Page 36 of 187 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

I'm loving the Garage Concerts discs ... they're like a best-of package, with loads of amazing energy. I keep going back to Disc 1. Right now, "As Cold As Can Be in an English Sea" is my favorite Cardiacs cut by far, but there are a lot of other ones really growing on me.

I like to spend my time with Cardiacs. I played disc 1 of StG over and over and virtually ignored disc 2 up until a month ago. Now I've switched! Doing the same with Garage Concerts. It's heavy stuff that deserves multiple listens to uncover and appreciate.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    When I go on road trips with the wife I put my ipod on shuffle and Christine reserves the right to bounce any track she hates, I keep a count going in my head of who is the must bounced. On the 14 hour round trip to Orion Cardiacs came round about a dozen times and she didn't bounce them once, I might be wearing her down!

The most bounced bands of this trip were Present, Samla Mammaz Manna & Magma.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

And with that, now I really wanted to hear Maltid.

Skip to 2.24
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Sounds like a good day to pull out the Samla box set.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

chalkpie
    That Samla video is totally sick! Imagine seeing that in a biker bar in Detroit.....

Samla, awesome! Though as this is a Cardiacs thread, I half expected to see a teenage Tim Smith grinning in the audience.

I am ashamed to admit that Samla Mammas Manna is still a black hole in my record collection.

I tried finding that Box-set but it seems to be sold out everywhere.

Box sets going OOP paranoia and fear and regret. That could be a thread all by itself.

I still regret not having snapped up that Magma box set from a few years back. Vowed to never let that happen again. I'd much rather have the 30-40 years with the music than the $150.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Samla, awesome! Though as this is a Cardiacs thread, I half expected to see a teenage Tim Smith grinning in the audience.
    Don't you think there's an aesthetic circus-like connection somewhat that links Cardiacs, Etron, FZ, Samla, PoiL, Hamster Theater, Miriodor, Ailamamanananana Vassaraaaattt, Ivo Papasov, etc etc?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Don't you think there's an aesthetic circus-like connection somewhat that links Cardiacs, Etron, FZ, Samla, PoiL, Hamster Theater, Miriodor, Ailamamanananana Vassaraaaattt, Ivo Papasov, etc etc?
    You left out Fugazi :P

Calle Debauche & Stop Motion Orchestra have the same vibe.
    Ian

I'm one of the 212.

Oh yes. Samla are the Swedish Mothers - even the vocals remind me a bit of Flo and Eddy. Cardiacs, Gong, etc took what FZ did and put an English slant on the humor and made it their own; but yeah - the 'funny' music gene is shared by all of these groups.

chalkpie
    Oh yes. Samla are the Swedish Mothers - even the vocals remind me a bit of Flo and Eddy. Cardiacs, Gong, etc took what FZ did and put an English slant on the humor and made it their own; but yeah - the 'funny' music gene is shared by all of these groups.
    It would be fun to do an entire show with all of these type of groups eh?

It would be fun to do an entire show with all of these type of groups eh?
    Yeah! The cohost offer is still open, by the way.

chalkpie
    Yeah! The cohost offer is still open, by the way.
    Sounds fun - although I LOATHE hearing myself talk!! Its definitely some bizarre mental condition. We'll talk...

Sounds fun - although I LOATHE hearing myself talk!! Its definitely some bizarre mental condition. We'll talk...
    "Deep Cuts Presents ... Funny Music with Ian and Frankie." No?

Yeah, every aspect of that tune is mindblowing - the melodies, chord progressions, slow rising crescendo throughout, vocals, guitars, etc. It reaches somewhere deeper than most rock tunes for me.
    +1 on all of the above.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I had my big Wayside Cardiacs Unboxing event last night. I'll let you know my thoughts soon.

Looking forward to making my Sea Nymphs purchase. Hint, hint, Steve...

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    When I go on road trips with the wife I put my ipod on shuffle and Christine reserves the right to bounce any track she hates, I keep a count going in my head of who is the must bounced. On the 14 hour round trip to Orion Cardiacs came round about a dozen times and she didn't bounce them once, I might be wearing her down!

The most bounced bands of this trip were Present, Samla Mammaz Manna & Magma.
    Those are some high-end rejects My wife tends to dislike any proggy-prog with fiddly synths, but doesn't bat an eye over anything approaching the avant end.

And with that, now I really wanted to hear Maltid.
    An absolute must. These guys were truly one of a kind.

That Samla video is totally sick! Imagine seeing that in a biker bar in Detroit.....
    They would win the audience over, no doubt. Those are some funny guys. My favorite ever music related thing was being able to hang around with them at ProgDay 2003, even if they did criticize my driving and hotbox my car.

This just in:

We have a new employee at Wayside World HQ, named Lindsey.
    She's totally great and wryly funny and is a total metal head, but also interested hearing some of the stuff we sell as well.

She asked to hear Cardiacs and we played her some and her reaction was classic:

"It was ok, but not really my thing. It was the sound of 1,000 British flags waving"
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

"It was ok, but not really my thing. It was the sound of 1,000 British flags waving"
    That's brilliant.

olympics-british-flag-waving.jpg
    Ian

I'm one of the 212.

She really did nail it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

HAHAHA. Perfect.