Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    They seem to follow a similar M.O. as Motorpsycho, with changing the style for each album and being so prolific, though they do seem to be even more prolific than Motorpsycho.

If anyone can recommend further listening after "Polygondawanaland," suggestions are appreciated. When I read that that was their proggiest album, whatever I was reading also mentioned the album before it, "Sketches of Brunswick East," as being pretty proggy too. I'll try that next.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Master View Post
    I've listened to many of their albums and went to a show a month or so ago. I wanted to like them, but I think I've given up. Just not my style.
    This is how I feel too. I read about their albums and I love the idea of them, on paper. Then I listen to them and I feel nothing. They're some of the best musical conceptualists ever, full stop, but I don't feel much from their songwriting. I try them again once a year or so. If it ever clicks there'll be quite a trove to dig through.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    They seem to follow a similar M.O. as Motorpsycho, with changing the style for each album and being so prolific, though they do seem to be even more prolific than Motorpsycho.

If anyone can recommend further listening after "Polygondawanaland," suggestions are appreciated. When I read that that was their proggiest album, whatever I was reading also mentioned the album before it, "Sketches of Brunswick East," as being pretty proggy too. I'll try that next.

I lean more towards Flying Microtonal Banana and KG which is in the same style but it's fun listening to their different styles.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I have a couple of their sprawling live vinyl releases, they are an interesting listen when I’m in the mood. I lack any knowledge about their studio output, but am interested to explore further recommendations. There are just so many releases that you cannot aspire to completist goals.

I really like Paper Mâché Dream Balloon, its more mellow than their usual but nevertheless quite good.

As a live band they're mostly excellent. Studio releases speaking, they have some OK albums, few great moments but most of their output does not hold up very well. Had they stopped releasing 10 albums per year...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

They are playing in Toronto next week, tried to get tix in the seating area but it's sold out. They are not everyone's cup of tea, but they are mine...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I haven't heard very much of their output but will second the rec for "Flying Microtonal Banana". I didn't care much for "Fishing for Fishies".

[...] "Sketches of Brunswick East," as being pretty proggy too. I'll try that next.
    This is the only one I have so far, but it's really, really good IMO. They're joined with Mild High Club on that one, and the vibe is cool. Some psych, some improv/jazz, some prog... It's fun.

Thanks for the rec on Polygondawanaland. I'm checking that one out now.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

If your like me and you find "Polygondawanaland" is way better than "Sketches....East" you gotta go "I'm In Your Mind Fuzz" their first great album then "Nonagon Infinity" and "Flying Microtonal Banana". All high energy, fun albums with microtonal instruments.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Just getting into these guys.
    Suggestions of key songs appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they make Motorpsycho look like Peter Gabriel really
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    Just getting into these guys.
    Suggestions of key songs appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Float Along Fill Your Lungs
    Inner Cell
    Head On/Pill
    Crumbling Castle
    Open Water
    Sleep Drifter
    Minimum Brain Size
    So many though with all their albums, it's pretty crazy.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Their new one, Changes, is good. I picked it up on vinyl from my local indie store.

Also got Omnium Gatherum, Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava, Butterfly 3000, and Oddments over the last couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Their new one, Changes, is good. I picked it up on vinyl from my local indie store.

Also got Omnium Gatherum, Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava, Butterfly 3000, and Oddments over the last couple months.
    Any favourites from the ones you mentioned. I have none of these yet other than Oddments.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Any favourites from the ones you mentioned. I have none of these yet other than Oddments.
    So far my faves are probably Changes and Ice, Death, Planets… (though the vibe on each is quite different). I haven’t spent much time with the others yet.

Changes is like a song cycle, with a recurring motif/theme that is pretty cool. It’s one of their more easygoing records too, from what I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I like their name more than their music I think.
    A name that would be fun for kids to say like Big Big Train.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    So far my faves are probably Changes and Ice, Death, Planets… (though the vibe on each is quite different). I haven’t spent much time with the others yet.

Changes is like a song cycle, with a recurring motif/theme that is pretty cool. It’s one of their more easygoing records too, from what I understand.
    Appreciate it! It's just the ones you mentioned are the ones I have on my want list so just curious for opinions.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Appreciate it! It's just the ones you mentioned are the ones I have on my want list so just curious for opinions.
    Sure thing. I hope it helped!

keep meeting people who are into this band and they all seem to have great taste. feel like everyone under the age of 25 who digs ELP and Yes is way into this band. to me they sound a bit like Gong - both in their sound and how they approach things. the last thing I need is to get into another prog band with 4 dozen double albums but I might make an exception for these folks.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

You have not heard anything like Vostok Lake, nor do you know anyone who has.

My 16-year old son just discovered them on Spotify. He is discovering good music on his own for the first time, actually. Anyway, he is playing me some tracks and I'm digging them, yet cannot pin down AT ALL what they actually sound like? They sound like 79 different bands, and a bit like Gong, as was mentioned above . The new one is basically metal, which is, well, different I guess? Or is it not with these guys?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    My 16-year old son just discovered them on Spotify. He is discovering good music on his own for the first time, actually. Anyway, he is playing me some tracks and I'm digging them, yet cannot pin down AT ALL what they actually sound like? They sound like 79 different bands, and a bit like Gong, as was mentioned above . The new one is basically metal, which is, well, different I guess? Or is it not with these guys?
    They have dabbled in metal before, at least with their album Infest the Rats Nest. I picked up their new album on vinyl from my local shop last week but haven’t found the time to spin it yet…

I do love these guys though. Stu and the boys sure seem to be passionate about making and performing music, and you can tell they’re having fun together. And you’re right, they’re all over the map with regard to style.

New album is great.....at least the first three sides.....side 4 is a spoken word piece which is very out there.