Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

I suspect tariffs are somewhere on what must be a very long list. A couple years ago I tasted the Kirkland Single Malt from Costco. It certainly wasn't Lagavulin but it was decent, especially for the price. I wonder if they get under the tariff by being a US company?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Keep in mind that the last administration allowed a tariff with the UK to move forward about 15 months ago. This included a 25% tariff on scotch. Some distilleries and distributors have absorbed some of that cost. But at this point, it's increased the average price of a bottle anywhere between $10-25 bucks. Let's hope this eventually gets resolved.

That said...

Ardbeg Wee Beastie 5yr: perhaps now the best cheaper peated name brand out there. Usually you can find it for $40-45.

Ardbeg Uigeadail or Corryvreckan - Very popular NAS whiskies that are both regarded for different reasons. $75-95.

Finlaggan - If you can find it, this is super cheap and slightly blunt/cheap tasting campfire whisky. I was able to find it for $25.

Lagavulin 8 - Less subtle and refined than the 16 yr, this packs a pretty heavy punch as well. You should be able to find it between $45-60.

Talisker 10 - Should still be available for $60-75.

Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10 - Definitely recommend this one, combining sweet malty flavors with high octane peat. Typically $60-75.

Kilchoman Machir Bay or Sanaig - Sanaig tastes a bit more like Laphroaig. Machir Bay tastes like the Port Charlotte. Pricing I've found between $55-80.

Ledaig 10 - Like a poor man's Lag 16. $50-75.
    Thanks man! I have seen the Talisker and have always been meaning to give that a try. I have had Ardberg 10 and like it. That Bruichladdich looks interesting, but wonder if it's available here. All goin on the list.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Highland Park Vikings Honor (or something like that) isn't as peaty, but still good, and in your price range.
    I've had this and I do like it, but I do prefer the more peaty stuff. Thanks!

Currently enjoying (euphemism) a dram of my Morangie Baccalta bottle. Sadly the bottle is down to its last third, and not likely that I'll find another bottle of those yearly batches. It's been one of their best (some yearly batches were disappointing, IMHO)

Highland Park Vikings Honor (or something like that) isn't as peaty, but still good, and in your price range.
    I recently had the Scar (10yo), but TBH, I think they (distillery) overplay the viking suff as a gimmick (the artwork features keltic art, nothing Scandic). But I like the 0.35 or 0.5l bottles (reason primo uno why I indulged)

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I've had this and I do like it, but I do prefer the more peaty stuff. Thanks!
    Actually HP is about as peaty as I like to go (which is not much compared to Laphoiag and others), and I'll probably return to HP for the 12, 14, 16 and maybe even the 18, someday.

The great thing about the light peat is that it doesn't overpower the rest of the aromas
    Last edited by Trane; 01-29-2021 at 05:15 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Currently enjoying (euphemism) a dram of my Morangie Baccalta bottle. Sadly the bottle is down to its last third, and not likely that I'll find another bottle of those yearly batches. It's been one of their best (some yearly batches were disappointing, IMHO)
    The Bacalta is one of my favorite Glenmorangies, right up there with the Quinta Ruban and LaSanta, IMO. Maybe even more so.

Some of them have been disappointing, but the Astar was one in particular that I really did not like. It had a citrus and menthol flavor that didn't really work for me. Their Tusail and Milsean on the other hand, I really liked.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Only place I have ever seen Finlaggan is Trader Joe's. I thought it was one of their store brands. If it's more widespread, then chalk up my ignorance to living in a fairly small city. Or to anything you wish. We're all ignorant when you get us away from our area of expertise.
    Virginia is state run and there is no Finlaggan, but I was able to find it in Maryland. It's sort of a "mystery malt" in that many suspect Finlaggan sources their distillate from either Lagavulin or Caol Ila. It does sort of taste like a pretty impudent Lag, so that's my guess.

It's definitely worth a try at the price. Cool that Trader Joe's has it. Finlaggan has a few other expressions. I have only tried the standard and the cask strength.

What kind of rat bastard would do something like that? It's unAmerican. No taxation without representation! I'd organize a Scotch Party, not unlike Boston's famous historical Tea Party, but it's too far to the nearest sea port and I wouldn't dare waste good whisky by pouring it overboard. Hopefully the new administration will eventually get around to repealing the tariffs, which are really poorly disguised taxes on the consumer.
    The popular tale has it that the tariffs were allowed to occur over unresolved disputes in regards to Airbus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I suspect tariffs are somewhere on what must be a very long list.
    It may not be long. Apparently post-Brexit UK might be the ones to blink first.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Thanks man! I have seen the Talisker and have always been meaning to give that a try. I have had Ardberg 10 and like it. That Bruichladdich looks interesting, but wonder if it's available here. All goin on the list.
    Excellent. Everything should be fairly commonly available at any decent store except perhaps the Finlaggan and the Kilchoman.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    The Bacalta is one of my favorite Glenmorangies, right up there with the Quinta Ruban and LaSanta, IMO. Maybe even more so.

Some of them have been disappointing, but the Astar was one in particular that I really did not like. It had a citrus and menthol flavor that didn't really work for me. Their Tusail and Milsean on the other hand, I really liked.
    I have tried a few of the Glenmorangie annuals, but nothing that made me run out and get a bottle. Have either of you tried "A Tale of Cake" or "Cadboll Estate"? The first is finished in a sweet dessert wine, the latter is bourbon casks, but supposed to be light and full of honey.

I still have yet to try Signet.

I have tried a few of the Glenmorangie annuals, but nothing that made me run out and get a bottle. Have either of you tried "A Tale of Cake" or "Cadboll Estate"? The first is finished in a sweet dessert wine, the latter is bourbon casks, but supposed to be light and full of honey.

I was relatively disappointed withne Madeira batch, which tasted like a srale madeira port wine. TBH, I have a hard time taking Take Of Cake seriously and looking at the bottle, I'm tempted to run away.

I did taste a couple if those annuals like Tusail, Companta (I really wanted to take a bottle home but waited too long), and Accord.
    But I have missed out on a lot of them when released.

Signet, I'd love to try before indulging (the coffee thing sort of scares me a little), but the bottle is amazingly superb
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk
    I have seen the Talisker and have always been meaning to give that a try.
    It is one of the first single malts I ever tried, decades ago. I still like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth
    Everything should be fairly commonly available at any decent store except perhaps the Finlaggan and the Kilchoman.
    I have seen Kilchoman out here. Haven't tried it because I had heard nothing about it. Thanks for your review.

I haven't tried A Tale of Cake, but I'd like to. The Cadboll Estate is "okay" IMO, but nothing to write home about. The menthol finish is not very enjoyable for me. I much prefer the Bacalta, or even the Allta (which has an interesting flavor).

Signet is very good. My cousin has a bottle and we had some last time I was visiting him. For the price, it ain't a bad choice at all.

I recently had the Scar (10yo), but TBH, I think they (distillery) overplay the viking suff as a gimmick (the artwork features keltic art, nothing Scandic). But I like the 0.35 or 0.5l bottles (reason primo uno why I indulged)
    It's entirely marketing, afaik. I think I read or heard that the Viking Honor is just the HP 10 year repackaged. Might even be piggybacking on the popularity of the TV series, etc.

I haven't tried A Tale of Cake, but I'd like to. The Cadboll Estate is "okay" IMO, but nothing to write home about. The menthol finish is not very enjoyable for me. I much prefer the Bacalta, or even the Allta (which has an interesting flavor).

Signet is very good. My cousin has a bottle and we had some last time I was visiting him. For the price, it ain't a bad choice at all.
    That's something that scares me away: anything minty (or coconuty) in my Glencairn glass is not welcomed , so thanks for the warning.

How is the coffee aroma on the Signet? Overpowering or not? Does it provide a touch of bitterness?

It's entirely marketing, afaik. I think I read or heard that the Viking Honor is just the HP 10 year repackaged. Might even be piggybacking on the popularity of the TV series, etc.
    Yeah, out of curiosity, I went on their HP site and have checked out all their special bottlings like the Bear, Wolf and Eagle series, and their "traveller edition" packages. Hard to imagine that big tattoed bald rugbyman Pict savage/brute (straight out of the Braveheart film cast) presenting the tasting videos having a discerning palate at all.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Interesting, and good descriptions of lower price whiskies. However, the reviewer seemed to cater to people who like their Scotch in cocktails. I have never had, nor desired, a Scotch whisky cocktail. I don't really consider Scotch mixable with anything other than water. To each his own, though.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    From that article, I would vote for Ardbeg 10 (but actually prefer the Wee Beastie), Glendronach 12 (usually not available under $50), and Glenmorangie 10. I like JW Green as well - but I have rarely ever seen it under $50. Benriach 10 is also decent.

I have tasted 3 Jura whiskies, and found all to be "okay". The Singleton I had was bad. Not really heard of SIA. Not had Glenrothes or Aberfeldy.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Interesting, and good descriptions of lower price whiskies. However, the reviewer seemed to cater to people who like their Scotch in cocktails. I have never had, nor desired, a Scotch whisky cocktail. I don't really consider Scotch mixable with anything other than water. To each his own, though.
    Same here. Plenty of cheap American whiskey for cocktails.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like the Ardberg, Glenmorangie and Jura
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I like the Ardberg, Glenmorangie and Jura
    Ian have you explored Scotland a bunch of times since you're from northern England?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Not as much as I should have.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

So my glorious go to Laphroig QC has gone up $20 and I'm not pleased. Once again friends, if you could recommend some under $80 delights that taste like I'm drinking a campfire my liver and I would be eternally grateful.
    Klonkster....not sure if you can get Talisker Port Ruighe in the states, but this is an absolutely wonderful bottle. I bought it in Portree when we were in Skye and it was an instant favorite. Some sweetness from port casks (and you really get some wood) but some toned-down Talisker peatiness. It's an amazing balance and goes down like chocolate milk at a birthday party. What?

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/...he-port-finish

From that article, I would vote for Ardbeg 10 (but actually prefer the Wee Beastie), Glendronach 12 (usually not available under $50), and Glenmorangie 10. I like JW Green as well - but I have rarely ever seen it under $50. Benriach 10 is also decent.

I have tasted 3 Jura whiskies, and found all to be "okay". The Singleton I had was bad. Not really heard of SIA. Not had Glenrothes or Aberfeldy.
    from that list, the Morangie 10 is the clear winner

In descending order of personal taste: I tasted the Rothes (my buddy's fave) and owned a bottle of Aberfeldy (not the one in the list though) and a 0.35 of Jura and had once the GW Green and the Ardbeg. Not tasted the others.
    I could never bring myself to trying any of those many Singleton malts (weird concept) flasks (the blueish glass colour of some of them)

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Not as much as I should have.
    better hurry before you need a passport

That's something that scares me away: anything minty (or coconuty) in my Glencairn glass is not welcomed , so thanks for the warning.
    I'm much the same way.

Although I do actually like coconut flavor, when it's present.

How is the coffee aroma on the Signet? Overpowering or not? Does it provide a touch of bitterness?
    IMO the coffee flavor/aroma is not overpowering; honestly, I didn't even notice a coffee aspect when I was drinking it. To me it just tasted like very good Glenmorangie. I'd say don't let the coffee descriptor be a deterrent, as it's pretty minor. From what I remember at least.

IMO the coffee flavor/aroma is not overpowering; honestly, I didn't even notice a coffee aspect when I was drinking it. To me it just tasted like very good Glenmorangie. I'd say don't let the coffee descriptor be a deterrent, as it's pretty minor. From what I remember at least.
    I've actually never tasted coffee aromas from Scot spirits/liquors (Tia Maria and Kalhua are not Scottish ), but have many times tasted toffee - especially on cask strength bottles where they come out loud & clear.

======================

Yes, importing taxes on Scotch could steeply increase due to Brexit

I've actually never tasted coffee aromas from Scot spirits/liquors (Tia Maria and Kalhua are not Scottish ), but have many times tasted toffee - especially on cask strength bottles where they come out loud & clear.
    I can't say I've ever tasted coffee myself when drinking any scotch. But yes, the toffee notes are often there -- and most welcome.

Talisker 10 - Should still be available for $60-75.
    Nice call on this one buddy! Very nice. There's just enough peaty in here to keep me happy. Very satisfying and a good $

I got the Ardberg Wee Beastie in the batters circle