Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Cruise to the Edge 2018 (Feb 3-8)

I saw both of Steve Hackett's shows on CTTE this year (the first from my allocated seat and the second from the gate-crashers zone at the rear of the balcony) and I did enjoy hearing WTHRTM for the 1st (and 2nd) times.
    However, I'm a little surprised that this song seems to be the only GTR piece being played considering the pre-tour promotion of the tour (I'm not aware of anything else being played in the post-CTTE shows either) and surely a missed opportunity for Steve Howe to guest on at least the later of the two CTTE shows.
    Opportunities for guest spots are a considerable plus for CTTE which few other festivals can match. There were quite a few this year and many were amongst my highlights of the cruise. I missed SH's appearance with Squids though - I was still in the theatre watching Neal Morse! - saw the second half of the show though!
    If there was a downside to CTTE this year it was unfortunate clashes in the timings of the shows I wanted to see - I think the Blue group had the brunt of this in 2018!
    The weather was ideal and no pool shows had to be postponed at all and yet there was still delays in getting some shows underway - most notably the "sail-away" show for Glass Hammer (programmed for 5pm) which only gave the Blue group one song to listen to before SH's show in the theatre started at 6pm!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Somehow on the two CTTEs I went on I didn’t have a show in the main theater on the first night, which allowed for things to be a BIT more spontaneous. In 2015 my first show was Moon Safari during sail away in the Spinnaker lounge (great!) then went on deck and caught some of Neal Morse, last year I was at the sail away for Portnoy’s thing, forget where I went after that. Possibly Focus which was excellent.

A couple of choice things on YouTube:

Q&A with Thank You, Scientist:

Five-Hour CTTE 2018 Video compilation. I'm going to have to get pretty wasted and watch this:

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Five-Hour CTTE 2018 Video compilation. I'm going to have to get pretty wasted and watch this:
    So someone is on a cruise in tropical waters, with all this great music to listen to, and they walk around with a phone or a camera in front of their face that much? Wow. Or is this some kind of official compilation shot by someone paid to do so by CTTE?

Fish just announced to be on CTTE 2018! Can’t help thinking though that something will cause him to cancel. Hopefully though he’ll fit some US shows in around it.

Fish just announced to be on CTTE 2018! Can’t help thinking though that something will cause him to cancel. Hopefully though he’ll fit some US shows in around it.
    Sad, but true. Has any artist in any genre had worse luck than Fish?!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelight View Post
    Well, yeah, some. But complications do seem to plague him.

Some might say that Fish makes a lot of his own luck.

Presumably the artist with worse luck isn't known to us because they sank without a trace.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Fish has actually hinted on this Facebook page that the possibility U.S. shows are at least being looked into. This is more encouraging than anything he has posted in several years. I would love the chance to see him one last time.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Fish has actually hinted on this Facebook page that the possibility U.S. shows are at least being looked into. This is more encouraging than anything he has posted in several years. I would love the chance to see him one last time.
    Yeah, I’m intrigued. It’s funny that I’ve only heard ABOUT Fish’s posting, not read the actual thing. Need to sit down with a cup of coffee and catch up on his plans...

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Presumably the artist with worse luck isn't known to us because they sank without a trace.
    Oh, but that's OK as long as they don't drift out of the genre. It's essential that they stay inside the genre, even if they sink. At least if they're gone we'll still have the genre.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Oh, but that's OK as long as they don't drift out of the genre. It's essential that they stay inside the genre, even if they sink. At least if they're gone we'll still have the genre.
    And the sub-genres!

Actually, RE: Fish, a lot of his stuff doesn't really fit easily in a genre, not that his music is challenging or anything. His influences are pretty varied (Peter Hammill, Joni Mitchell, Alex Harvey Band. and a lot of others). I sometimes think of him as a "cabaret" act, actually. Here's one I love, that doesn't seem to get much love from others:

Here's one I love, that doesn't seem to get much love from others:... now that surprised me

Quote Originally Posted by soblivious View Post
    Here's one I love, that doesn't seem to get much love from others:... now that surprised me
    You mean it surprised you that I love this song? Or the song itself surprised you?

I hope so too. I resigned myself to never seeing him grace a stage again based on his comments. I wouldn't go on a cruise even if in some crazy alternate universe Rush decided they were going to do one so even Fish being there won't change a thing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I see what you did there.

Yeah, I’m intrigued. It’s funny that I’ve only heard ABOUT Fish’s posting, not read the actual thing. Need to sit down with a cup of coffee and catch up on his plans...
    I'm more than intrigued. This is a tease of the highest magnitude.

Here's what he said in his post about the CTTE appearance and a US tour:

"This has been unders discussion for quite a few weeks and really glad it's all come together. My first ever cruise and in such illustrious company. Really looking forward to it as are all the band.

Obviously as we will be over that side of the water I am making enquiries with my agent as to the potential of staying over there after the ship docks to follow on with a North American tour. As always it all depends on offers and costs and the negotiation of the complex maze of bureaucracy involved but this is the best chance since 2008 of setting up a tour in the United States and Canada.If we can make this happen I will need as much support as I can possibly get with this as it wil be a huge endeavour. Lets keep our fingers crossed."

You mean it surprised you that I love this song? Or the song itself surprised you?
    the song didn't surprise me ...I co-wrote it

Quote Originally Posted by soblivious View Post
    the song didn't surprise me ...I co-wrote it
    Ok, I think we’ve been through this one before. My memory isn’t very good! Anyway, yeah, I love that song. It’s underappreciated.

Here's what he said in his post about the CTTE appearance and a US tour:

"This has been unders discussion for quite a few weeks and really glad it's all come together. My first ever cruise and in such illustrious company. Really looking forward to it as are all the band.

Obviously as we will be over that side of the water I am making enquiries with my agent as to the potential of staying over there after the ship docks to follow on with a North American tour. As always it all depends on offers and costs and the negotiation of the complex maze of bureaucracy involved but this is the best chance since 2008 of setting up a tour in the United States and Canada.If we can make this happen I will need as much support as I can possibly get with this as it wil be a huge endeavour. Lets keep our fingers crossed."
    I'm a bit confused....CTTE 2018 has already HAPPENED.......are your referring to the NEXT one in 2019? if so, you are in the wrong thread...
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

The 2018/2019 mix up started about a week ago so much of what is written immediately above is out of place.
    I've bumped up the 2019 thread and up-dated line-up with Fish and the others announced to date.