Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Misheard prog lyrics

I heard "the most endangered species, the honest man" from Rush's "Natural Science" as

"a host of ancient species, beyond this plan"
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Here's a new twist on the topic.

When Chicago's "Lowdown" came out in 1971, I had no problem understanding the lyrics, including the line:

Cold wind blew away the sun that used to warm the air.

But listening to it now, I cannot help but hear the line as:

Covid blew away the sun that used to warm the air.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Rush - Free Will

original:
    Each of us...
    misheard:
    Eat your puffs...
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    And then there's Peter Gabriel's "Games without Frontiers" where the backup singers are singing the French translation of the title, "jeux sans frontičres," but it sounds more like "she's so funky, yeah."
    I heard that one too.

Gabriel's ... peculiar ... voice combined with his unique lyrics in those days lent itself to a lot of mishearing. From just the first album:

"Oh, Mother, it's eating out my hole"

"To keep inside, inside, inside/my friends would think I was a nut"

"Wendy, Lucy, spinnerette" (yes, I really heard that)

"Fallen eagle/little eagle show"

"We carried ten actors from the Tower of Babel"

...and I couldn't make anything out of most of the lyrics of "Down the Dolce Vita."
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Apparently the author of this treatise (Warren Barrett) had his ears disconnected from his brain...

https://oldtimemusic.com/the-meaning...-king-crimson/

He starts off quoting the opening lyrics just fine...
    The song opens with the haunting lines, “If I only could deceive you / Forgetting the game.”

But then he says...
    Throughout the song, the lyrics continue to evoke a sense of longing and reflection. Lines like “Mornings of misty, snowy treacle” and “Broad vistas of open minds” transport the listener to a dreamlike state where memories come alive."

and...
    The poignant line, “Days spent avoiding the cracks in the pavement”.

WTF! Where did those lyrics come from? Not our beloved King Crimson song.

[QUOTE=wiz_d_kidd;1232429]Apparently the author of this treatise (Warren Barrett) had his ears disconnected from his brain...

https://oldtimemusic.com/the-meaning...-king-crimson/

Warren Barrett? I think not. The whole article reeks of ChatGPT. I'd bet that the self-describing "ink-stained wretch" merely fed the query into it and published the results as is.

This one may not be lyrics, but it's "misheard" and "prog" so I hope it qualifies...

(Reminded of this by US President Biden's recent misspeaking of the name Laken Riley as "Lincoln Riley.")

When I first heard people talking about Emerson Lake & Palmer around 1970-1971, I thought they were saying "Emerson Lincoln Palmer" and it sounded to me like an auto dealership.

The Q and A section definitely looks like artificial “intelligence “ . How did that article get past any editorial scrutiny ?

In the track "the system" by Aphrodite's Child I always heard it as "we follow the system...." Now I just read that it's "we got the system to fuck the system." That will teach me to pay more attention to lyrics.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    In the track "the system" by Aphrodite's Child I always heard it as "we follow the system...." Now I just read that it's "we got the system to fuck the system." That will teach me to pay more attention to lyrics.
    Yes, sometimes one's misunderstanding of the lyrics leads to believing the singer is stating the opposite of what they really mean.

A case in point for me is Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi." The verse:

Hey farmer farmer, put away the DDT now,
    Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees.

I originally heard as something like this:

They told the farmer, put away the DDT now,
    Gave me spots on my apples and left them to the birds and the bees.

So I thought she was making a bold stand in favor of pesticides, contrary to the "party line" of her generation and politics. It also lent additional heft to the refrain "you don't know what you've got till it's gone."

I was somewhat disappointed to find out the truth.

On the other hand, Grace Slick actually did come out in favor of pesticides in "Eat Starch Mom" (on Long John Silver) when she sang:

I don't care if there's chemicals in it as long as my lettuce is crisp.
    Preservatives might be preserving you; I think that's something you missed.

Oh well.

^^^ I'm pretty sure Gracie was being sarcastic there...

As Spider Robinson's cluracaun character says, "Saints dip us in preservatives."
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

And then there's Peter Gabriel's "Games without Frontiers" where the backup singers are singing the French translation of the title, "jeux sans frontičres," but it sounds more like "she's so funky, yeah."
    I remember an ever-so-hip DJ coming in at the end of that in 1980 and saying "Oo, yes she is, isn't she?".
    I was 15 and had the lyric sheet, so l wondered what he thought "she" was "so". (That is Kate Bush, btw).

Not sure i it's misheard, or I suppose more misspelled. Streetmark - Sea of melted lead, I hear Sea of melted led, which would be perhaps better.

Speaking of more French butchery, l remember when Billy Idol's Eyes Without A Face came out everyone thought the girl singing the title in French ("Les yeux sans visage") was actually singing "As you slowly die".

And, makes ya wonder if he got the idea to do that from Gabriel.

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    I remember an ever-so-hip DJ coming in at the end of that in 1980 and saying "Oo, yes she is, isn't she?".
    I was 15 and had the lyric sheet, so l wondered what he thought "she" was "so".
    Apparently "she" was "so" different things to different people. Some heard "she's so popular." Some, like me, heard "funky." I suspect that those of us who were of a certain age during the 1970s were familiar with the latter verbiage; those who weren't around then probably would not hear it that way because the word was not in their consciousness.

(That is Kate Bush, btw).
    I sit corrected, for referring to the exquisite Ms. Bush as "backup singers." (I suppose one could say that she's so wonderful (yeah) that she sounds like multiple singers at once.) Of course I especially recall Kate's contribution to "Don't Give Up," a truly moving experience.

I sit corrected, for referring to the exquisite Ms. Bush as "backup singers." (I suppose one could say that she's so wonderful (yeah) that she sounds like multiple singers at once.) Of course I especially recall Kate's contribution to "Don't Give Up," a truly moving experience.
    Let's hope that isn't her on the Billy ldol song!

MMEB - Blinded by the Light
    Quote Originally Posted by misheard
    Ripped up like a douche
    Quote Originally Posted by original
    Revved up like a deuce
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Brian Eno's "King's Lead Hat" contains the line "The kilocycles, the kilohertz." I always heard it as "The killer cycles, the killer hurts." Since the song is intended to be a tribute to Talking Heads, I guess I could excuse it as a presumed reference to "Psycho Killer..."

P.S. Apparently a lot of other folks hear it at least partly that way, judging from the lyric listings turned up by Google.

Brian Eno's "King's Lead Hat" contains the line "The kilocycles, the kilohertz." I always heard it as "The killer cycles, the killer hurts." Since the song is intended to be a tribute to Talking Heads, I guess I could excuse it as a presumed reference to "Psycho Killer...".
    wait...it's not "The killer cycles, the killer hurts."? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    wait...it's not "The killer cycles, the killer hurts."? Seriously?
    At some point in my life I read someone make a reference (written) to the kilocycles/kilohertz lyric. That seemed authoritative enough to me at the time and I blamed myself for how I heard it.

I just heard Back In The USSR for the two millionth time, and all my life l have heard "All the way the paperback was on my knee" but this time l heard "paper bag was on my knee".
    Is he really singing "paper bag"??

That must be right, because that makes "Man l had a dreadful flight" make sense. He was airsick the whole time!
    Man l hope l'm not the only one who has heard that wrong for the last 50-odd years. Just thought he had a book with him.

I just heard Back In The USSR for the two millionth time, and all my life l have heard "All the way the paperback was on my knee" but this time l heard "paper bag was on my knee".
    Is he really singing "paper bag"??
    Yes - it's an airline sickness bag, in case turbulence induces the need to upchuck.

And speaking of Beatles and paperbacks, I always used to hear the line in Paperback Writer "And his clinging wife doesn't understand" as "And his screaming wife doesn't understand." What a difference headphones make.

I am glad l can still find surprises in Beatle songs, even at my own expense!