Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Donald Fagen/Steely Dan: I think it counts as prog

By the way, I don't know if anyone else gets this vibe, but "Do It Again" seems like a nod to reincarnation from a Buddhist worldview. You make mistakes, so you have to "go back, Jack, and do it again." The "wheel turning round and round" would be the wheel of samsara. And surely, "Jack" has to be Kerouac. Fagen and Becker were totally into the Beat generation, after all. Anyway, just a fun thought.

Is this another 'I like it so it must be prog' thread?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    I know! Some people likes them some dogma.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Not really. On the old site Steely Dan was one of those handful of bands (like The Who, Sabbath, or Zeppelin) that was always given main page status rather than OT. I was just joking when I came up with that subject line.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I am in the incredibly fortunate position of running (and playing drums in) a 10 piece Steely Dan Tribute Band in Los Angeles.
    Growing up in the 70's i started to get heavily into prog and fusion. Then i heard Countdown to Ecstasy and i was hooked!
    Good music is good music, and should remain timeless.
    My fav SD album is Royal Scam, hands down. Followed by Aja, then Countdown.

Playing these tunes in a great band is such a joy, and believe me it is NOT for the money. Gigs are scarce, and when we play the pay is shit. Unfortunately when a Parks and Rec or Concerts by the Sea gig comes along and we are up against a Journey Tribute band...well guess who gets the gig?
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Don't Stop Belevin'!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Don't Stop Breathin'!
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Prog or not I like it.

Yeah, this is a "prog" site, but I don't worry about labels now a days. Steely Dan works for me.

so if its prog what kind is it?

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    so if its prog what kind is it?
    Very good prog.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

i think it counts as being pretty damn good.

Fave albums from the classic era from favorite to less favorite but still pretty damm good...:

Countdown to Ecstacy
    The Royal Scam
    Aja
    Can't Buy A Thrill
    Pretzel Logic
    Gaucho
    Katy Lied

Top 20 songs (in no particular order):

Black Cow
    Aja
    Home At Last
    Doctor Wu
    Rikki Don't Lose That Number
    Any Major Dude
    Night By Night
    Do It Again
    Your Gold Teeth
    Kings
    King of the World
    The Boston Rag
    The Royal Scam
    Kid Charlemagne
    The Caves of Altamira
    Don't Take Me Alive
    Any World (That I'm Welcome To)
    Bad Sneakers
    Third World Man
    Glamour Profession

Simply said, simply one of the greatest songwriting duos of my generation and brilliant regardless of genre.

Peace,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by ajcmixer View Post
    Fave albums from the classic era from favorite to less favorite...:
    Countdown to Ecstacy
    The Royal Scam
    Aja
    Copycat.
    “The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone."

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Copycat.
    Love you, too, my fellow Steely fan... !

Peace,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    I bought Aja other day, after all these accolades, and IMHO it does not sound like progressive music...it is clever music, could be enjoyable, but it just does not have the ingredients of progressive music as I recognize it...it is more orientated towards AOR, funk, adult rock more than anything...

Love you, too, my fellow Steely fan...

Hi Alex!
    “The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone."

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    I bought Aja other day, after all these accolades, and IMHO it does not sound like progressive music...it is clever music, could be enjoyable, but it just does not have the ingredients of progressive music as I recognize it...it is more orientated towards AOR, funk, adult rock more than anything...
    Yep. Great mix of pop, jazz, rock, blues, R&B, and funk -- but that doesn't make it prog. And that's perfectly OK! It's just great music to my ears, and my ears (and synapses) don't seem to care what label is applied to the music.

Progmatic, don't go looking at is as straight prog. But Aja is very complex in its own way - there was nothing else on the planet like this at the time and no one else has managed that seamless of a vortex of jazz, R&B, and rock since. Listen to the title track, that whole bridge/solo thing in the middle is just nuts. Hell, Steve Gadd gives clinics on just that drum part. Even the shortest songs are deceptive in their complexity. Just pour yourself a good whisky, shut off the lights and listen to the first three songs.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Simply said, simply one of the greatest songwriting duos of my generation and brilliant regardless of genre.
    Not to derail the thread, but this raises a question I've had. How did Fagen and Becker handle the songwriting duties? Keep in mind I've only gotten into the Dan in the past year, so I realize this may be common knowledge to longtime fans -- but I've read quite a few interviews and haven't seen an answer from the guys thus far. Does one handle the music and one the lyrics? Do they both bring music and lyrics to the table? My hunch is that Fagen is more of the music guy and Becker more the lyricist -- and that's based solely on what I've heard of their solo output. Fagen's records sound more like Steely Dan albums, but what little I've heard of Becker's solo material seems to have more of the acerbic lyrical bite of a typical Dan song.

Anyway, just curious.

I'll play,
    Favourite songs:

Kid Charlamagne
    Guacho
    Bablylon Sisters
    Home At Last
    The Boston Rag
    Doctor Wu
    My Old School
    Hey Nineteen

...you know, those and all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    Aja gets a lot of praise on these Dan threads. I personally find it overrated. It's last on my list of Steely Dan album rankings. Yes I like the album, but it's dead last on my list. If you're still interested in Steely Dan and want to try another album try either of the first two albums (Can't Buy A Thrill, or Countdown To Ecstacy). As far as them being "prog." Here we go again. What is prog? To me they're not prog, period, end of story. Not prog.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    How did Fagen and Becker handle the songwriting duties? Keep in mind I've only gotten into the Dan in the past year, so I realize this may be common knowledge to longtime fans -- but I've read quite a few interviews and haven't seen an answer from the guys thus far.
    The straightest answer I ever got was that "Fagan did the writing and Becker did the drugs."

The other saying was, "Becker couldn't start a song and Fagan couldn't finish one." When asked whether this old adage was still true when Two Against Nature came out, Fagan replied, "No. Now I can't start a song and Becker can't finish one."

My suspicion is that Steely Dan is 80% Fagan and 20% Becker in both music and lyrics. I suspect there was some truth the the "Fagan can't finish a song" story. It wouldn't surprise me if he were an obsessive perfectionist. Becker's main role may have been to just get Fagan to agree that enough was eventually enough so that something would be released. This is all largely speculation on my part, though I did know a guy who worked in a studio where Steely Dan did some recordings, and this was his take on what he saw. Who knows if that was accurate, but it sort of makes sense to me.

Bill

Too much 4/4 backbeat/rhythm reliance for me to consider Steely Dan prog.

Steely Dan is a band that many non-musicians love dearly ("yuppies", for example).
    (Classic) Prog is a genre that appealed generally more to the musicians back in the 70's (though many non-musicians appreciate it too obviously)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Even the shortest songs are deceptive in their complexity.
    "I Got the News" being a great example of that. SD may not have enough of the trademarks to be considered "prog," but their song forms and chord progressions don't have much in common with what's generally considered as "pop" either. They're their own genre, I tell ya!