Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jethro Tull's album A- should it be reconsidered?

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Actually Barlow had already left the band and formed his own band Tandoori Cassette (who just released a 7''). Evan didn't want to tour anymore as he was tired from that.
    Pegg was already chosen as the official replacement for Glascock as it was clear that he wont be able to tour anymore.

So only Palmer was really axed, but I think she had a lot of other plans already also at this time.
    Palmer also said that he (using his gender at the time) had problems in the band and nearly couldn't bring himself to leave home to get on a flight to start one of their tours, before his wife talked him into it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Actually Barlow had already left the band and formed his own band Tandoori Cassette (who just released a 7''). Evan didn't want to tour anymore as he was tired from that.
    Barlow left in '80. Tandoori Cassette's 7" of "Angel Talk" didn't happen till '82.

If I recall right, Barlow was rehearsing in 1980 with a band including David Allen from Carmen, but Barlow said Allen took their demos and tried to get his own deal. So that band split and Barlow formed Tandoori Cassette after that.

So I'm not really a huge Tull fan but after all of these years, decided to take a closer look at their stuff and got this album along with 4 others - I have to say I enjoy it! I imagine though this album rubbed a lot of prog fans the wrong way though, lol.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

There's quite a bit of information about the band members' movements and intentions prior to "A" that is new to me. It would seem that the reconfiguration was not what it appeared at the time with BB already moving on, JE wanting out of the tour grind and DP somewhat uncommitted. That perhaps might explain why IA was amenable to the repurposing of his solo album as Tull: if he already had MB and Peggy on board for the solo project and knew that Tull would require future replacements for drummer and keyboard player (also - some of the "A" material had been previously rehearsed by Tull [although that may have happened after "A" became a JT thing]) then switching it over to a band project (albeit at the prompting of the record company) seems like a reasonable path to take.
    There still remains the manner in which John Glascock ended his tenure. I understand that BB's opinion is that JG was not looked after properly considering the challenges that he, JG, was facing - medical and personal. From memory, in the book of the "A" reissue, IA expresses some regret about how it was handled but BB's point of view suggests that there is more to the story.
    I also wonder why Mark Craney was not retained as Tull's drummer - anyone know more about what occurred there?
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    I also wonder why Mark Craney was not retained as Tull's drummer - anyone know more about what occurred there?
    In one interview Craney said that he used his "A" earnings to buy a house in his hometown in the U.S. (Sioux Falls, SD? somewhere like that) and then got a letter from Ian saying he had decided Tull needed to have all band members living in England. (Of course, Ian didn't have the same policy when Doane Perry joined a few years later.)

I also read that Gerry Conway visited with Ian when the "A" tour played London and maybe somehow Ian got the idea that Conway was more what he wanted than Craney.

Dave Pegg recounts that Ian told him on the way home from the last gig of the A tour that Tull was not going to continue with that lineup, and asked if he wanted to stay knowing that.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Dave Pegg recounts that Ian told him on the way home from the last gig of the A tour that Tull was not going to continue with that lineup, and asked if he wanted to stay knowing that.
    From what I know of Jobson I think he wanted to be a solo artist and wasn't interested in a long term position in Tull, but I don't know of an obvious reason why Craney couldn't have stayed.

Craney was a Type 1 diabetic. It was difficult to manage it on the road.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Craney was a Type 1 diabetic. It was difficult to manage it on the road.
    Yes, he just should never have been a touring musician. I saw him in the audience at a Tull show in L.A. in 1987. He was in a wheelchair, being assisted by Doane Perry.

Craney did have health troubles, although before Tull he had toured with Jean Luc Ponty and Gino Vannelli. I read that he was also one of the drummers who auditioned to replace Vinnie Colaiuta on Frank Zappa's 1980 tour.

Should have always been considered, it's damn good

Have had this for over a month now and "crossfire" has grown on me a lot

I have the 25th Anni remaster with the Slipstream DVD.

I know I'm almost certainly in the minority but I think Tull peaked with this line-up hands down. Then again I love anything that Eddie Jobson has been involved in so I would say that.

Check this out. Martin enjoying himself here:

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Check this out. Martin enjoying himself here:
    Good piece, reminds me of Rush. Martin's musical style could be more up to date for the era than Ian's.

I revisited "A" this year. I was pleasantly surprised. This time, I listened to"A" without measuring it against Tull's 70s classics.

A is awesome. How I wish that band would've recorded at least Broadsword and one more. The A tour was brilliant too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    The A tour was brilliant too.
    Well, apart from the stage costumes.

^ I didn't mind 'em.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I didn't mind 'em.
    You might not have read Ian's reminiscences of them in one of the early boxed sets - just about Martin looking a bit roly-poly in one. He might have said Martin wasn't crazy about it, but I can't remember for sure. But, I don't mind them either!

4 Wheel Drive.......

........Low Ratio.....

Probably the one track I can barely listen to. Over all I really dig A.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You might not have read Ian's reminiscences of them in one of the early boxed sets - just about Martin looking a bit roly-poly in one. He might have said Martin wasn't crazy about it, but I can't remember for sure. But, I don't mind them either!
    I remember the David Rees book opined that Martin looked out of place and that it may have led to his taking up long distance running to lose weight later in the 80's.