Page 20 of 188 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Oh yeah...he does say 'Piss Off' at that point. Also, my fall from the chair a little before is absolutely genuine too.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Oh yeah...he does say 'Piss Off' at that point. Also, my fall from the chair a little before is absolutely genuine too.
    Ha! Yeah, was going to ask you about that one too

LOVE those two videos - I never get tired of watching them....

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Nice, the most recent one by WDD, The Rising Of The Lights, is an excellent album.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

YES IT IS. The first one is magic, though.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    In that case I better buy it
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Nice, the most recent one by WDD, The Rising Of The Lights, is an excellent album.
    Good god, man!

I love the the last one and think it's pretty magical. Will be buying as soon as it hits a US vendor.

chalkpie
    folder+cardiacs.jpg

Just got this in the mail. Never heard it before. Excited. Thanks Steve.

One of my favourite things. Bought this on 'proper cassette' back in the late eighties.

I love the beautiful, recorded on a four track, vibe throughout. So curious, English and atmospheric.
    As with all Cardiacs related stuff there's not a weak track anywhere but Dergo and Your Removal Of Me are particularly special.
    Dergo is a fucking tearjerker.

I wasn't sure what to think at first, but I'm a Mr and Mrs Smith and Mr Drake convert now. Beautiful stuff. Cardiacs and related put me in mind of when I first discovered Zappa and Beefheart - I'd bring home new albums and think "good lord, I don't know about THIS". Then, I'd give it a few more listens and it would become my new favorite thing ever!! It's nice to be challenged (and rewarded) again by music.

Great!! I love this album, finally get to own it...

chalkpie
    One of my favourite things. Bought this on 'proper cassette' back in the late eighties.

I love the beautiful, recorded on a four track, vibe throughout. So curious, English and atmospheric.
    As with all Cardiacs related stuff there's not a weak track anywhere but Dergo and Your Removal Of Me are particularly special.
    Dergo is a fucking tearjerker.
    Loved it.

I only heard it once but its flippin outstanding. Yes, those tracks are stand-outs but the entire thing is great. I love that Tim plays so much acoustic on this. Bottom line is that his harmonic progressions are genius - nothing else to argue about. Seems like two different sessions to me - sort of two different sonic 'qualities' happening - but this is only one spin so far.

Really glad I got it, but then everything this cat touches is gold.

A great review of On Land and in the Sea from our friends at the Quietus ...

http://thequietus.com/articles/15286...the-sea-review

chalkpie
    A great review of On Land and in the Sea from our friends at the Quietus ...

http://thequietus.com/articles/15286...the-sea-review
    Pretty great article. This guy is passionate about Tim and his music. Thanks man.

Just as an FYI Jon Poole is playing with Lifesigns these days...

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by soblivious View Post
    Just as an FYI Jon Poole is playing with Lifesigns these days...
    Is this Alex's new band? Sorry, bad Rush joke.

Who are these fuckers?

chalkpie
    f725a56139c639045daab3a42a8_prev.jpg

Yeah, again right now on headphones. Bad mastering - harsh with a brittle bottom end - BUT what an album. Tell you now - if this is an undiscovered Cardiacs album for you - wait until this thing bites. I listen to this way more than Sing To God these days, mostly because I don't know it as well, plus I think it's as good. Less production, but the writing is masterful. I read that this is Tim's favorite album (was that on here?) - I guess the only cat here that would know is Sir Kavus.....

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

Yeah, again right now on headphones. Bad mastering - harsh with a brittle bottom end - BUT what an album. Tell you now - if this is an undiscovered Cardiacs album for you - wait until this thing bites. I listen to this way more than Sing To God these days, mostly because I don't know it as well, plus I think it's as good. Less production, but the writing is masterful. I read that this is Tim's favorite album (was that on here?) - I guess the only cat here that would know is Sir Kavus.....
    This one and Guns are probably the two I've spent the least time absorbing so far, but I'll get to them in due time. The production, in all truth, does make it a bit hard but it isn't a total show stopper either.

That said...the big ABC theme at the start of Heaven is definitely a riot
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Whenever a newbie asks where to start, I always suggest 1. Ships for Songs & Irons 2. HB & EB and 3. Greatest Hits.

Newbie here, but I just wanted to say I finally got around to listening to this band thanks in part to this thread and pretty much instantly became obsessed. I've got The Seaside, Ships and Irons, A Little Man, and On Land and in the Sea right now. Gonna order the rest of the studio albums when I get my paycheck next week. So glad Wayside made the CDs relatively affordable in the US. Great band!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    This one and Guns are probably the two I've spent the least time absorbing so far, but I'll get to them in due time. The production, in all truth, does make it a bit hard but it isn't a total show stopper either.

That said...the big ABC theme at the start of Heaven is definitely a riot
    The first two tracks on HB might be the best shit Tim ever wrote.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazoinks View Post
    Newbie here, but I just wanted to say I finally got around to listening to this band thanks in part to this thread and pretty much instantly became obsessed. I've got The Seaside, Ships and Irons, A Little Man, and On Land and in the Sea right now. Gonna order the rest of the studio albums when I get my paycheck next week. So glad Wayside made the CDs relatively affordable in the US. Great band!
    Cheers mate

Love to hear this. Enjoy the ride........

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

I remember I was slightly dissapointed with it when it came out at the time. I was still a real proghead when I started listening to Cardiacs. from marillion to A little man was already a giant step and the step to HBEB was another big one. their most 'punkish' record they ever did. Now I think it is as good as any other release. Favourites are TABC, Goodbye Grace and for good and all. I just never warmed up for Snakes-a-sleeping. I feels a bit redundant after all the greatness that went before.

I still believe that in a fair world 'Day is gone' should have been a massive indie hit for them.

All of them are Tim's favourites as far as I remember.