Thread: Question about groups

Question about groups

I usually check group threads by first going to "New Posts" and then clicking on "New Group Messages."

Two issues here:

1. Not really a big deal, but it would be easier if "New Group Messages" was available as a link on every screen, like "New Posts"

2. Why is it, when I go to New Group Messages, that I get a listing of threads in groups in which I'm not a member? It clutters up the screen, and you have to wade through all of these groups that don't hold any interest.

Of course, this isn't keeping me awake at night or anything - I was just wondering if this is how it's supposed to work.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Go to Settings and you'll see the Groups you are a member of and it will show (by being in bold) those with new posts.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Go to Settings and you'll see the Groups you are a member of and it will show (by being in bold) those with new posts.
    That doesn't always work... for ex, this morning there were some new messages on the NSFW group, but the "settings" didn't warn me
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Do you have that group subscribed?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Just being a member of the group is subscription, isn't it??

It works for the Scotch thread often and once in a while for NSFW once in a while...

I
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

You have to subscribe as well as join
    Ian

I'm one of the 212.

OK, I did.... but I can't figure out how it managed to warn me of new posts if I wasn't subscribe to it...

I don't think so.

For example, whenever I go to my "New Group Messages" screen, I see all of the group threads that have new comments since the last time I visited (just like the "New Posts" feature in the main forum), but I also see things for the Dr. Who and Soccer groups, which, being American, I have no interest.

So, I'm wondering if the "New Group Messages" just gives me new posts in the groups I'm subscribed to in addition to any public groups? And if there's a way to turn that second part off? It just clutters up the screen with all of this soccer crap.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Thats why I use Setting and subscribe to the Groups I'm in. Then when I go to Settings I see just the groups I'm subscribed to and and any ones with new posts are shown in bold.
    Ian

I'm one of the 212.

Thanks, Ian. I never knew about the Settings trick. I've got it all set up now with my groups and a few subcribed threads.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post
    Thanks, Ian. I never knew about the Settings trick. I've got it all set up now with my groups and a few subcribed threads.
    As soon as you post in a thread, you're subscribed to it and it (the thread) will appear in your settings (you can unsubs, if you wish)

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    As soon as you post in a thread, you're subscribed to it and it (the thread) will appear in your settings (you can unsubs, if you wish)
    Yeah, I auto subscribe to everything I post in. The Groups don't auto subscribe (I think)
    Ian

I'm one of the 212.

Yeah, I auto subscribe to everything I post in. The Groups don't auto subscribe (I think)

OK, I've subscribed to all three groups I'm registered in.... I got the Scotch thread notification, but I didn't get warned of the NSFW new post... Go figure...