Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard

Kick ass.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

Kick ass.
    Heck yes. I listened to that song yesterday afternoon at work.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Another favorite song for me:

Not sure what it reminds me of exactly... Maybe a little of Steely Dan? That outro is super cool too.

can't seem to get into anything these guys do except for the microtonal stuff. without it they sound very competent to me but kinda middle-of-the-road in whatever they do. but i like spicy stuff to keep my interest.
    the microtonal stuff is really fun though! i like the KG and LW albums.
    Last edited by auxfnx; 07-21-2023 at 10:24 AM.

Love these dudes...especially when they go thrash Fun band that never stops releasing material.

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Killer set from The Enmore Theater, Sydney, April 22, 2021. I'm really digging this band!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Love these dudes...especially when they go thrash Fun band that never stops releasing material.

That is a fun song; sort of a Metallica meets Mastodon vibe to my ears. I’m not really a fan of thrash metal, but I found myself enjoying a lot of the new record and Gila Monster is probably my favorite track from it currently.

Besides the metal/thrash stuff, anybody who is into Krautrock should try this band. IMO they are as interesting as some of the classic Kraut bands, and arguably as diverse or even moreso.

curious which releases you'd recommend, I have Nonagon and dig that a lot - though it probably reminds me more of Motorpsycho's "N.O.X."
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    curious which releases you'd recommend, I have Nonagon and dig that a lot - though it probably reminds me more of Motorpsycho's "N.O.X."
    I've been basically jumping around using shuffle play...the diversity and eclecticism is pretty crazy. However, I did really dig the following entire albums:

Float Along: Fill Your Lungs
    I'm In Your Mind Fuzz
    Quarters
    Paper Mache Dream Balloon
    Nonagon
    Poly....
    KG
    Butterfly 3000
    Made in Timeland

Everything I've heard is at least very cool, and some if it is wicked ass cool. The live YT concerts in Melbourne and Sydney (2021) are probably my fav things so far....they kill live.

^ Great suggestions. Float Along - Fill Your Lungs contains some of my favorite music from them.

I would also recommend Changes, as well as Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms, and Lava.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    ^ Great suggestions. Float Along - Fill Your Lungs contains some of my favorite music from them.

I would also recommend Changes, as well as Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms, and Lava.
    Yes...Changes is fab too

This is fantastic...and slightly evil and twisted.

This is fantastic...and slightly evil and twisted.
    Ah man, that’s one I haven’t gotten to yet! I just started the altered beast section the other day while driving somewhere and found it to be pretty interesting. I want to hear the rest.

Right now I’m actually spinning the blue vinyl copy of Fishing For Fishies.

Not to sound like a broken record (ha!), but I really dig how this is a group of young(ish) guys who are all into making music. And not just any kind of music, but a form of rock music with all kinds of other influences thrown in. That Stu McKenzie is nearly a decade younger than me, well that really fills me with a deep sense of joy and gratitude. There is still some good out there in this younger generation.

Yes...Changes is fab too
    Oh for sure man. I really enjoy how they rework that recurring melody throughout the album. By the end it gets quite psychedelic and proggy in places. But the whole thing is really accessible too. And I still hate dancin’!

Right now I’m actually spinning the blue vinyl copy of Fishing For Fishies.
    Sweet! How does it sound? I started listening to the first few tracks of Fishies today but was slightly distracted. I need to do that whole album. This band is an entire universe to explore, even at this point. The live stuff too on top of the studio albums - pretty crazy!

Sweet! How does it sound? I started listening to the first few tracks of Fishies today but was slightly distracted. I need to do that whole album. This band is an entire universe to explore, even at this point. The live stuff too on top of the studio albums - pretty crazy!
    It sounds great man! Good quality pressing I think. And it looks pretty too.

My favorite tracks on Fishies so far are probably the title track, and The Bird Song. It’s got a different vibe overall, but it’s charming. I dig it.

You’re right about them being a universe to explore. I still haven’t even touched any of their live albums yet, even though I’ve got Chunky Shrapnel. That they can be this prolific, and yet so much of it is of still so good, it’s really impressive to me.

It sounds great man! Good quality pressing I think. And it looks pretty too.

My favorite tracks on Fishies so far are probably the title track, and The Bird Song. It’s got a different vibe overall, but it’s charming. I dig it.

You’re right about them being a universe to explore. I still haven’t even touched any of their live albums yet, even though I’ve got Chunky Shrapnel. That they can be this prolific, and yet so much of it is of still so good, it’s really impressive to me.
    I could see myself getting into trouble here with an out of control vinyl binge.

Must. Resist.

Not to sound like a broken record (ha!), but I really dig how this is a group of young(ish) guys who are all into making music. And not just any kind of music, but a form of rock music with all kinds of other influences thrown in. That Stu McKenzie is nearly a decade younger than me, well that really fills me with a deep sense of joy and gratitude. There is still some good out there in this younger generation.
    Yeah man - totally agreed. The fact that this band is as big as they are is very impressive, and well-deserved, although a bit surprising too. But I do see the jam band crowd getting attached to their music via improv-heavy nature there. But I also see proggers digging these guys, especially fans of Krautrock and pysch. They seem like super laid-back and down-to-Earth folks too. I personally like their lefty-hippy-ish-environentally-green-vibe leaning too. They remind me of Electric Orange in some ways, but of course very different too.

This band is easily my personal discovery of the year, at least in the rock/prog/pysch vein. If you are hesitant to check these guys out or don't know where to start, I would recommend Nonagon Infinity, at least for us proggers. It's a great one - all killer, no filler. All tracks segue into the next so its like one big 40+ minute journey. The last track just cuts off, but can be looped back to track one for basically an album that can loop endlessly.

I slept on this band for a while after hearing one 10-minute track, but I am now a certified fan for life. Whewwwww.....

Love it! I finally got around to the entire album. Killer pysch sound. The final track "Float Along - Fill Your Lungs" is phenomenal.

Recent (17 August) pro-shot set from Saint-Malo, France. The Gizz.

Yesterday I received my 9cd box set of Live at Red Rocks '22. They played 3 nights at Red Rocks (2 consecutive and one show a few weeks later) and recorded 8 hours of music and they didn't repeat one song. Obviously, this is a great overview of their entire discography.

https://needlejuice.bandcamp.com/alb...t-red-rocks-22
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking