Page 16 of 187 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    No "the", it's just Cardiacs A touchy subject and an in-joke amongst Cardiacs fans. On one website, if you write The Cardiacs, the website is programmed to delete the definite article
    But I wrote "the Cardiacs", not "The Cardiacs" there is a difference. Regardless, I love the Cardiacs!!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    But I wrote "the Cardiacs", not "The Cardiacs" there is a difference. Regardless, I love Cardiacs!!

You did it again at the end there, there is no "the" Fixed that for ya anyway You wouldn't say I love the Abba or I love the Bob Dylan, same thing.

You did it again at the end there, there is no "the" Fixed that for ya anyway You wouldn't say I love the Abba or I love the Bob Dylan, same thing.
    We could start a whole new thread on the subject, and FYI, I don't love Abba or Bob Dylan....thanks for enlightening me and showing me the error of my ways...
    Dave Sr.

WHAT? How can you not love the Abba?

WHAT? How can you not love the Abba?
    I leave that to THE wife...Ironically, I was at Cardiacs fan page and found this

http://cardiacs-fans.livejournal.com/8966.html
    Dave Sr.

Wow, me like! Do you know, are they American, Canadian or British?

Wow, me like! Do you know, are they American, Canadian or British?
    The post that you corrected me on (#374) contained reference to Punishment of Luxury or AKA Punilux as I said in that post, they are from the UK...
    Dave Sr.

Oh yeah, sorry, I've got the short term memory of a.......Just going to get a.......and some biscuits!

Oh yeah, sorry, I've got the short term memory of a.......Just going to get a.......and some biscuits!
    got the munchies?
    Dave Sr.

Well, here's someone else who's taken a chance on Cardiacs and it's paid off big time. On Land and In The Sea has rapidly established itself as one of my all-time favourite albums. Can't get the tunes out of my head. Love especially Arnald, Buds and Spawn and The Everso Closely Guarded Line. Strangely, The Duck and Roger the Horse, which many others cite, hasn't quite taken off with me to the same extent. Don't dislike it; just like most of the others more!

I've only just got Songs for Ships and Irons, but after the first listen, I think I could like that one just as much. Also have A Little Man..., which is nearly in the same league, and also Heaven Born and Ever Bright, which has been a bit of a disappointment in comparison to the others, but I'm giving it time.

Similarities to other music that I've noticed:
    Mare's Nest ---- Gentle Giant's On Reflection
    The Everso Closely Guarded Line ---- there's a musical phrase around the 4:40 mark which reminded me of Henry Cow's Living in the Heart of the Beast, specifically the "High in offices we stared into the turning wheel of cities" line.

By the way, this thread has also really sparked my interest in Uz Jsme Doma, who have also managed to float my boat in a big way, but that's another story. Determined to check out Knifeworld as well.

Two Cardiacs questions I have:

1) Was the split between Tim and Sarah the main reason behind the changes which took place in the band? Such a shame if it was.

2) What musical training did any of them have? None is mentioned in the (rather opaque) biography on their website, but it's amazing if that's the case.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by spacewaltzer View Post
    Well, here's someone else who's taken a chance on Cardiacs and it's paid off big time. On Land and In The Sea has rapidly established itself as one of my all-time favourite albums. Can't get the tunes out of my head. Love especially Arnald, Buds and Spawn and The Everso Closely Guarded Line. Strangely, The Duck and Roger the Horse, which many others cite, hasn't quite taken off with me to the same extent. Don't dislike it; just like most of the others more!

I've only just got Songs for Ships and Irons, but after the first listen, I think I could like that one just as much. Also have A Little Man..., which is nearly in the same league, and also Heaven Born and Ever Bright, which has been a bit of a disappointment in comparison to the others, but I'm giving it time.

Similarities to other music that I've noticed:
    Mare's Nest ---- Gentle Giant's On Reflection
    The Everso Closely Guarded Line ---- there's a musical phrase around the 4:40 mark which reminded me of Henry Cow's Living in the Heart of the Beast, specifically the "High in offices we stared into the turning wheel of cities" line.

By the way, this thread has also really sparked my interest in Uz Jsme Doma, who have also managed to float my boat in a big way, but that's another story. Determined to check out Knifeworld as well.

Two Cardiacs questions I have:

1) Was the split between Tim and Sarah the main reason behind the changes which took place in the band? Such a shame if it was.

2) What musical training did any of them have? None is mentioned in the (rather opaque) biography on their website, but it's amazing if that's the case.
    The only other band that creates this much hysteria to my knowledge is Gustav Mahler. Yeah, it's sort of a joke and sort of not.

Glad to have you aboard, mate! Dude, beautifully acute reference with the Cow tune - right on

I've been harassing people to listen to "Loosefish Scapegrace" for months, I may as well bug you too. Check it out (Songs for Ships) - its one of the best things these ears have ever heard.

Tim for President of the World.

the liasion between tim and sarah makes for some interesting CARDiACS mythology and reading. in a nutshell: after she left CARDiACS she was in THE SEA NYMPHS with tim and also participated on later CARDiACS albums. then, of course, there's this (2nd pic down, can anyone provide better resolution?):

http://thequietus.com/articles/12737...25-anniversary

tim professes to be an entire musical autodidact, which makes his prowess and his compositional genius even more astonishing. william d. drake looks back on extensive classical piano training. no idea about anyone else. jim probably learned to play bass in order to avoid physical punishment.

[QUOTE=spacewaltzer;185462]

By the way, this thread has also really sparked my interest in Uz Jsme Doma, who have also managed to float my boat in a big way, but that's another story.

Very pleased about that -there are very few of us outside the Czech republic it seems. I've been following them for longer than I have the Cardiacs and they never fail to deliver.

Alan

Just finished another run through Ships and Irons. I can tell that Loosefish Scapegrace is going to be a classic, although just for the moment my favourite is There's Too Many Irons in the Fire: the way Tim sings it, you know.I'll have some of what he's on.

Fantastic article at The Quietus too. I wasn't aware of that site until now. Is it generally to be recommended?

Fantastic article at The Quietus too. I wasn't aware of that site until now. Is it generally to be recommended?
    by all means, yes.

Songs For Ships & Irons was the 1st Cardiacs album I bought & I bought it on vinyl on release in 1990, the next one I bought at the time of release was Heaven Born & Ever Bright, and they have always been my first and second favs.

The reason Ships & Irons works so well is the running order, a lot of thought went into that. For example, listen to the way Burn Your House Brown ends and goes into Stoneage Dinosaurs, it's bloody deliberate! "All these big bangs and chords" as Tim once said (at Reading Festival I think).

I picked up the following albums within the last 3 weeks or so:

Archive
    The Seaside
    A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window
    On Land and in the Sea
    All That Glitters is a Mare's Nest
    Heaven Born and Ever Bright
    Sing to God

I haven't got to them all yet, but have been enjoying the ones that I have listend to so far.

My personal favorite songs at the moment are RES, Jibber & Twitch, Buds and Spawn and I'm Eating in Bed.
    Last edited by Joe F.; 11-25-2013 at 07:45 AM.

Just back from my weekend away with my partner and friends. A wonderful weekend staying in a sixteenth century almshouse in Yorkshire, but everyone was wondering why I kept sneaking off into a corner and plugging headphones in to my phone. I couldn't go a weekend without Cardiacs, could I? I'm still going for On Land and In the Sea (the first one I bought) as my favourite, followed very closely by Ships and Irons and then A Little Man... Heaven Born has been growing on me a bit, but I still can't help knowing that especially the first half seems a bit noisy (due to the production I think) and that maybe some subtleties are being lost.

Anyway, I've just received The Seaside, Sing To Go and the Mare's Nest DVD in one parcel. That's going to keep me occupied!

I'm still going for On Land and In the Sea (the first one I bought) as my favourite, followed very closely by Ships and Irons and then A Little Man... Heaven Born has been growing on me a bit, but I still can't help knowing that especially the first half seems a bit noisy
    Back in the day that happened to a lot of us, my intro to Cardiacs was a cassette of On Land & in the Sea that a friend gave me, then Ships & Irons, then when Heaven Born came out & I first heard it, I had the same reaction as you had, as did most other fans back then comparing it to the old sound & old lineup, "WTF is this noise" It took time to get used to the new sound of the recently reduced Cardiacs down to a four man band. Give it time, it will grow on you, the intro and the first track are bloody noisy though.

So I've now had time to absorb the contents of my parcel, and here's the verdict:

The Seaside - pretty much what I was expecting, which means very good!

Mare's Nest DVD - Wow! I've watched this twice, and ended up utterly drained each time. What a performance: utterly absorbing. Feels like you're there now, but you're watching something from the ebst part of a quarter of a century ago

Sing To God - I've got into this pretty quickly. Stylistically it may develop from Heaven Born, but the vocals are mixed much better for one thing, and I just find the songs more memorable. Dog Like Sparky is the one in my head at the moment, although I tip Dirty Boy as possibly the eventual favourite

On the subject of Heaven Born, I'm getting on with it a bit better now. I think Anything I Can't Eat is the only one I'm still not getting anything from at all.

What next then? I've ordered the Sea Nymphs CD, and I'm just downloading William D. Drake's The Rising of the Lights from Bandcamp. This sounds fantastic.

One more newbie-ish question. How is Tim Quy's surname actually pronounced? Is it "kee"/"kwee"/"kwhy"? Never come across the name before. An amusing side note: if you Google for him, you come across something in Vietnamese: Mốt” xuất ngoại tìm “của lạ” của những quý bà là tín đồ tình dục. Probably unrelated

What you need next Spacey is some of the live albums.

If it's Vietnamese it's "kwee". The rest didn't make much sense, according to my wife.
    <sig out of order>

What next then? I've ordered the Sea Nymphs CD, and I'm just downloading William D. Drake's The Rising of the Lights from Bandcamp. This sounds fantastic.
    William D Drake's Briney Hooves is sublime too! If you can find it, Mr & Mrs Smith and Mr Drake is even better than the Sea Nymphs CD.

One more newbie-ish question. How is Tim Quy's surname actually pronounced? Is it "kee"/"kwee"/"kwhy"? Never come across the name before. An amusing side note: if you Google for him, you come across something in Vietnamese: Mốt” xuất ngoại tìm “của lạ” của những quý bà là tín đồ tình dục. Probably unrelated
    It's "kwhy".

Has anyone found the piano covers of Cardiacs songs by Adrian Beckwith here: https://soundcloud.com/barnslou (also on YouTube)? I think they're really pretty good. They certainly bring out the innate beauty of the music. Must get round to listening to the guy's other stuff too.

Has anyone found the piano covers of Cardiacs songs by Adrian Beckwith here: https://soundcloud.com/barnslou (also on YouTube)? I think they're really pretty good. They certainly bring out the innate beauty of the music. Must get round to listening to the guy's other stuff too.
    These are great!! Thanks!

Relistened to Songs for Ships and Irons a few times with week. Man, there is some amazing music on here. Loosefish, and really the second half of the album totally blew me away. Cardiacs rule!
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa