Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

^ ^ ^

I got mine today as well!

It's quite lavish and lovely.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"the masses have spoken, and this has appropriately vanished into the great Prog boner pile in the sky."

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

It is indeed, and I can't wait to spend quality time with it. One thing: the description on the website and accompanying photo show and describe copies of manuscripts, a poster, and a turntable slipmat. Unless there's a secret compartment I haven't found, none of that swag is included in my set. Don't mistake me here, the book, LP and CDs are worth every penny of the cost, but can anyone else who has received this box share whether or not this was the case with yours as well?
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

^^^^^

The slipmat, poster, manuscripts were in the pocket with the vinyl lp.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

"the masses have spoken, and this has appropriately vanished into the great Prog boner pile in the sky."

Thanks, Steve, I was afraid someone was going to say that. It was the first place I thought to look, and other than the LP the cupboard was bare. I should probably contact Mary, right? I hate to be "that guy", but I really was looking forward to trying to decipher those bits of written music...
    David

^^^^^

Yes, contact Mary.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    It's a happy day here in the flyovers

Attachment 17289
    I couldnt open it for a few hours. That package was sublime. Puffy lovely thing!
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Thanks, Steve, I was afraid someone was going to say that. It was the first place I thought to look, and other than the LP the cupboard was bare. I should probably contact Mary, right? I hate to be "that guy", but I really was looking forward to trying to decipher those bits of written music...
    Oh no! Yeah. Mary can hopefully sort you out. That is dreadful to hear. All the best!

Its a great poster! This is now my home workstation.
    Am I too old for that as a 56 year old? Nahhh!

20231116_095605.jpg

Update: I sent a message to Mary through the cardiacs.net website and received a response within a day. An envelope-o-goodies is on the way to me!
    David

Update: I sent a message to Mary through the cardiacs.net website and received a response within a day. An envelope-o-goodies is on the way to me!
    GOtta love Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    GOtta love Mary.
    Indeed!
    David

WILLIAM D. DRAKE NEW SINGLE!

Mr Drake’s new single is given with a big heart, and offers hope and harmony in these bewildering times.
    2024 will see the release of a new album and a return to the live circuit - stay tuned.

https://williamddrake.bandcamp.com/t...TXb3P5zmIUpnTA

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    WILLIAM D. DRAKE NEW SINGLE!

Mr Drake’s new single is given with a big heart, and offers hope and harmony in these bewildering times.
    2024 will see the release of a new album and a return to the live circuit - stay tuned.

https://williamddrake.bandcamp.com/t...TXb3P5zmIUpnTA
    A superb beatle-esque popsong!
    Looking forward to the new album.

Good news!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    A superb beatle-esque popsong!
    Looking forward to the new album.
    Awww yeah!

The deluxe edition of "A Little Man" is a thing of beauty! I got mine today.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Remus View Post
    The deluxe edition of "A Little Man" is a thing of beauty! I got mine today.
    Congrats, and indeed it is.

Some of you fully-initiated Cardiacs listeners might like to know:
    I listened to the whole "Guns" album today for the first time, pretty fabulous as YOU all know already. I'd heard "Jitterbug (Junior is A)" many times before, because I'm fascinated by that ending section, and those more ethereal moments are my faves from Tim and the group, but this morning was the first time I played the whole album and it certainly gave me that kick which only great songwriting can give. Before this morning, the only Cardiacs album I had listened to in its entirety was "Sing to God", which was the first of theirs I heard, back around 2013 or so.

Why haven't I listened to more? There's so much great writing and playing and singing on just those two albums, and the first half of Sing to God alone gave me more than enough to chew on for a long time.

As for the original posters' question "where to start", since I only know those two albums thus far, if I had to pick one as a starting place it would be Guns, because it's shorter and more condensed, and has a bit of everything from hard rockin' to the ethereal.

BD
    www.bdrak.com
    https://bdstudio.bandcamp.com/
    Last edited by Bob Drake; 12-28-2023 at 03:16 AM.

Guns is one I've come around to a lot lately, in the past it felt kind of "Cardiacs-lite" to me but in retrospect everything else the band does is so bonkers that pulling back a little is actually kind of a good thing, since it exposes how brilliant they really are in a melodic sense. on STG it feels like that side of them sometimes gets run over by a freight train. and it's got songs you can kinda dance to!
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

"Guns" was the first Cardiacs I heard, so I guess it must work as a starting point :-D.

On a holiday break from work and I've finally had the time to properly dive into the Little Man box, and what a complete joy it is. The book is gorgeous, and the essay with interviews about the making of the recording is very heartfelt and moving. The album proper, extra recordings from the sessions plus the live gig and radio broadcasts (which I assume are also mostly live) are so saturated with commitment from everyone involved as to be palpable. The whole package really serves to fill in the picture I already had in my mind for this music with technicolor brilliance. As is alluded to in the essay, this music gives the listener license to imagine all the extreme possibilities laid out in the lyrics, and encourages one towards their own personal weirdness in the most positive way. It makes me wish I had been born in the UK as I would have been at a fine age to experience it all first-hand, but the fact that I found my way to it late in life is beautiful as well. Thanks to Mary and the entire ABC family for making it available, and again, to the PE community for being the home to an extended discussion of the band that finally twinkled enough in my peripheral vision that I turned and looked.
    David

Bob - Glad you dig Guns - it's a scorcher! One of my fav Tim tunes ever is "Wind and Rains is Cold"...beautiful atmosphere, chords/melodies, and arrangement. I think Sharron Saddington sings on that as well, amazing.

If you haven't checked out The Special Garage Concerts (with Kavus), try not to miss that one. Tim's early compositions are essentially as good as anything he ever wrote (imo at least), and you get TIGHT and blistering playing, plus updated sound and some new arrangements. It's brilliant! Probably my most played live album of the past ten (?) or so years now? Not probably...it definitely is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    Some of you fully-initiated Cardiacs listeners might like to know:
    I listened to the whole "Guns" album today for the first time, pretty fabulous as YOU all know already. I'd heard "Jitterbug (Junior is A)" many times before, because I'm fascinated by that ending section, and those more ethereal moments are my faves from Tim and the group, but this morning was the first time I played the whole album and it certainly gave me that kick which only great songwriting can give. Before this morning, the only Cardiacs album I had listened to in its entirety was "Sing to God", which was the first of theirs I heard, back around 2013 or so.

Why haven't I listened to more? There's so much great writing and playing and singing on just those two albums, and the first half of Sing to God alone gave me more than enough to chew on for a long time.

As for the original posters' question "where to start", since I only know those two albums thus far, if I had to pick one as a starting place it would be Guns, because it's shorter and more condensed, and has a bit of everything from hard rockin' to the ethereal.

BD
    www.bdrak.com
    https://bdstudio.bandcamp.com/
    Guns was my IN. Jitterbug was the one that hooked me and kept me coming back until the fishermen reeled me in. Like you that back end to the song was so friggin insanely cool and progggy that I couldnt stop from playing it. Have a good time rolling out the rest, Bob!

I've been getting into Cardiacs since August, and have read through most of this thread on my journey. In the interest of the conversation above, Guns is one that took me more than one listen to truly love (unlike my in, which was ALMAAHATWWW which I loved from the beginning). I love it now though, in all of its glamorous glory. I know it's probably not the first song to spring to mind from the album for most people, but I adore "Clean That Evil Mud Out Your Soul," it's everso zippy-sounding and fun.

I also love that people earlier in this thread noted the similarities Cardiacs have with older Kinks music. Back in high school, before I got into prog at all, I enjoyed some of the weirder Kinks stuff (This was like 2019, not when it was still new). "Brainwashed," "Shangri-La," "Here Comes Flash" and of course "Suzannah's Still Alive" definitely prepared me to pick up Cardiacs easily. Their very British lyrics also mentally prepared me for Genesis and the Canterbury scene, haha.
    Last edited by Snikle; 01-16-2024 at 08:19 PM.

^ Outstanding...and congrats! Always more room in the pond