Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Update on the Official Keith Emerson Tribute Concert DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    It was recorded in doubly.
    Did you mean to say Dolby? The recording was each channel on the mixing board and then mixed by Keith Wechsler. During the show the live mixing was by Keith Wechsler and Dirk Schubert.

Yesterday I watched the second DVD with the extras. Interviews with musicians, missing Rachel Flowers and Eddie Jobson and perhaps some others. Speeches, not much can be said about that. Picture galleries, I would have liked some music to go with those.

Marc Bonilla was on my show this weekend and we discussed the concert and the new CD/DVD towards the end of the show...

The eons are closing
    It was recorded in doubly.
    https://youtu.be/7sz5OrACPn8

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The DVD is fantastic. If you’re an Emerson fan do not miss it. What a great group of musicians across the board.

Well done all!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The DVD package was created with such care. I watched half of the main CD (haven't checked out the 2nd disc with the extras) and it was full of energy. Really happy with this purchase. Rachel Flowers opening piano performance was spellbinding. I'll do repeated plays for this one.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Having been one of those lucky fans in the audience that night, I can say this is a wonderful package and was worth the 5 year wait.

Some have asked if Toccata was played (by Alberto Ginastera) but no. But my regret on missing songs from the setlist was PIRATES that was not played either, a monumental Keith Emerson, Greg Lake and Pete Sinfield composition.
    IMHO Pirates was the ultimate highlight of the Works Tour 1977 that I was also fortunate to see at MSG NYC with the full orchestra. ELP performed it as a trio without an orchestra for later tours in early 1978.

But most importantly, this event in 2016 was an emotional and touching tribute to the best keyboardist of the Progressive Rock Era.
    Last edited by Rajaz; 04-21-2021 at 11:11 AM. Reason: add text content
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    But my regret on missing songs from the setlist was PIRATES that was not played either, a monumental Keith Emerson, Greg Lake and Pete Sinfield composition.
    I was surprised they didn't play anything from The Nice. Just a brief taste of Rondo was given. But really, America was a staple in his shows. And there is so much more... Mike Kennelly played "For Example" at Progtoberfest for his tribute to Keith. It was outstanding, and never thought I would hear it live.

But you know, they played TANK!! That was awesome.

I've watched the film and the extras twice. The concert is incredible. The musicianship is superb. You can feel the love in their playing.

I was surprised they didn't play anything from The Nice. Just a brief taste of Rondo was given. But really, America was a staple in his shows. And there is so much more... Mike Kennelly played "For Example" at Progtoberfest for his tribute to Keith. It was outstanding, and never thought I would hear it live.
    As I noted earlier, it's not just that they played no music from the Nice era (Auger even introduces the Rondo segment explicitly as a Dave Brubeck number), but that there aren't even any pictures of Emerson from his days in the Nice in the collection on the 2nd dvd (or the montage shown at the start of the concert).

I wonder if there were any rights issues that influenced this?

Well, whatever - here's a lovely pic of PP Arnold singing live with the Nice:

Auszug1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    As I noted earlier, it's not just that they played no music from the Nice era (Auger even introduces the Rondo segment explicitly as a Dave Brubeck number), but that there aren't even any pictures of Emerson from his days in the Nice in the collection on the 2nd dvd (or the montage shown at the start of the concert).
    That's a good point on the photo gallery. The concert focused heavily on ELP, with a few later-day KEB songs. One written by Bonilla. I also didn't know why they played stuff like "From The Beginning", which is a Greg Lake song. Technically "Take a Pebble" is as well, and "Great Gates of Kiev" is credited to Lake. And of course Lucky Man, but that ones understandable. It just seemed more like a tribute to ELP, rather than encompassing Emerson's career and deep cuts.

No complaints though, just curious about the set list. I think you're right, there may have been a rights issue when you think about the photo galleries.

That's a good point on the photo gallery. The concert focused heavily on ELP, with a few later-day KEB songs. One written by Bonilla. I also didn't know why they played stuff like "From The Beginning", which is a Greg Lake song. Technically "Take a Pebble" is as well, and "Great Gates of Kiev" is credited to Lake. And of course Lucky Man, but that ones understandable. It just seemed more like a tribute to ELP, rather than encompassing Emerson's career and deep cuts.

No complaints though, just curious about the set list. I think you're right, there may have been a rights issue when you think about the photo galleries.
    I agree with these thoughts about what seem to be Lake songs - but, one aspect of this which I really liked was how the different keyboardists responded to different facets of Keith's playing - eg the jazz piano sections in both From the Beginning & Take A Pebble, both of which I really liked. And I thought Jobson totally nailed the moog solo at the end of Lucky Man.

As for The Great Gates - as well as being a great crescendo to go out on musically, I liked how the lyrics referenced the life that (can) follow out of death - & the implication of a future for Keith's music beyond his own life.

But, you know, I just love the whole thing so much, & have given it so many plays over the last two or three weeks - it's really connected me back with Emerson's music.