Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233

Thread: Ok, what's so great about... Steely Dan?

Fagan's Morph the Cat has some really catchy tunes.
    Likewise Everything Must Go has some good Dan tunes.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So far I've been paying $8 - $10 per disk with shipping. I should probably try to hit a few used record stores if I can manage to find any. There's ONE near me, but it's mostly vinyl.
    I got ya all set, Jed, if you don't mind used copies, which it looks like you don't.

Go to Half Price Books: https://www.hpb.com/

At the top, in between the logo and the search window is "your store". It's possible it may not show anything for you since there aren't any stores east of Pittsburgh. Regardless, click that little red down arrow and at the bottom of the popup window is the button "change store". Click that and enter the zip code 15237. The first store listed should be Ross Township in Pittsburgh. Underneath the address and phone # is a button that says "select store". Click that to make it your default. The popup window should disappear and at the top, "your store" should be listed as "HPB Ross Township".

The Ross Township store has Can't Buy a Thrill ($5.99 – https://www.hpb.com/cant-buy-a-thril...3583-USED.html), the remastered Pretzel Logic ($6.99 – https://www.hpb.com/pretzel-logic-re...3212-USED.html), the remastered Katy Lied ($6.99 – https://www.hpb.com/katy-lied-remast...3211-USED.html), and the remastered Gaucho ($6.99 – https://www.hpb.com/gaucho/M-1882443-T.html).

Those links are for the titles only. However, it appears their site checks the title against your default store to show you if it's available or not. Some stores didn't (yes, I checked a bunch of other stores for you, as well) and unless I've lost my mind (which is always a very real possibility), it looks to me like the Ross Township store has all four.

It appears shipping is $3.99 per CD. I assume they add tax, too, but I don't know what that is.

If you want to make sure they have the liner notes, you may want to call them to double check, but I'm pretty sure they will. Half Price Books is good about that sort of thing. When I lived in Columbus, which has five stores, I hit them up for
    all the Asimov Foundation novels I didn't have and the Clarke Space Odyssey novels. They even sell some new books, too, and I got a nice, leather bound anthology of the Hitchhiker's Guide (first thru fourth in the series plus the short story Young Zaphod Plays it Safe).

Happy listening, Jed.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    A question to those in the know: do you think SD will tour the East Coast again? I'd really like to see them (such as the band is now) at least once.
    They were just there last fall, I think, until Fagen had health problems and they had to cancel some shows. Not sure how likely it is they will play there again.

Yeah, imo - all of the Dan albums (every single one to the last) was brilliant. absolutely brilliant, especially enjoyable the more you listen to them. The writing, the performances, the *arrangements* good lord and, of course, the always sterling production. I personally love them all and listen to them each a lot. My faves are really Countdown and Pretzel (that era) of the later era, the live one and Two Against Nature. But seriously, they are all excellent.

Of the solo ones, i like both of Becker's. The last being the strongest and deepest and, excuse me, dopest. Of Donald's, Nightfly (duh) and Morph get played the most. The others have great things on but flow less well to my ear. Morph has the best album sequencing and sound. Nightfly is such a classic. Teahouse on The Tracks though. Badass tune and Snowbound also. Sunken Condos is a quiet grower. I do like it a lot too. Also deep in the same way as Beckers - Miss Marlene gets me every time. Becker's Paging Audrey, just wow. Great artists both. Regardless of whatever subjective assessments, i will say objectively on craft alone, they are clear masters.

They inspire me so heavily to this day. Wonderful to have their music with us still
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Fagan's Morph the Cat has some really catchy tunes.
    That's my favorite DF album.

Likewise Everything Must Go has some good Dan tunes.
    There are only three songs on that album I like. I thought the album title was their most apropos. In other words, they recorded a bunch of songs they'd never released before.

The songs I like, fwiw, are Green Book and Godwhacker. The best song, tho, is Lunch With Gina, which I think is one of their best since Aja. It's got a great tight groove, a nice bass line, and some nice synth work from Don. It's a pretty funky song. I love the lyrics, too.

A couple of my all time favorite bits of SD lyrics come from Green Book and Lunch With Gina, both of which I find really amusing.

Green Book:

I tango down to the smoky lobby
    My eyes adjust to the light
    The new cashier looks like Jill St. John
    Can that be right?

Lunch With Gina:

I'm in a cozy booth
    Maybe my watch is fast
    Another Tanqueray
    I'll wait 'til twenty past
    I'm about to go postal when she waltzes in
    I guess she's a knockout -- hey where have I been?

The waiter never comes
    God knows the service could be better

Lunch with Gina is forever

--------------------

I forgot about EMG, Jed. That Ross Township store has it, too, for $5.99: https://www.hpb.com/everything-must-go/M-4807128-T.html
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    They inspire me so heavily to this day. Wonderful to have their music with us still
    I know a guy who's a professional guitarist, who's recorded numerous albums with his first band, in addition to solo albums – and who's reasonably well known on this site, in fact – who told me numerous friends of his tried to turn him on to Steely Dan but he never bought into their hype. I can't remember exactly what else he told me but he has absolutely no love for them at all.

If I take a step back, I kind of get it. But at the same time, the vast majority of their music is infectious, sometimes fun, often very cool, and always literate. I guess, in the end, I don't get it. But then, he also slagged Larry Carton in the same conversation. He also said Rick Derringer's an asshole.

I don't know. Maybe he's bitter Don and Walt never called him up to play on one of their records. lol I'm being facetious, btw.

Been a while since going through my SD albums. I still really love those first 2 albums more than everything that came after, although I dig everything
    up to Aja.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Been a while since going through my SD albums. I still really love those first 2 albums more than everything that came after, although I dig everything
    up to Aja.
    Pretzel Logic has climbed the ladder for me over the years. Top 3 for me. I do love the first two, especially Can't Buy A Thrill.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Pretzel Logic has climbed the ladder for me over the years. Top 3 for me. I do love the first two, especially Can't Buy A Thrill.
    I think Countdown to Ecstacy is my favorite. Pretzel Logic is pretty awesome too. Katy Lied is pretty good too.

Steely Dan is pog! The post-Pretzel Logic material especially. I recently listened to a bunch of their songs and I've noticed these guys had an incredible aptitude for writing catchy yet sophisticated chord progressions. And what made those chord progressions really shine IMHO was the band's unique approach to voice leading by their extremely precise, "strategic" arrangement of backing vocalis.

Now, for the chord choice itself, a lot of people are talking about the so called "mu" chords, which I think are crazy cool.... but, what's less frequently mentioned and imo equally as important to that sound is how Steely Dan would use diminished triads (in many different forms) to add tension to their chord changes.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Recently unleashed by Steve Khan.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!