Page 86 of 187 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136186 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 4660

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

So I'm sure this has been talked about craploads... Wireless --- I'm guessing an homage to Giggy Smile?

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    So I'm sure this has been talked about craploads... Wireless --- I'm guessing an homage to Giggy Smile?
    I think you mean Läuft from Faust IV. Well, "homage" is rather euphemistic - those Cardidawgs ripped off Faust, pure & simple! (I like Wireless better, actually.)

EDIT: And, yes, this has been discussed some time ago with chalkpie eloquently concluding that he didn’t “give a fuck about it”. I concur 100%. Good artists borrow, great ones steal etc.
    Last edited by at least 100 dead; 12-17-2015 at 10:23 AM.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    I think you mean Läuft from Faust IV. Well, "homage" is rather euphemistic - those Cardidawgs ripped off Faust, pure & simple! (I like Wireless better, actually.)

EDIT: And, yes, this has been discussed some time ago with chalkpie eloquently concluding that he didn’t “give a fuck about it”. I concur 100%. Good artists borrow, great ones steal etc.
    Rip off - Homage - whatever you want to call it... I dig it. Kicks ass. Both songs. It's Giggy Smile unless somehow the songs are labelled wrong.

Rip off - Homage - whatever you want to call it... I dig it. Kicks ass. Both songs. It's Giggy Smile unless somehow the songs are labelled wrong.
    Your songs are labeled wrong (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust_IV#Track_listing). Läuft is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by dfan View Post
    Your songs are labeled wrong (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust_IV#Track_listing). Läuft is correct.
    Welp... there ya go. Only been 20+ years operating on the wrong song titles. haha. Thanks for the link dfan. At Least 100 Dead --- thanks for the kick in the head. :P

At Least 100 Dead --- thanks for the kick in the head. :P
    Hey, my pleasure! Wots more fun than kicking a droog in the gulliver?

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Got it
    And...what sayeth thee, Sir Zomby?

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Hey, my pleasure! Wots more fun than kicking a droog in the gulliver?

And...what sayeth thee, Sir Zomby?
    So much love and care taken to this, the packaging and the sound. The 'new' tracks add a much needed breather in the middle of what has always been a hard rocking album. Love the Nymphsy version of Little Man and Dinner Time is a gem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Seaside boxset is not showing up yet so I had to do this while waiting....

I only just got my shipping notification e-mail on the 22nd., so I'm not expecting my Seaside digipack any time soon. But I've got plenty to listen to right now as it is, and it will make for a nice treat in the otherwise dreary month of January!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    My Seaside boxset is not showing up yet so I had to do this while waiting....
    Dude! That was pretty damn fabulous!! Loved this interpretation, and once again shines a different light and angle on what a beautiful composer Tim is, even in the quicker rockier tunes. The beauty of this music at its barebones essence is brilliantly exemplified by your version. Well done and judos

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    So you're telling me I need this right?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Dude! That was pretty damn fabulous!! Loved this interpretation, and once again shines a different light and angle on what a beautiful composer Tim is, even in the quicker rockier tunes. The beauty of this music at its barebones essence is brilliantly exemplified by your version. Well done and judos
    Thank you Chalkpie!
    Yes, I think that basically every Tim song could show many other aspects of it if you know how to pick them!
    That was the version that, along with Fear and Dirty Boy, we played at the last Tim benefit in Kingston...

Glad you loved it! More is coming, but it must absolutely be a work of art, not something to do "just because we can" if you know what I mean... but I got some weird and unusual ideas in my mind!

So I decided to dunk my head in a barrel of Cardiacs ( after reading some of this thread ).
    So this is what is on the way.
    Cardiacs - Sing To God 2 x CDs
    Cardiacs - On Land and in the Sea
    Cardiacs - Songs For Ships and Irons
    Cardiacs - The Seaside (original edition restored)

Hope it lives up to all the heaps of love.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    So I decided to dunk my head in a barrel of Cardiacs ( after reading some of this thread ).

ALL great choices. Start with Songs for Ships! You need A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window, too - on account of it being one of them most perfect albums ever ...

Those are good choices, a fine mix of the old and the 'new'. Hope you give them some time to bed in. I'm guessing you've heard some tunes right? Going in blind (or deaf) with that many purchases is a bold move man

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    Those are good choices, a fine mix of the old and the 'new'. Hope you give them some time to bed in. I'm guessing you've heard some tunes right? Going in blind (or deaf) with that many purchases is a bold move man
    A baptism of fire, so to speak. Just have heard some youtube snippets.
    My tastes are very wide ranging ... so ...we shall see.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Your life will be better because of that order.

Welcome to the funny farm!

Sing to God was my first Cardiacs album and it only took Eden on the Air to convert me. There’s such a wealth of material on CD I alone, one could listen to just that for a few weeks. How can you beat Fairy Mary Mag, Bellyeye, A Horse’s Tail or Manhoo? You can’t!

So...a few months ago, following some recommendations from everyone here, I picked up A Little Man, Songs for Ships, and On Land from Wayside Music. I played those three albums more than I EVER could have anticipated, to the point that my iTunes most played songs are around 90% Cardiacs. Right around Thanksgiving, I picked up Sing to God and Guns, both of which are well on the way to etching themselves permanently onto the surface of my brain. As I anticipated, my family's response has been much more mixed, although my 7 year old brother says they're his favorite band ever and constantly asks me to play the likes of Dog-Like Sparky, R.E.S., and Tarred & Feathered. I didn't quite expect that.

Now I have placed an order for Seaside, HB&EB, and Mare's Nest, and am looking forward to hearing them when I get back to school. I also came across Tim's solo album for a good price on Amazon, and picked it up as well.

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU from me to all of you on PE (and not my wallet) for turning me onto what is now easily one of my favorite bands. I feel like I also ought to thank Steve F. and everyone else who keeps Wayside afloat, because their service has really been exceptional. I appreciate having a place where these albums are easily accessible!

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for where to go next, fire away!

P.S. Is Pony currently out of stock on Wayside, and if so, are there any plans to get more? I'm starting to think I might need to get it.

Can anyone suggest a platform for a personal blog where I can load up my files of rare Cardaics recordings?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Can anyone suggest a platform for a personal blog where I can load up my files of rare Cardaics recordings?
    wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by MDC View Post
    I feel like I also ought to thank Steve F. and everyone else who keeps Wayside afloat, because their service has really been exceptional. I appreciate having a place where these albums are easily accessible! .
    Well, that was very nice to read at 7:27 am. Thank you.

P.S. Is Pony currently out of stock on Wayside, and if so, are there any plans to get more? I'm starting to think I might need to get it.
    Yes, it's currently out of stock. Our 'plans' as such are to keep all Cardiacs and Cardiacs related materials that are in print in stock as much as possible, but sometimes we do run out of things and it's a little while before we need enough things that a restock order is possible. But soon. Hopefully before the end of January.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Thanks O, I'll look into that.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for where to go next, fire away!
    You are doing a pretty good job hitting the main catalog. I see Spratleys Japs is already on your radar, and I'd add the Sea Nymphs (/Mr and Mrs Smith and Mr Drake) and Tim's OceanLandWorld. William D Drake's solo material also has its moments.