Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porcupine Tree - Stars Die: The Delerium Years (91-97)

Porcupine Tree - Stars Die: The Delerium Years (91-97)

With everyone gearing up for SW's forthcoming solo release, I thought it would be fun to revisit his early Porcupine Tree days, something I haven't done for ages.

It still sounds good to my ears, but as I went through the album, and furrowed through the extensive sleeve notes, this compilation also throw up a few new thoughts that hadn't occurred to me before:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....m-years-91-97/

This is a fantastic collection, especially for those of us fondest of that period of the PTree story.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    This is a fantastic collection, especially for those of us fondest of that period of the PTree story.
    A valuable recording for the liner notes alone let alone the music. Some real insights though with each of the guys offering opinions on songs etc. In my opinion a must-have for PT fans.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I always liked what Wilson said about Rainy Taxi in the liner notes for this one. "At the time I recorded Rainy Taxi I was listening to a lot of Krautrock. I can clearly hear the influence of the organ-driven Komische sound of Ash Ra Tempel and Klause Schulze. I still love this kind of music... The resulting piece was unlike any other in Porcupine Tree history: a lonely, luminous and lovely organ study, delicately emotional and detached."
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I always liked what Wilson said about Rainy Taxi in the liner notes for this one. "At the time I recorded Rainy Taxi I was listening to a lot of Krautrock. I can clearly hear the influence of the organ-driven Komische sound of Ash Ra Tempel and Klause Schulze. I still love this kind of music... The resulting piece was unlike any other in Porcupine Tree history: a lonely, luminous and lovely organ study, delicately emotional and detached."
    Yeah, I remember reading that and thinking, "Holy crap, this guys is a bigger prog nerd than I am!"
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

A very nice and deep read, thanks!
    Also, the liner notes were written by Dann Chinn, a close friend of mine (he's also the unseen SW interviewer on the dvd "Insurgentes") and a great music journalist too...

Btw, Stars Die is going to be re-released next 21th of April

CD 1:

1. Radioactive Toy [10:10]
    2. Nine Cats [3:51]
    3. And The Swallows Dance Above The Sun [4:04]
    4. The Nostalgia Factory [7:33]
    5. Voyage 34 (Phase One 2004 Mix) [12:54]
    6. Synesthesia (extended version) [7:54]
    7. Phantoms [3:14]
    8. Up The Downstair (2004 version) [10:09]
    9. Fadeaway (2004 version) [6:16]
    10. Rainy Taxi [6:52]

CD 2:

1. Stars Die [5:06]
    2. The Sky Moves Sideways (Phase One) [18:37]
    3. Men Of Wood [3:34]
    4. Waiting [4:27]
    5. The Sound Of No-One Listening (2001 mix) [8:14]
    6. Colourflow In Mind [3:50]
    7. Fuse The Sky [4:33]
    8. Signify II [6:05]
    9. Every Home Is Wired [5:13]
    10. Sever [5:30]
    11. Dark Matter [8:12]

(the 2004 versions have Gavin Harrison replacing original programed drum-machines)
    It also says that it is a "2016" remaster...

https://www.burningshed.com/store/po...duct/169/8532/

The only Porcupine Tree period I still revert to.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Yeah, I remember reading that and thinking, "Holy crap, this guys is a bigger prog nerd than I am!"
    You and me both! I remember that quiz that he and Akerfeldt took about Prog and I couldn't believe how much Wilson knew.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Stars Die is my favorite PT song.

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I almost agree, Rainy Taxi is one of SW's most mesmerising and unique pieces of music. I would say though that the track does kind of have a 'sister' piece - have a listen to Headphone Dust on one of the IEM albums.

I like PT a lot more before SW discovered metal...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I almost agree, Rainy Taxi is one of SW's most mesmerising and unique pieces of music. I would say though that the track does kind of have a 'sister' piece - have a listen to Headphone Dust on one of the IEM albums.
    Yup you nailed it, if I had continued the quote it goes like this. "Steven would later explore this strand of music in greater depth via a separate project-EMI..."
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    Me too I suppose, I enjoy the Sky Moves Sideways to Lightbulb Sun period mostly.

This is an excellent collection and occasional spins cover most of that early PT itch. I do still listen to Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and Recordings though. Of the metal phase, apart from Blackest Eyes, which is a great song, I don't revisit the albums these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Stars Die is my favorite PT song.
    Stars Die and Waiting are two of my many faves.

Me too I suppose, I enjoy the Sky Moves Sideways to Lightbulb Sun period mostly.
    That's my favorite era as well...with 'Signify' being my favored album.

Funny - I like them a lot more after.

This is a good collection but doesn't get that much play around here.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Funny - I like them a lot more after.

This is a good collection but doesn't get that much play around here.
    I can understand why. I mean, I don't dislike them...I just liked them more before the guitars got all heavy. I still love SW's use of mood. I just prefer from Lightbulb Sun and back, if I have my choice.

I can understand why. I mean, I don't dislike them...I just liked them more before the guitars got all heavy. I still love SW's use of mood. I just prefer from Lightbulb Sun and back, if I have my choice.
    Seconded!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Seconded!
    Thirded

MY OPINION IS POPULAR!!! YAY ME!!!!

This band, as most bands do, evolved over time, with a more acoustic sound in the early years to a more metal sound later on. And with that, My musical tastes evolved too. Enjoying every change each album brought. I have basically loved everything they ever did.
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

Stars Die and Waiting are two of my many faves.
    Absolutely! I remember PT playing Stars Die during one of their later concerts and feeling a lot of emotion during the process.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    The only Porcupine Tree period I still revert to.
    Indeed.

And the "prog nerdy" aspect is one of the main explanations as to why this early stage appears way more heartfelt, bold and personal than what he would create later on. This being said, I have a hard time finding much of his work particularly vital now in hindsight. He was an avid collector and researcher back in those days, but alas there were MANY of those emanating from that particular clique of the UK "post-punk neo-psych" DIY underground. And whereas many of those other artists would dig deeper into the worlds of dub, electronica, drum'n'bass, space-rock and you name it, Wilson was the only one to consciously (and successfully) leave faintly experimental humble beginnings behind in trace of overt bigness. The latter at the cost of his initial eclectist stance, I have to say - although he made a couple of very decent solo records with a wholly other approach altogether. Some of his I.E.M. and Bass Communion endeavours remain quite listenable as well.

PTree were a solid act up until and including Signify to my ears. I hear little-to-absolutely-no development occuring after that. The original CD-EP featuring "Rainy Taxi", Staircase Infinities, actually contains some of his very best recordings overall (IMO). It came as a limited edition collector's item of leftovers from the UtD sessions in '91.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I guess that was the "natural" end of this thread, then.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM