Page 52 of 187 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 4674

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    If i recall correctly, at the last convention in 2013 the Mares Nest dvd was available from on the day with no prior announcement, so i'm hopeful that we'll get something this time too. New Sea Nymphs has been rumoured for a while and of course the Garage Rehearsals are touted to come out one day.....

Also coming soon: Bill Drake's new one and NSRO are recording again
    These three are very good news.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I'll check when I get home but I think its a Panasonic.
    Its a Panasonic DMP-BD87...like that even matters!

I do know it doesn't like the Maresnest Concert, but it does dig Magma Epok 2. Fuckin' piece of shit!

Bloody Hell!

chalkpie
    Is anybody besides Kavus here going to the gig? I'm flying to England in August, so this one is out (unfortunately). Besides the amazing live music, just to be around Cardiacs fanatics and hearing the tunes spun with other fans must be a trip and a half. Pretty bummed I can't be there.

chalkpie
    I also adore this tune. Never knew they played it live either! What a gem!

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    A B-side collection would also be cool.

I know this is being re-released (and I ordered it), but still - one CD with all of those stray gems would be sweet.

Devils
    Sang 'All Away Away!'
    Hurricane
    Gen
    Goosegash
    Spinney
    What Paradise Is For
    Made All Up
    eeerrrrmmm.........I already have such a CD......eeeeerrr.....I can't say anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    eeerrrrmmm.........I already have such a CD......eeeeerrr.....I can't say anymore.
    You have WHAT?

Mister, your untoward admission of piracy in a public forum can only mean two things:

Either the all-seeing ALPHABET BUSINESS CONCERN has granted you special dispensation for your aural licentiousness (unlikely) OR you yourself are a cog in the ceaselessly humming engine of the very organization you have purportedly defrauded. I suspect the latter and any denial from you will only confirm this suspicion.

Your viperous cunning has been duly noted - we shall not PM you with a request for a copy of the illegitimate recordings you have so nonchalantly touted above. Obviously, you are merely testing our loyalty to the ALPHABET BUSINESS CONCERN. For this, we applaud you.

Please report back to your feudal lords that no one here will take your bait, as we all shall remain unfaltering in our devotion to the ALPHABET BUSINESS CONCERN forevermore. Hail majestic corporate light!
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Did someone by chance mention when thet killer rehearsal vid will be released?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Is anybody besides Kavus here going to the gig?
    Kavus is (part of) the gig, haha.

I, on the other hand, am in the category of going to the gig. (It's in my county - Wiltshire. It's a good county for music. Nobody talks about a 'Wiltshire music scene' however. Maybe because there isn't one. But still great stuff comes out of here).

Also really looking forward to the new William D Drake album - a really wonderful writer.

Richard

chalkpie
    Another gem I've been digging hard lately. The sequence of chords on the chorus is amazing.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Karda Estra View Post
    Kavus is (part of) the gig, haha.

I, on the other hand, am in the category of going to the gig. (It's in my county - Wiltshire. It's a good county for music. Nobody talks about a 'Wiltshire music scene' however. Maybe because there isn't one. But still great stuff comes out of here).

Also really looking forward to the new William D Drake album - a really wonderful writer.

Richard
    Enjoy the gig man! We're gonna be in Bath in August - is that is Wiltshire?

Another gem I've been digging hard lately. The sequence of chords on the chorus is amazing.

The chorus of this song slays me. Joyously cathartic. OceanLandWorld has really grown in my estimation over the last few months, it's a beautiful album.

Enjoy the gig man! We're gonna be in Bath in August - is that is Wiltshire?
    Cheers - will do. Really looking forward to it.

Bath's not in Witshire but close by in Somerset. It's all 'the west country'. It's a nice city to visit, for sure.

Richard

chalkpie
    Another just amazing tune that seems to fly under the radar. LOVE LOVE that chorus. This guy has the midas touch.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazoinks View Post
    The chorus of this song slays me. Joyously cathartic. OceanLandWorld has really grown in my estimation over the last few months, it's a beautiful album.

Man. That chorus in Fanny is really something. You don't write that by accident.

“Don’t You Ail” is another great one from that Pony album. And "Sparrows"? Man, that is one of the most unbelievable tunes! Only 01:53 short, but epic as fook anyway; Tim's bass playing is tasty.
    Last edited by at least 100 dead; 04-21-2015 at 02:07 AM.

Another just amazing tune that seems to fly under the radar. LOVE LOVE that chorus. This guy has the midas touch.

What’s he singing at around 3:04? “We could be zombie fish”?

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    What’s he singing at around 3:04? “We could be zombie fish”?
    This may help:

http://www.exclassics.com/espoke/espkpdf.pdf

I've made a mini-study of Cardiacs fans regarding studio albums:

Most older fans who started listening in the 80s seem to love Heaven Born & Ever Bright but don't really like Guns that much and place STG after Seaside, OLAITS and ALMAHATWWW.

Most Newer fans who started listening in the 00s seem to love STG and OLAITS but don't really like Heaven Born & Ever Bright that much and place Seaside after ALMAHATWWW and Guns.

Moi?

1. HB & EB
    2. The Seaside
    3. OLAITS
    4. ALMAHATWWW
    5. STG
    6. Guns

....or something.....

I am an 'older' fan (since a little man) and i do not fit the description

1 STG
    2 OLAITS
    3 SFSAI
    4 ALMAHHATWWW
    5 Guns
    6 the Seaside
    7 HB & EB
    8 Archive

But really they are all fantastic. I consider Spratleys Japs to be the secret extra Cardiacs album. I would place that one on 5, before Guns.

I've made a mini-study of Cardiacs fans regarding studio albums:

Most older fans who started listening in the 80s seem to love Heaven Born & Ever Bright but don't really like Guns that much and place STG after Seaside, OLAITS and ALMAHATWWW.

Most Newer fans who started listening in the 00s seem to love STG and OLAITS but don't really like Heaven Born & Ever Bright that much and place Seaside after ALMAHATWWW and Guns.

1. HB & EB
    2. The Seaside
    3. OLAITS
    4. ALMAHATWWW
    5. STG
    6. Guns
    Interesting.

I got on board in late 2010/early 2011 and *do* think StG is perhaps their best - maybe 'cause it was my first or just because more Cardiacs = better Cardiacs.

To me, Guns and HB&EV are about equal (both top-tier).

Can't rank them, though.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I am an 'older' fan (since a little man) and i do not fit the description
    No, that's because you're a Dutch freak and we love you! Got any Cardiacs tattoos?

chalkpie
    I would be lying if I tried to rank these albums since I have come to love each and every one for different reasons, but I really place "Songs for Ships" up or near the top. Odd that it wasn't a "real" album per se, either. As per my avatar I have also come to adore "Heaven Born" as well. They are all flippin' amazing. I've been spinning disc two to "Sing" a lot lately as well as the 7 compilations I made.

No, that's because you're a Dutch freak and we love you! Got any Cardiacs tattoos?
    No, but I have a dog named Sparky. Does that count as well?

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    It's like a precursor to www.babelfish.com

Or something.