care. Most painful experience in my life but still fighting.
    Keep fighting, Greg - you'll beat this!
    Regards,

Duncan

Sitting here in between acts waiting for Burning Spear to come on. They're running ads for upcoming shows on the screen, and half of them are tribute acts. It's a little early to be getting late.

Surgery went as planned. Getting all the functions of the engine room going so I can go home. Just need to get the sewage plant up and running.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Surgery went as planned. Getting all the functions of the engine room going so I can go home. Just need to get the sewage plant up and running.
    Glad to hear it is going well so far.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Keep fighting, Greg - you'll beat this!
    Hey Duncan! Thanks! I responded to your PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Once step at a time! Glad to hear you're moving ahead (no pun intended).
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Ember
    Ghod, I hate catheters. No matter where they stick them.

Good luck, forward is the way.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

First day home. Lower brain functions normal (wash clothes, do dishes & hygiene) Upper brain functions a little foggy (finance planning, paying bills etc) All this I knew before surgery. Good thing finances are on auto-pay for at least the next month. I had C5 Vertebrae removed and a cadaver spacer installed. Surprisingly, no pain at the site. Have a bit of a lo-grade headache tho. Taking Tylenol for that but I do not need the opioids.

Today begins the parade of food deliveries from friends & neighbors. It's a ritual I'm not familiar with. Being a lifelong bachelor, I'm not use to women "doing" for me like making meals and fussing about. I will buck up and answer the door anyway. It's the same weird feeling when evangelical neighbors knock on my door and want to "pray over me." I find the ritual meaningless but I stay silent and think it's "doing them well."

The partial paralysis of my left arm still there. I wasn't expecting a full recovery today.....nerves have their own path to recovery and its going to take time. I pulled out all my (heavy) Bass guitars and amp and set up in the living room before the surgery. It's inspiration and motivation for my left arm Physical Therapy. I'm OK if I can't ride my Harley anymore but I would hate to have to give up the Bass. I can reach the length of a guitar neck now but the lower end of the bass requires a "thumb crawl" down the neck. I have full function of my lower arm / fingers.

Anyway, carry on Geezers! I will.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

First day home. Lower brain functions normal (wash clothes, do dishes & hygiene) Upper brain functions a little foggy (finance planning, paying bills etc) All this I knew before surgery. Good thing finances are on auto-pay for at least the next month. I had C5 Vertebrae removed and a cadaver spacer installed. Surprisingly, no pain at the site. Have a bit of a lo-grade headache tho. Taking Tylenol for that but I do not need the opioids.

Today begins the parade of food deliveries from friends & neighbors. It's a ritual I'm not familiar with. Being a lifelong bachelor, I'm not use to women "doing" for me like making meals and fussing about. I will buck up and answer the door anyway. It's the same weird feeling when evangelical neighbors knock on my door and want to "pray over me." I find the ritual meaningless but I stay silent and think it's "doing them well."

The partial paralysis of my left arm still there. I wasn't expecting a full recovery today.....nerves have their own path to recovery and its going to take time. I pulled out all my (heavy) Bass guitars and amp and set up in the living room before the surgery. It's inspiration and motivation for my left arm Physical Therapy. I'm OK if I can't ride my Harley anymore but I would hate to have to give up the Bass. I can reach the length of a guitar neck now but the lower end of the bass requires a "thumb crawl" down the neck. I have full function of my lower arm / fingers.

Anyway, carry on Geezers! I will.
    At least people bringing you food has a real adventage. Which probably can't be said about evangelical neighbours praying for you.

...I had C5 Vertebrae removed and a cadaver spacer installed...
    Wow - I didn't know that was a 'thing'! That sounds like a non-trivial procedure, so I'm amazed (but happy) that you're feeling so comfortable.
    Regards,

Duncan

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Hey Gary - Stay strong. That's totally the key. I know everyone is pulling for you. It sounds like you have a network of support, which is also key.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:31 AM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Ember
    I remember the choice between cadaver and synthetic grafts when I had my cervical fusion, and the organic choice was recommended, so that's what I got. Apparently the fusion is faster and more reliable.

One of my other health issues is that I never turn down free food.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

^ When I worked for the railroad, those guys would have eaten sawdust if it was free.

Woke up this morning with a trip back to the E/R. Swelling at the incision site choking off trachea and esophagus and vocal cords. I use a Cpap but when I took it off….the problem presented itself. E/R did labs, EKG, CT scan. After consultation with the surgeon, it was determined that the swelling was within limits and I was administered steroids to shrink the swelling. Thank God it wasn’t an infection. As mentioned last week, I’m also dealing with a sinus infection so mucus production is taking up precious real estate with my intake of oxygen. Once again, taking Oxy has calmed down the coughing and aided the draining of my sinus’ to help me breathe. I’m not really a fan of opioids, but here, 5mg has been a godsend in my recovery.

Woke up this morning with a trip back to the E/R. Swelling at the incision site choking off trachea and esophagus and vocal cords. I use a Cpap but when I took it off….the problem presented itself. E/R did labs, EKG, CT scan. After consultation with the surgeon, it was determined that the swelling was within limits and I was administered steroids to shrink the swelling. Thank God it wasn’t an infection. As mentioned last week, I’m also dealing with a sinus infection so mucus production is taking up precious real estate with my intake of oxygen. Once again, taking Oxy has calmed down the coughing and aided the draining of my sinus’ to help me breathe. I’m not really a fan of opioids, but here, 5mg has been a godsend in my recovery.
    5mg is a really low dose, but it is what they give you these days. I have found that for severe pain it really takes 10mg to even make a dent. Back in the day they would give you bottles of the good stuff, but those days are long gone. It is unfortunate that the only pain pills that actually work are also addictive. I currently have a perscription of the 5mls for my knee situation.

Best of luck in your recovery, Gary.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Greg and Gary, I'm glad you guys are both pulling through. I hope you continue to feel better and heal!

Took off Cpap this AM and was breathing fine. The 2 steroid scrips seem to be doing the job shrinking the swelling. BUT my Blood Glucose fasting has jumped to 291! (under 100 normal) Endocrinologist warned me of this and told me to resume my Metformin for steroid courses. BUT....being probably the only Male that actually reads instructions....20+ pages of discharge notes, I'm not supposed to take Metformin for 48 hours after I've had Contrast Dye (for the CT Scan yesterday)

Life Is One Big Story Problem.....I still don't know when the train will arrive from St. Louis!

^^ Smart man WRT reading the notes. Like I always say, just because a doctor has a diploma on his wall, it doesn't mean he graduated at the top of the class.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Took off Cpap this AM and was breathing fine. The 2 steroid scrips seem to be doing the job shrinking the swelling. BUT my Blood Glucose fasting has jumped to 291! (under 100 normal) Endocrinologist warned me of this and told me to resume my Metformin for steroid courses. BUT....being probably the only Male that actually reads instructions....20+ pages of discharge notes, I'm not supposed to take Metformin for 48 hours after I've had Contrast Dye (for the CT Scan yesterday)

Life Is One Big Story Problem.....I still don't know when the train will arrive from St. Louis!
    Yeah, you have to be your own advocate as your care gets even the smallest bit complicated. Other that cholesterol, all my issues are structural. My wife, however, has several issues including diabetes and I watch everything like a hawk. Too many in the medical profession are under the gun to see the next patient and thorough care gets set aside. Good for you, Gary.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Yeah, you have to be your own advocate as your care gets even the smallest bit complicated. Other that cholesterol, all my issues are structural. My wife, however, has several issues including diabetes and I watch everything like a hawk. Too many in the medical profession are under the gun to see the next patient and thorough care gets set aside. Good for you, Gary.
    Not to mention that most medical organizations are understaffed. I really noticed a difference in my recent hospital stay as opposed to 4 years ago. We have a friend who just retired as a nurse at the same hospital and she has plenty of stories about staffs being overloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not to mention that most medical organizations are understaffed.
    Next to getting one from the IRS, the most unwanted letter is the one from the doctor you've had for years announcing he is leaving the practice. I've received two of these within the past year, the latest just four days ago. The letter said there is no one to take over the doctor's patients until the fall. Fortunately, I get to see him a couple weeks before he leaves, so I've got some time to find another. Like a trusted barber retiring, I don't need this aggravation.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The "insurance" companies are the main problem behind most of these issues.