Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

Here's what's on hand at Chez Rotter's these days:

Balvenie Doublewood 12 yr
    Glenfiddick 15 yr
    Glenfiddick "The Original" (no idea what this is, as it was gift. Came in a metal box a la ...)
    Glenfiddick "The Snow Phoenix"
    Lagavulin 16 yr
    Highland Park 18 yr
    Johnny Walker Red (apparently, it was in my wife's desk at work for years "in case of emergency!!!") - now used for Rusty Nails when my brother-in-law visits
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The Lagavulin & Balvenie would be my go to of those (oh yeah, I have those!)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

I'd love to hear some solid mid price range recommendations. I'd love to be able to spend the $$ more on these great choices, but it aint happening!

$40-$60 is what I'd prefer. Last week I bought a bottle of Glenlivet Nadurra and really like it. Over $70 though...delish, but ouch!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I'd love to hear some solid mid price range recommendations. I'd love to be able to spend the $$ more on these great choices, but it aint happening!

$40-$60 is what I'd prefer. Last week I bought a bottle of Glenlivet Nadurra and really like it. Over $70 though...delish, but ouch!
    Hmm...can you tell us a few things...

- Flavor profile, what do you like, what don't you?
    - Can you send us a link to where you typically shop as pricing can vary greatly?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'mnot very good at descriptions, but I do really love that peaty burn of Laphroig Quarter Cask. I prefer that over sweeter flavors...that make sense?

http://https://www.pearlriverwines.com

^^^ Lagavulin 16 should be your next stop.

If you want to try something really dry, then try Talisker.

^ Good luck finding a $60 Lagavulin.

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 Year Old
    Bowmore 12 Year Old
    Jura 10 Year Old
    Ardberg 10 Year Old
    Glenfiddich 12 Year Old

You should be able to get all those for less then $50, I'd start with the Ardberg or the Bowmore as those are both peaty.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

I'mnot very good at descriptions, but I do really love that peaty burn of Laphroig Quarter Cask. I prefer that over sweeter flavors...that make sense?

http://https://www.pearlriverwines.com
    No worries. Based on what your store has, I suggest:

Highland Park 12: classic, balanced, smokey, a must try once at least

Glenmorangie 10: cheaper price point. Sweeter than what you might prefer, but very drinkable and popular standard

Laphroaig Select: A "thrifty" priced expression without an age statement. It grew on me as you get the typical flavor with a little less bite, but is not as great as quarter cask. Its also 80 proof. $20 cheaper is an incentive.

Talisker Storm: Not as blatantly smokey as the 10 year, it's a complex mix of flavors with a peppery bite.

I didn't see Ardbeg at the store, but would second Ian's rec. That said, Ardbeg tastes a lot like Laphroaig and if you're looking to expand your tastes a bit, I'd start elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Good luck finding a $60 Lagavulin.
    Don't know what sorts of taxes & tariffs are added for US import, but Lagavulin is easy to get hold of for under £50 in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Don't know what sorts of taxes & tariffs are added for US import, but Lagavulin is easy to get hold of for under £50 in the UK.
    It's difficult to get here under $75.

^ It is wonderful stuff though, and in some regards combines the best traits of some of the different Islay whiskys. I'd buy it more often, but it's north of $90 around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    No worries. Based on what your store has, I suggest:

Highland Park 12: classic, balanced, smokey, a must try once at least

Glenmorangie 10: cheaper price point. Sweeter than what you might prefer, but very drinkable and popular standard

Laphroaig Select: A "thrifty" priced expression without an age statement. It grew on me as you get the typical flavor with a little less bite, but is not as great as quarter cask. Its also 80 proof. $20 cheaper is an incentive.

Talisker Storm: Not as blatantly smokey as the 10 year, it's a complex mix of flavors with a peppery bite.

I didn't see Ardbeg at the store, but would second Ian's rec. That said, Ardbeg tastes a lot like Laphroaig and if you're looking to expand your tastes a bit, I'd start elsewhere.
    It does carry Ardberg which I liked very much and yes it's similar to Laphroig. The Highland Park I liked a lot too. I'll give those others a whirl thanks...that is if my liver doesn't jump out of my asshole

One of these days I'll plunk down the $$ on that Lagavulin.

Thanks for the input folks!

No problemo.

^ It is wonderful stuff though, and in some regards combines the best traits of some of the different Islay whiskys. I'd buy it more often, but it's north of $90 around here.
    It's been a while since I've had it, but I much prefer the Ardbeg/Laphroaig "barbicide sterilizing, is that an ashtray I licked, so this is what the Scottish bog smells like" profile to the traditional smokey profile that seems to permeate those like Bowmore and Lagavulin.

That said, I did notice that the Montgomery County Maryland liquor stores I occasionally road trip to (because of better pricing) has Lagavulin 16 on sale for $61, so maybe I'll go get a bottle and see if I can be won over. It's happened before.

It's difficult to get here under $75.
    That's brutal. I remember just a few years back, here in the UK, when Lagavulin was priced in the same band as whiskies like Glenlivet & Glenmorangie. I haven't bought it for a while, so I was surprised even to see it priced in the mid- to high-£40s. And the 16 was always its standard age - I wonder if they've chosen to hike the price, & market the 16 as if it were an aged version (like the Glenmorangie 18)...

With Aberlour, you can't go wrong ... it's one of the best Speyside and rooughly $£€ than it's close competition (Glenfiddich, Macalan, etc... )

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 Year Old
    Saw it at 54€ at my local supermarket , so it's unlikely to be that cheap across the pond with the exchange rate.

It does carry Ardberg which I liked very much and yes it's similar to Laphroig. The Highland Park I liked a lot too. I'll give those others a whirl thanks...that is if my liver doesn't jump out of my asshole

One of these days I'll plunk down the $$ on that Lagavulin.

In terms of smoky/peaty, try Lagavulin, before you go for more extreme stuff like Ardbeg or Laphroiagh.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I wonder if they've chosen to hike the price, & market the 16 as if it were an aged version (like the Glenmorangie 18)...
    It's always been a bit pricey that I can remember, but I'm sure the "16 years" has something to do with it. It's also a Diageo owned product, which might say something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Quinta Ruban
    Saw it at 54€ at my local supermarket , so it's unlikely to be that cheap across the pond with the exchange rate.
    Glenmorangie 10, Lasanta, and Quinta Ruban are all pretty reasonably priced here. I have gotten both Lasanta and QR for $40 before (and the 10 year for close to $30), though it's usually closer to $50.

Nectar D'or is always like $10 more. Their annual release tends to run $85-100, so I've never reached for it.

Glenmorangie 10, Lasanta, and Quinta Ruban are all pretty reasonably priced here. I have gotten both Lasanta and QR for $40 before (and the 10 year for close to $30), though it's usually closer to $50.

Nectar D'or is always like $10 more. Their annual release tends to run $85-100, so I've never reached for it.
    amazing... Nectar is only 3 or 4€ more than QR or Lasanta... Go figure

TBH, it's only the second time I reach for the year/signature...

The Madeira of a few years back was disappointing, but this year's Bacalta is awesome, and definitely (almost) worth the 75€ I paid for.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    The Madeira of a few years back was disappointing, but this year's Bacalta is awesome, and definitely (almost) worth the 75€ I paid for.
    I heard the same, but didn't reach for it. My last purchases were a few discontinued sales:

Highland Park - Dark Origins (tastes a lot like Macallan 12)
    Glenlivet 16 Nadurra cask strength (not opened yet)

Maybe I'll get lucky and score a discontinued Bacalta in a few months.

Glenlivet 16 Nadurra cask strength (not opened yet)
    This is the last bottle I bought. I think it's great! In fact I can't wait to pour myself a good glass after the Giants score 7 on their first possession!

^ The wait will only make you savor it more.

^ The wait will only make you savor it more.
    I think he meant week 2.

I think he meant week 2.
    That might be over confident.
    Ian

I'm one of the 212.

both of you can shut up now.

Back to scotch...