Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yes' Chris Squire on Their Classic Album Tour, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Yes' Chris Squire on Their Classic Album Tour, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Pretty simple interview with some pretty direct answers. The point that blew me away is that they were not going to perform the albums in the sequence that they were released. And, quite frankly, that's a bit disappointing to this Yes fan, I thought that Awaken, my favorite Yes song ever, would be the climatic culmination of an stupendous "evening with" but, truth be told, I'll be more now for my favorite song now that it will be nearer to the middle of the evening and to end a show before the encore with Perpetual Change will bother me just a little<NOT!

I know they aren't the men they were before but neither am I and I am STOKED to see this upcoming tour.

Peace,
    Alex

Interesting comment on the R&R HOF: "In our case, we're on our 18th member. If we ever do get inducted, it would be only fair to have all the members, old and new."

I think that's fantastic if they were to insist upon that. It would be great to see folks like Moraz and Banks get recognized. I wonder if all 18 would show up? And I think the HOF decides which members they were inducting. I seem to recall that issue came up when Santana was inducted.

I am curious about the 18 though. By my count I get 17:

Vocalists (4): Anderson, Horn, David, Davison
    Guitarists (4): Banks, Howe, Rabin, Sherwood
    Bassists (1): Squire
    Drummers (2): Bruford, White
    Keyboardists (6): Kaye, R. Wakeman, Moraz, Downes, Khoroshev, O. Wakeman

Is Squire counting Tom Brislin?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Interesting comment on the R&R HOF: "In our case, we're on our 18th member. If we ever do get inducted, it would be only fair to have all the members, old and new."

I think that's fantastic if they were to insist upon that. It would be great to see folks like Moraz and Banks get recognized. I wonder if all 18 would show up? And I think the HOF decides which members they were inducting. I seem to recall that issue came up when Santana was inducted.

You forgot Yoko.

Quote Originally Posted by ajcmixer View Post
    Pretty simple interview with some pretty direct answers. The point that blew me away is that they were not going to perform the albums in the sequence that they were released. And, quite frankly, that's a bit disappointing to this Yes fan, I thought that Awaken, my favorite Yes song ever, would be the climatic culmination of an stupendous "evening with"
    They should play CTTE - TYE - G4T1. Open with an epic and close with the ultimate.
    )) Question - Do they play encores? If not, these will be the first Yesshows without Roundabout & Owner of... in forever. ((
    (Woo-hoo!!)
    Love him saying after this tour we record a new album with Davison and tour that. AND perhaps we do something special with Anderson (Broadway residency?) after that.

THERE'S NO STOPPING YES!!!!
    "I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about."
    - Peter Griffin ("Family Guy")

It really is weird to see that Yes is getting mainstream, conventional coverage in Rolling Stone. Go figure. 30-40 years too late. Is that rag even relevant, any more?

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    It really is weird to see that Yes is getting mainstream, conventional coverage in Rolling Stone. Go figure. 30-40 years too late. Is that rag even relevant, any more?
    Obviously not, since they're covering prog...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyNational View Post
    They should play CTTE - TYE - G4T1. Open with an epic and close with the ultimate.
    )) Question - Do they play encores? If not, these will be the first Yesshows without Roundabout & Owner of... in forever. ((
    (Woo-hoo!!)
    Love him saying after this tour we record a new album with Davison and tour that. AND perhaps we do something special with Anderson (Broadway residency?) after that.

THERE'S NO STOPPING YES!!!!
    He's already stated that they will have to do Roundabout for an encore. Owner Of A Lonely Heart wasn't played in San Jose when Procol Harum opened for them. The last time I saw that was at the Shoreline when they played with Styx and Kansas in 2011. I think ending the 3 album show with Perpetual Change is actually pretty brilliant. The way that song ends will leave everyone in the perfect mood for Roundabout.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Obviously not, since they're covering prog...
    Indeed. I can't even remember the last time I picked up a physical copy of this rag. Reading that article, I was instinctively waiting for the joke, the punch line, the schneid remark, the obligatory derision. It never came. This must a totally different Rolling Stone than the one I remember from many years ago.

I don't think so he was just a touring keyboardist. Eddie Jobson however was a member and is in the original Owner Of A Lonley Heart video during the rehearsal footage in the beginning. Jobson makes the 18th member regardless of his stay being less than a month.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I don't think so he was just a touring keyboardist. Eddie Jobson however was a member and is in the original Owner Of A Lonley Heart video during the rehearsal footage in the beginning. Jobson makes the 18th member regardless of his stay being less than a month.
    Did Jobson record anything? Did he tour? NO. Brislin would far more qualify.

Banned
    Squire must mean Jimmy Haun as the 18th member.

How about the guy under the stage during the 80's tours?

Actually Eddie Offord probably qualifies as well...

Seriously, i would put Brislin above Jobson as well, as far as their involvement with the band. He was an integral part of a great tour.

My money's on Jonathan Elias.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    How about the guy under the stage during the 80's tours?
    Chris Elliot?

Since I consider the ABWH album a Yes album, I would make a case for Tony Levin being the 18th member. Somehow I don't think Squire would see it that way.

Since I consider the ABWH album a Yes album, I would make a case for Tony Levin being the 18th member. Somehow I don't think Squire would see it that way.
    No, likely not. I recall a story when Yes were rehearsing for... Union tour? Keys To Ascension shows? One of those, and they were rehearsing some old classic, "All Good People" or something and apparently Howe and Squire were arguing.... "Chris, that's how I always play it!" ...."Yeah, maybe in ABWH Steve!" ... that's an old memory so the quote will be slightly off but you get the gist. I wish I still had all my old Rockline interviews, those were hilarious with Yes, especially around the Union tour when they had two sets of four on two separate Rocklines.

I'm rambling, sorry. :P
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    If anyone is the 18th member, it would be Roger Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Eddie Jobson however was a member and is in the original Owner Of A Lonley Heart video during the rehearsal footage in the beginning. Jobson makes the 18th member regardless of his stay being less than a month.
    Jobson himself states that he was an official member of Yes. I don't know if that's who Squire would be thinking of here.

Whoever keeps up on the Wikipedia entry for Yes lists drummer Tony O'Reilly as a member - he played drums for them for a couple months in 1968.

Not the most flattering photo of him, either.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Banned
    I've read that RS Article before. That ground has already been walked upon. I liked to know if Yes have started to record. I want to hear the angelic voice of Jon Davison to come out of my speakers. Btw, I know someone will change that to read Jon Anderson. Please don't; I'm not in the mood.

I still think it's Eddie Jobson. There was a promo pic in Kerrang! before 90125 was released. I wish I could find that actually. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ELpmmeT69cE

I still think it's Eddie Jobson. This was the promo pic in Kerrang! before 90125 was released. So, at that time,everyone who saw the pic had reason to believe that Eddie was in Yes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ELpmmeT69cE

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Did Jobson record anything? Did he tour? NO.
    I wouldn't be so sure. If I had to bet, I'd wager that you hear more Jobson than Kaye on 90125. Of course, most of it is Rabin, but I never had the impression that Kaye actually did much in Rabin's Yes.

And I don't get the whole "we're not playing the albums in order thing." I thought that was the whole point of these kind of tours?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure. If I had to bet, I'd wager that you hear more Jobson than Kaye on 90125. Of course, most of it is Rabin, but I never had the impression that Kaye actually did much in Rabin's Yes.

And I don't get the whole "we're not playing the albums in order thing." I thought that was the whole point of these kind of tours?
    Scott,perhaps it's because CTTE has the most difficult to perform factor and they want to get it out of the way before they get tired. These guys aren't kids any more except Jon,but he's like 37. Close To The Edge is a great opener. They played it on Masterworks 2000 first.