Page 21 of 188 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The first two tracks on HB might be the best shit Tim ever wrote.
    Not far off anyway!

chalkpie
    Yeah, "ABC (Home of Fadeless Splendour)" again right now. But then I have to play "She is Hiding..." also. And the next one. Repeat.

Me too. and March, Grace, Core, Bodysbad, Day is Gone (the hit single ) they're all gems!

Took 'Heaven Born' along for the drive into work this morning. Tried skipping the first track and jumping straight into the next song. Seems to have worked; its the first time I've really been able to dig into and appreciate the songs. Made it through 'Helen and Heaven' by the time I got to work. Will start from there for the trip home. Still...kind of nice to have even a small eureka moment with this one
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Still...kind of nice to have even a small eureka moment with this one
    I believe congrats are in order. Welcome ot the club!

Cheers
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

After reading high praise for Cardiacs here and elsewhere over the last couple of years i decided to dip my toe in the water and bought "Greatest Hits" a few months ago.

I just got "Sing To God" a few days ago and i ordered "A Little Man."...... today.

I find the music rather challenging, dense and sometimes kind of exhausting.There's so much happening,i sometimes long for more.....space in the music,but this is what Cardiacs do and i'm more than prepared to strap myself in and take the ride.

It's a rewarding ride, so far.More of what is happening in the music reveals itself to(for) me with each concentrated,attentive listen.
    Last edited by walt; 05-29-2014 at 10:33 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Awesome walt...I hope it pays off for you

I've been on a kick lately, myself, and have been playing A Little Man and Songs for Ships and Irons on repeat........

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    After reading high praise for Cardiacs here and elsewhere over the last couple of years i decided to dip my toe in the water and bought "Greatest Hits" a few months ago.

I just got "Sing To God" a few days ago and i ordered "A Little Man."...... today.

I find the music rather challenging, dense and sometimes kind of exhausting.There's so much happening,i sometimes long for more.....space in the music,but this is what Cardiacs do and i'm more than prepared to strap myself in and take the ride.

It's a rewarding ride, so far.More of what is happening in the music reveals itself to(for) me with each concentrated,attentive listen.
    They're definitely a very in-your-face band, which I imagine is a big reason why they rub some people the wrong way. Although from what I hear, Sing To God is their most overbearing album, so there's that. :P

It took a while, but I think On Land and in the Sea has outgrown A Little Man Etc. as my favorite album (I've heard) of theirs. I especially love Two Bites of Cherry and The Duck and Roger The Horse. The thing that I found really odd about On Land the first time I listened to it was how much longer than a Little Man it felt, despite only having two more songs and being slightly shorter. It's just that there's so much stuff going on in each song that every three minute song feels like a six minute one. And that's not a complaint!

Also, only tangentially related, but I picked up the Knifeworld album this week and was really impressed by it. Great work Kavus and friends, really looking forward to The Unraveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazoinks View Post
    They're definitely a very in-your-face band, which I imagine is a big reason why they rub some people the wrong way. Although from what I hear, Sing To God is their most overbearing album, so there's that. :P

It took a while, but I think On Land and in the Sea has outgrown A Little Man Etc. as my favorite album (I've heard) of theirs. I especially love Two Bites of Cherry and The Duck and Roger The Horse. The thing that I found really odd about On Land the first time I listened to it was how much longer than a Little Man it felt, despite only having two more songs and being slightly shorter. It's just that there's so much stuff going on in each song that every three minute song feels like a six minute one. And that's not a complaint!

Also, only tangentially related, but I picked up the Knifeworld album this week and was really impressed by it. Great work Kavus and friends, really looking forward to The Unraveling.
    Yeah, I've been giving Buried Alive some attention lately as well, in anticipation of their next lovely silver platter of joy

Of all the albums so far, On Land is probably overall my favorite. Buds and Spawns is one of my favorite songs of theirs...it almost feels like a glimpse at the sort of 80's psychedelic music that Syd Barrett might've made, had he not exited the business. But Duck & Horse, Fast Robert, Mares Nest, Guarded Line...lots of high points.

chalkpie

This tune is worth re-posting. Amazing.

So good! Goosebumps!

That said, there is a lot of "space" on some of the older and some of the slower and more instrumental tracks.

I spun disc 2 of "Sing To God" yesterday.Wow..Dirty Boy is a fuckin' great way to start a side.Out-bloody-standing track!.Nurses Whispering Verses kicked my ass as well.

I'm well and truly hooked.Ordered "On Land".......

I suppose after i've immersed myself in the studio albums i'll be curious to hear how Cardiacs sounded live........
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Walt, you need to hear the original version of Nurses from their first album, cassette only, that will kick your arse even more. I prefer it to the StG version, and I must say when I first heard the version on StG I loved it but at the same time I was kind of disappointed and upset that they'd departed so much from the big band dynamic and punky feel of the original with the clear lyrics because it was the first ever Cardiacs song I heard back in the late 80s & is still my fav Cardiacs track.
    Plus of course the StG version is about 4 minutes longer. Also, the compression on the StG version is horrible in that the music is far too loud now in comparison to the lyrics that you can hardly hear, and the instrumentation sounds mushy compared to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    That said, there is a lot of "space" on some of the older and some of the slower and more instrumental tracks.
    While I have generally enjoyed everything from them so far, I think this is part of why I give the earlier stuff (well, up through 'On Land' anyway) a bit more attention. There is just a bit more space in the music to my ears, a bit more breathing room that makes the other stuff punch through even more, if that makes sense.

Finished up Heaven Born last night, brought it along for the ride today as well. I do like it, and I do hear phrases and motifs that point both back to On Land as well as forward to Sing to God. In fact, it kind of makes me want to go and start listening to Sing To God again, for whatever reason.

And yep Walt....Dirty Boy is a pretty damned epic kickoff on disc 2

Should we start a new thread to discuss their always 'notable' cover art? Or do you think that this thread is big enough to handle all the nuances?

It's a very hard choice between musician's heads and dogs' heads....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"the masses have spoken, and this has appropriately vanished into the great Prog boner pile in the sky."

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    As with album sleeves, so with life....

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"the masses have spoken, and this has appropriately vanished into the great Prog boner pile in the sky."

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Should we start a new thread to discuss their always 'notable' cover art? Or do you think that this thread is big enough to handle all the nuances?

Dog heads? How about zuul dog heads?

http://sickoftheradio.com/wp-content...04/umberto.jpg

(still my favorite album cover, ever, of all time, period, contest ended, good night...)

I like the Cardiacs art, mostly for the darker tone and lovely weirdness. Have to admit, I haven't dug too deeply into the details though (other than the spitefully-crafted liner notes).

I love Cardiacs' cover art. A Little Man is iconic, On Land is just kind of eerie in a good way (what, with Tim's loony grin and Sarah's clown-ish makeup on the back!) and Sing to God's buggy eyes are just plain awesome. A simple computer graphic that might've looked cheesy by anyone else, but seems to have held up quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    While I have generally enjoyed everything from them so far, I think this is part of why I give the earlier stuff (well, up through 'On Land' anyway) a bit more attention. There is just a bit more space in the music to my ears, a bit more breathing room that makes the other stuff punch through even more, if that makes sense.
    Makes perfect sense to me as a fan of over 25 years!!! 25 years? Can it really be that long since Cardiacs turned my musical world upside down and said "Oi, geezer, this is what music can and should sound like"
    Another reason the older stuff is airier, punchier, and more atmospheric is that it was all "live" instruments when they were in their various 5,6,7 person line-up. Also it was all originally recorded on cassette and vinyl before the days of the CD compression wars.

Ah, now, but the earlier stuff featured lots of flowers as well. I have all the 7" & 12" singles as well you see

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I spun disc 2 of "Sing To God" yesterday.Wow..Dirty Boy is a fuckin' great way to start a side.Out-bloody-standing track!.Nurses Whispering Verses kicked my ass as well.

I'm well and truly hooked.Ordered "On Land".......

I suppose after i've immersed myself in the studio albums i'll be curious to hear how Cardiacs sounded live........
    This might sound like biggest bullshit hyperbole of the century but Dirty Boy might be one of the greatest pop tunes of the last 30 years. At least for me. What it pulls off is starting out of the gate, its already ramped up to about a 7 or 8 , and by the end its screaming at a full "11". The harmonic structure is also brilliant if you truly analyze what's happening. He modulates all over the place, but it also develops like a great movement does - this is a really well-thought piece that is way more difficult than its beat implies. Truly incredible piece of music to my ears.