Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who are the most popular prog bands among female fans?

My wife loves Steve Hackett but not King Crimson....

One thing I've learned from this thread is that women are often really picky about the prog they listen to when they do listen to it(even more so than most men). One will like Yes but not Floyd or Rush or KC and another will like early Genesis but not Yes or ELP etc.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    One thing I've learned from this thread is that women are often really picky about the prog they listen to when they do listen to it(even more so than most men). One will like Yes but not Floyd or Rush or KC and another will like early Genesis but not Yes or ELP etc.
    I don't see the difference you outline - men can be pretty picky too - I love Genesis and don't like Van Der Graaf Generator (the later, mostly for the vocals). There are lots of other examples. For me, this thread shows women (mostly) like the softer side of progressive rock (neo/symphonic).

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    You've got a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I don't see the difference you outline - men can be pretty picky too - I love Genesis and don't like Van Der Graaf Generator (the later, mostly for the vocals). There are lots of other examples. For me, this thread shows women (mostly) like the softer side of progressive rock (neo/symphonic).
    I like Genesis with Gabriel but prefer Van Der Graaf Generator.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Have an ex that likes Flower Kings, Porcupine Tree and Cirrus Bay. I think she actually owns a couple PT and Cirrus Bay cds.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Divorce her!

One girl might smoke a joint , put on Jethro Tull A , and enjoy it because the music makes her feel like she's posted in a radio tower in Alaska. Every girl is an individual . All of this popularity in the enjoyment of the band Yes varies. Yes have a more appealing face value substance that leaves an impression on people. Not unlike Led Zeppelin. Stage craft had a lot to do with it. So instead of a guitarist standing on stage with their head down playing serious Prog, we had Steve Howe who was a full blown hyperactive ball of energy . Additionally they were completely natural.

So profound but sitting with a girl in front of the fireplace on a snowy night listening to Jethro Tull The Chateau D' Herouville Sessions is the most exciting event in my life. Just to be quiet and listen to her viewpoints is a rare pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I like Genesis with Gabriel but prefer Van Der Graaf Generator.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    A tie for me) I adore both bands - Genesis with Gabriel and VgGG

Quote Originally Posted by perpetual strange View Post
    Have an ex that likes Flower Kings, Porcupine Tree and Cirrus Bay. I think she actually owns a couple PT and Cirrus Bay cds.
    So why is she your ex then?

Things my wife likes:

Yes
    Neal Morse
    The Flower Kings
    Jethro Tull

Things my wife dislikes:

King Crimson
    Gentle Giant
    Pink Floyd
    Rush

What does it all mean???
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Things my wife likes:

Yes
    Neal Morse
    The Flower Kings
    Jethro Tull

Things my wife dislikes:

King Crimson
    Gentle Giant
    Pink Floyd
    Rush

What does it all mean???
    It means most women prefer "Prog Lite" to more complex prog.

Because women are so simple, whereas men are very complex.

The most prejudicial and consequently simplistic thread I've read here yet. Women "are" this and "aren't" that and absolutely all of them somehow tend to like Porcupine Tree. Every exception is deviant.

Yeah, right.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Things my wife likes:

Yes
    Neal Morse
    The Flower Kings
    Jethro Tull

Things my wife dislikes:

King Crimson
    Gentle Giant
    Pink Floyd
    Rush

What does it all mean???
    Of those, I think I don't care for Neal Morse and exept In the court of the Crimson King, I'm not sure I like more King Crimson. From those I rate Gentle Giant as my favorite and Rush is the group I hve most albums from.

So that means I'm not your wife

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Because women are so simple, whereas men are very complex.
    - That didn't come out right. It's probably a mistake to characterize men's and women's listening habits - it has to be looked at individually.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 01-12-2017 at 02:51 PM.

In my experience women are far more complex but men make their hobbies more complex.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

- That didn't come out right. It's probably a mistake to characterize men's and women's listening habits - it has to be looked at individually.
    That wasn't a shot at you. Just pointing out the obvious incongruity of the dynamic.

A statement like "Women prefer this, men prefer that" should be interpreted as "the percentage of women who prefer this is higher than the percentage of men, the percentage of men who prefer that is higher than the percentage of women".

With this in mind my personal thoughts are that men tend to approach music intellectually and women emotionally.

I myself can't understand how anyone can not like the singing of Peter Hammill. Hardly any singer is as emotional as he, and that goes for the bad emotions as well as the good ones. And Hammilll often sings about bad emotions. Singing about bad emotions with a voice that sounds beautiful seems phony to me.

So I guess what many people actually mean when they say they don't like Hammill's singing is that they either don't like what he sings about or that they prefer phony vocals.

Pink Floyd is more complex than Yes and the Flower Kings? That's news to me.

Chicks dig Art Zoyd. Listen to the screaming girls at the beginning here:

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

I will NEVER be able to listen to Roundabout again for the rest of my life (some of those dance moves were particularly ugly too)

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Simple: Their BOYFRIENDS played Brain Salad Surgery for them..
    That would more like they played Brain Salad Surgery on their boyfriends, wouldn't it??

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Pink Floyd is more complex than Yes and the Flower Kings? That's news to me.
    MY GF likes all/most of Supertramp and Floyd...

But for the rest, it's more like hit & miss, like she loves Epitath but hates Schizoid

But in general, she WTFs on most of what I play, but sometimes something hits her interest
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

What's this Girlfriend thing you speak of?........
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga