Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheer Accident

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meme Prog Mutation View Post
    Thanks for posting that link Steve. It was perfect listening while watching the hockey game with the sound muted.
    LOL. That’s a funny but cool combo!

pre-order is available on bandcamp for their new album "Fades"

One track is already up...and its great!

https://skingraftrecords.bandcamp.com/album/fades

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    pre-order is available on bandcamp for their new album "Fades"

One track is already up...and its great!

https://skingraftrecords.bandcamp.com/album/fades
    The credits are odd: Jeff Libersher wrote all the music and Thymme Jones wrote none of it; those two are the only C-A members on the album, although they play on every track. Dante Kester and Amelie Morgan, the other current band members, aren't on it at all, but many guest players are - various of those guests sing all the lead vocals, and Thymme sings none. The recording dates from 2013-14, back when Dante was just joining the band and a couple of years before Amelie did. So the whole thing almost looks as if it might have started out as a JL solo album, then got released under the Cheer-Accident umbrella.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 04-03-2018 at 03:01 PM.

I'll pick up a copy from them directly when I see them in June.

Interesting! Thanks for the heads-up, I've bookmarked this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    The credits are odd: Jeff Libersher wrote all the music and Thymme Jones wrote none of it; those two are the only C-A members on the album, although they play on every track. Dante Kester and Amelie Morgan, the other current band members, aren't on it at all, but many guest players are - various of those guests sing all the lead vocals, and Thymme sings none. The recording dates from 2013-14, back when Dante was just joining the band and a couple of years before Amelie did. So the whole thing almost looks as if it might have started out as a JL solo album, then got released under the Cheer-Accident umbrella.
    Hi Baribrotzer - I’ve had the pleasure of working on the record and I can confirm that it is a proper C-A album. Jeff is the primary songwriter this time, but Thymme does sing on it too and will be the first to say that this is one of the band's best. :-)

Edited / added on 4/20:
    Here is the description of “Fades” from the one-sheet:

Though the album opens and closes in “Kraut Pop” territory, that term does little to prepare the listener for the breadth of musical riches contained within. On “Fades” Thymme Jones, Jeff
    Libersher and Cheer-Accident’s core line-up are emboldened by a parade of musical guests - a 21st Century Wrecking Crew of the underground - whose contributions are absolutely dizzying.

Beautifully tortured guitars and distorted bass bump up against triumphant brass and melancholy strings on “The Mind-Body Experience”... in a performance equal parts creepy and empathic, the singular Dawn McCarthy (Faun Fables, Bonnie “Prince” Billy) sings about “Monsters”… while Bethany Schmitt (aka You Tube’s Hip Hop sensation "The Buttress") performs a frightening / surreal rap breakdown beside Nils Frykdahl (Free Salamander Exhibit) on “House Of Dowse”.

Additional vocalists include Sacha Mullin of Lovely Little Girls fame and Carla Kihlstedt of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. Counted among the ranks of “Fades” best-in-class musicians are Katherine Young (“Bassoon colossus!” - The Wire), Julie Pomerleau (Bobby Conn) and engineer Todd Rittmann (Dead Rider, U.S. Maple) whose immaculate, nuanced production serves as the great unifier of Cheer-Accident’s most expansive, ambitious album to date.
    Last edited by hotandserious; 04-21-2018 at 03:05 AM. Reason: new info

Magnet Magazine just posted the public streaming debut of the opening track "Done":
    http://magnetmagazine.com/2018/04/20...ccidents-done/

Their new one, "Fades" is great. I just got it today.

Kind of interesting, as it's ALL written by Jeff Libersher or Jeff & Scott Rutledge.

And t was recorded in 2013 & 2014. I don't 'subscribe' so I don't know if these are all tunes that have appeared before in their monthly subscription.

but it sounds like CHEER-ACCIDENT and Jeff is a great writer too. So:
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Their new one, "Fades" is great. I just got it today.

Kind of interesting, as it's ALL written by Jeff Libersher or Jeff & Scott Rutledge.

And t was recorded in 2013 & 2014. I don't 'subscribe' so I don't know if these are all tunes that have appeared before in their monthly subscription.

but it sounds like CHEER-ACCIDENT and Jeff is a great writer too. So:
    I think a couple have been in the sub - last one had a couple too. Nice to have context on them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I think a couple have been in the sub - last one had a couple too. Nice to have context on them now.
    "Putting Off Death" was all tracks from the sub. That was a point of discussion, but, obviously, we worked it out to everyone's satisfaction.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Putting Off Death" was all tracks from the sub. That was a point of discussion, but, obviously, we worked it out to everyone's satisfaction.
    huh...I could swear I didnt know a couple of those tunes on "Putting Off Death" from the sub... maybe I missed a couple months - shite. Thanks Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    huh...I could swear I didnt know a couple of those tunes on "Putting Off Death" from the sub... maybe I missed a couple months - shite. Thanks Steve.
    Well, that's what they told me, anyhow....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

And what satisfaction, I might add! Their last string of albums has been amazing, but there's something special about the whole Putting Off Death package. Fantastic, Coen-bros. like art-rock/pop of the highest order. Still spinning regularly, as are the previous two.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Nice track there, me dig.

My preorder from Skin Graft arrived this afternoon. Loving it. Sounds like CHEER-ACCIDENT like Steve said. The vinyl pressing sounds great.

Not sure yet what yet my favorite tracks are, it's all fucking good.
    Last edited by mike_hunt; 05-19-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Although a mailing snafu meant I just got mine today, I appreciate Skin Graft mailing out the CD preorders a bit early. In any case, this is a great album. Might be one of their best, honestly, which is kind of amazing for a band on their 19th release. What struck me when listening to the album which didn't when hearing the previews for some reason is that it's one of their "poppier" albums. It's almost like a combination of Enduring the American Dream, the Why/What duo, and No Ifs ands or Dogs (not to imply they're repeating themselves at all, mind). It's gritty and fairly dark, but mostly pretty concise and accessible in the songwriting. Seems like it could be a good intro album for those not sure where to start. Last But Not Lost is still maybe my favorite, but most of the songs are pretty great. House of Dowse might be one of the catchiest songs the band's ever done. Great guest spots across the album, too. I wonder why they sat on these recordings for four years?

Quote Originally Posted by Gazoinks View Post
    I wonder why they ...
    That's kind of what C-A are always about and always have been about....imo.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Well, that's what they told me, anyhow....
    The new one is definitely all subscription tracks. I just verified that one - the previous album as I can see is not all subs - but certainly a few are.

It's up on bandcamp...https://skingraftrecords.bandcamp.com/album/fades

...but I don't understand. They told me that this is an avant band, and this doesn't sound avant enough for my avant taste. It's not extrememly weird, complicated, incomprehensible music to make me feel stupid enough so I can then brag to my friends of what a cool person I am to listen to such avant music.

To cut the crap right here, it is absolutely amazing how they keep this high level after all these years. And how they continue to transform their art into something new. I think I like this even more than Putting Off Death. The two Nils Frykdahl tracks are so good that a Nils/Jones/Libersher steady trio would be my dream roster of a band. Particularly Art Land, with its mainstream, hard rock riff and post punk, middle section is an early 80's anthem.

Bow and respect to these people. Now how can I get the LP without spending a fortune in postage?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wow this thing is really good even by C-A's excellent standards.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Okay, I guess I have to get this one too. I really liked Putting Off Death, so if this one is anywhere near that level then it's definitely something I want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Now how can I get the LP without spending a fortune in postage?

While I'm what rcarlberg would define as an absolutt horribel vinyl-hipster (and especially now that I've got a beard, although it's more of a kinda mountain-man affair), I won't be purchasing much more vinyl from the US. Simply too expensive to get through customs from there. I'll might be lucky as hell to find it popping up at one of the usual retailers here in Oslo, but it'll still be costly due to imports.

Guess I'll have to stick with the ol' upcoming Skin Graft CD-R when I get moneys. It's exceptionally disconcerting how they're not sufficiently avant, though - 'cause it's all in the degrees and extent! Where on the scale of the avant does it bant? Will it varrant a comparison to Adam Ant?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Will it varrant a comparison to Adam Ant?
    No, they are adamant about being compared to Warrant.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Nice quick interview with Jeff and Sacha Mullin that sheds some light on the creation of the album: ventsmagazine.com/2018/05/24/premiere-cheer-accident-release-new-single-im-just-afraid/ In particular, it was being considered as a solo album of Jeff's before Thymme's delightful assertion that if it wasn't going to sound like a C-A album, it definitely should be one.