Page 251 of 251 FirstFirst ... 151201241247248249250251
Results 6,251 to 6,273 of 6273

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

I joined this forum as an Old Dude. I just happened to find this place because of a question I had about a concert I went to and the bootleg I have of it and an awesome member here helped me with my question I had... Thanks to Trane, he remembers shit I forgot!

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Next to getting one from the IRS, the most unwanted letter is the one from the doctor you've had for years announcing he is leaving the practice. I've received two of these within the past year, the latest just four days ago. The letter said there is no one to take over the doctor's patients until the fall. Fortunately, I get to see him a couple weeks before he leaves, so I've got some time to find another. Like a trusted barber retiring, I don't need this aggravation.
    I have had the same doctor for years. He is my age and has to be close to retirement. He has a special needs daughter and his youngest may still be in college, but his days are numbered. Not sure what I will do when that happens. He was also my parents and my sister’s doctor and has been very good to our family.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The "insurance" companies are the main problem behind most of these issues.
    The Golden Rule: He who has the gold, makes the rules ....
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I thought I'd do a little update. New heart Valve - check! Next big challenge is 4 days training on home dialysis next week. I'd like if I said it was a piece of cake but it's note and a positive attitude is the key(most of the time!!). I'll have the freedom of doing everything at home, can eventually travel and will feel a fuck of a lot better. Two massive health challenges in the span of weeks. I have a ton of family and friend support and the support here also helps!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I thought I'd do a little update. New heart Valve - check! Next big challenge is 4 days training on home dialysis next week. I'd like if I said it was a piece of cake but it's note and a positive attitude is the key(most of the time!!). I'll have the freedom of doing everything at home, can eventually travel and will feel a fuck of a lot better. Two massive health challenges in the span of weeks. I have a ton of family and friend support and the support here also helps!!

I have a bit of an odd question, but thought I would throw it out there. Have any of you had to use a walker for a long period of time, and if so, how do you prevent wrist pain? I have had wrist pain problems anyway, but using this walker is definitely exacerbating it. Any hints to help combat this?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I've seen walkers where there are padded areas where the user can lean their forearms,
    https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...1000_QL80_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I've seen walkers where there are padded areas where the user can lean their forearms,
    https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...1000_QL80_.jpg
    Interesting. That looks like it would hurt your back walking around bent over like that, but maybe it works differently than that.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Interesting. That looks like it would hurt your back walking around bent over like that, but maybe it works differently than that.
    I think it's height-adjustable and set up so that you're mostly inside the frame and standing upright.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I think it's height-adjustable and set up so that you're mostly inside the frame and standing upright.

Ah, ok that makes more sense.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Thanks for the update, Greg! I've been hanging on your posts. It sounds like you're doing well, but have a lot on your plate. I'm sure you'll be back up to your old tricks soon!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thanks for the update, Greg! I've been hanging on your posts. It sounds like you're doing well, but have a lot on your plate. I'm sure you'll be back up to your old tricks soon!
    Thanks for your kind words Jed. I'm looking forward to returning to my old tricks!! I think it's family and friends that keep my spirits high. I'm greatly looking forward to a few months from now when I'm in great shape.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 1 Week Ago at 10:41 AM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

OK. I did a stoopid thing yesterday and I'll share it. Along with this C5 Vertebrae surgery, I also have a sinus infection. Air going in, air going out competing with snot going down loogies coming up all through the same pipe....and swelling at the incision site pressing against it. Thought I'd take an antihistamine to dry out the mess. It didn't work....it prevented me from coughing enough to keep stuff moving for the day. Wore off by dinner time and all good since then. It's been 8 days now since surgery. No pain. Just sinus pain-assery.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

We ordered a new fridge Friday because the freezer just wasn't getting cold enough to freeze. They said it could be delivered Sunday which worked out fine since my wife started her vacation yesterday. I signed up for them to take the old fridge for $50, but I took it apart yesterday and got it out on the front porch and loaded it in my pick up this morning. New fridge comes around 1PM and after getting it off the truck they want me to come out and look at something. It has a dent about 4/5 up on the back and a couple on one side about one foot off the bottom. The side ones looked like something rubbed against it but the one in the back was hit and you don't know by what or what is behind the dent. I'm sure they would have knocked some money off, but if I wanted a scratch and dent I would have bought one. I guess our food will just stay packed in ice and hope for the best on the next one. They just called and are bringing out another Tuesday.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Just another day of Geezerdom here in the PNW. I've relayed to y'all about my friend who's in his 5th Year of Pancreatic Cancer. This last chemo regimen has really wiped him out. He's calling it quits and signed Death With Dignity papers. He's down to 112lbs! (was 205 in his workout days) It's going to be quite an adjustment to him passing since he's been in my life since 15. We've done road trips, family vacations, parties and just general "goofing off" for decades.

As for me, it's been a few weeks now since my surgery (C5 vertebrae replacement) and things are going well. See the Doc next week for a post-op assessment.
    Later in July we start to address the elevated PSA and possible prostrate cancer.
    I spoke to quite a few Friends & Family yesterday as they called to check in with me Here are a few observations......people want to "pray" for me. I tell them go ahead....it really doesn't mean much to me. Some get a little miffed....I guess they think I'm attacking their faith....I'm not....It just doesn't bring any comfort to me.
    The partial paralysis of my upper left arm is still present. I detect some anger in their voices that ""I'm not back to normal yet." Well, I'M the one with the gimp arm...not them. Is it just their fear that things aren't back to normal yet in "Their World?"
    I DO take comfort in voices of experience. Some have had the same maladies and relayed their workarounds. One friend showed photos of his kitchen workspace with a table vise set up to help open jars / cans etc. Some have given me their thought processes when choosing treatment for prostrate cancer. This was helpful as opposed to Thoughts & Prayers and Just suck it up and be cured. I'll stop here, I'm not sure I'm getting to the point.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

^ Sorry to hear of your impending loss, Gary. My best friend and I go back to high school, and have had many many good times over the years. I expect that kind of loss is like losing family, if you have a good family.

I've always welcomed good thoughts. I think that the knowledge that others are on your side helps your outcome. Belief that 'it's over, no one cares' can hasten the end. The mind and body work together.
    Good to hear that your initial issues have cleared a bit.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Just came home for the delivery of the third refrigerator.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Just came home for the delivery of the third refrigerator.
    I guess third time is the charm. Other than one very small dent in the back it looks to be in mint shape.

Glad you’re on the mend, Gary!

I had to go to the doctor yesterday because I have Bursitis in my right elbow! Not a big deal, but I get to wear an Ace bandage for a few days. I wish everyone else’s ailments were as minor as this!

I completed 4 days of dialysis training this week at the hospital. I'm staying strong/positive. I have so many wonderful things in my life. I can adapt. There are about 20 steps you have to follow completely on using the machine. A bit overwhelming but a nurse is coming to my house u0til I do things perfectly. I've got the machine and all supplies at home. Didn't cost me a penny. I'll eventually be able to travel with this machine. I should also start to feel much better physically.

Good luck with your elbow Jed!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 21 Hours Ago at 09:09 PM.

Didn't cost me a penny...
    Great! That's the way it should be!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I completed 4 days of dialysis training this week at the hospital. I'm staying strong/positive. I have so many wonderful things in my life. I can adapt. There are about 20 steps you have to follow completely on using the machine. A bit overwhelming but a nurse is coming to my house u0til I do things perfectly. I've got the machine and all supplies at home. Didn't cost me a penny. I'll eventually be able to travel with this machine. I should also start to feel much better physically.

Good luck with your elbow Jed!
    I'll manage somehow!