Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Frankensnow!

Huge problem of broken pipes all throughout the Pittsburgh area including two of my neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Huge problem of broken pipes all throughout the Pittsburgh area including two of my neighbors.
    That's becoming more of a problem in our Phoenix summers. Our aging water infrastructure can no longer handle the heat. Water mains are breaking all over the place. Flooding out and closing major roads and intersections. Just this past summer, a water main broke directly beneath the US-60 freeway in Tempe. Commuters had to find another way to work. They wound up having to repave that section of freeway with concrete. Which takes longer to set than asphalt.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    This is probably a stupid question but why is that? Are you talking about city infrastructure or individual homeowners? Was this due to power outages?
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    This is probably a stupid question but why is that? Are you talking about city infrastructure or individual homeowners? Was this due to power outages?
    Seems like these are individuals, but 100-plus-year-old public systems have been a problem in Pittsburgh.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Seems like these are individuals, but 100-plus-year-old public systems have been a problem in Pittsburgh.
    Thanks, Ron. In my little town it seems like they installed water and sewer 100 years ago and then left it untouched until everything started to fall apart over the last few years. Then it was a huge project that the state forced them to carry out. I wonder if any cities actually have planned upgrades/maintenance or just wait until it's an emergency.
    <sig out of order>

Thanks, Ron. In my little town it seems like they installed water and sewer 100 years ago and then left it untouched until everything started to fall apart over the last few years. Then it was a huge project that the state forced them to carry out. I wonder if any cities actually have planned upgrades/maintenance or just wait until it's an emergency.
    My town is very proactive when it comes to the water supply. We are paying a R&R fee monthly to renew the whole system over a decade. We've never had an outage in the 29 years I've lived here.....nor a boil-water notice. The flush-out main is right in front of my house. Twice a year they open it up to flush out sediment & minerals. We vote in our water commissioners (3) and they are independent from the city council and Mayor. Many times the council has tried to take over the water Dept......I do not know how the water dept survives these takeovers......other than sending out these attempts in the quarterly newsletter and residents pressure the council to back off? Even with the R&R fee, we still have the cheapest water in the region.... our population is around 87,000.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Greed is usually the main reason. They couldn't care less about the lead in those old systems. That is, until it's their grandchildren who get poisoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    My town is very proactive when it comes to the water supply. We are paying a R&R fee monthly to renew the whole system over a decade. We've never had an outage in the 29 years I've lived here.....nor a boil-water notice. The flush-out main is right in front of my house. Twice a year they open it up to flush out sediment & minerals. We vote in our water commissioners (3) and they are independent from the city council and Mayor. Many times the council has tried to take over the water Dept......I do not know how the water dept survives these takeovers......other than sending out these attempts in the quarterly newsletter and residents pressure the council to back off? Even with the R&R fee, we still have the cheapest water in the region.... our population is around 87,000.
    Keep fighting. No doubt, the local council is looking to privatize it to their buddies and donors. Utilities should NEVER be privatized. Once again, greed.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

That's awesome and sounds like a good model that should be the standard everywhere.

Greed is usually the main reason. They couldn't care less about the lead in those old systems. That is, until it's their grandchildren who get poisoned.
    I don't think any part of our system had lead in it, but I could be wrong. I know in my little neighborhood there is a lot of old galvanized pipe. This stuff is "only" about 45 years old, but it's falling apart. My neighbors lost pressure a few years ago and had to replace their portion and they said it looked like Swiss cheese. It's just a matter of time for the rest of us. But there is much more chicanery involved in my neighborhood water and sewer systems that I won't bore y'all with.
    <sig out of order>

I don't think any part of our system had lead in it, but I could be wrong. I know in my little neighborhood there is a lot of old galvanized pipe. This stuff is "only" about 45 years old, but it's falling apart. My neighbors lost pressure a few years ago and had to replace their portion and they said it looked like Swiss cheese. It's just a matter of time for the rest of us. But there is much more chicanery involved in my neighborhood water and sewer systems that I won't bore y'all with.
    Just to be clear. I'm referring to the infrastructure, not the individual homes. I'm not suggesting you misunderstood me, though. Many of the urban communities have very old systems.

Just to be clear. I'm referring to the infrastructure, not the individual homes. I'm not suggesting you misunderstood me, though. Many of the urban communities have very old systems.
    Right, I knew you meant the infrastructure - it was I that diverged into individual homes.
    <sig out of order>

One reason for our Good water system is the Water Department was established decades before the city incorporated. Lots of shenanigans in 1993-96 when we sometimes had 2 elections / per year for incorporation. They eventually won and a whole slew of bureaucrats created a multi-million dollar city hall and a state of the art police station. Started naming schools after themselves. They slapped a city tax on all utilities and have been trying to take over the water department. I see no real improvement in the last 27 years that the county already didn't provide.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

One reason for our Good water system is the Water Department was established decades before the city incorporated. Lots of shenanigans in 1993-96 when we sometimes had 2 elections / per year for incorporation. They eventually won and a whole slew of bureaucrats created a multi-million dollar city hall and a state of the art police station. Started naming schools after themselves. They slapped a city tax on all utilities and have been trying to take over the water department. I see no real improvement in the last 27 years that the county already didn't provide.
    Hell, there are still people who oppose fluoride treatments, despite the wealth of evidence showing the clear benefits.

Hell, there are still people who oppose fluoride treatments, despite the wealth of evidence showing the clear benefits.
    That was the source of conspiracy theories in the 1960s. Which I won't go into here, so as to not violate the "no politics" rule. Suffice it to say: the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    That was the source of conspiracy theories in the 1960s. Which I won't go into here, so as to not violate the "no politics" rule. Suffice it to say: the more things change, the more they stay the same.
    ^^ That's certainly not politics. I realize you know that.

Baltimore's is so bad that every winter I couldn't tell you how many water main breaks we have.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

It was almost 80 degrees here Thursday and in the 20's today with snow.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Here in Southwest Michigan there are still many many people without power from the Ice Storm last Thursday. We got very lucky. We lost Internet and Cable for 3 days, but our power stayed on with the exception of an outage this afternoon. A mile to the north and a mile to the south are still without power and for some it will be Monday or Tuesday before it is restored.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Here in Southwest Michigan there are still many many people without power from the Ice Storm last Thursday. We got very lucky. We lost Internet and Cable for 3 days, but our power stayed on with the exception of an outage this afternoon. A mile to the north and a mile to the south are still without power and for some it will be Monday or Tuesday before it is restored.
    That sucks. I'm glad you weren't badly affected. We had a really bad ice storm back in 2013 and I still freak out every time there is a possibility of freezing rain in the forecast. I have a routine of ensuring that we have non-perishable food, I hard boil all our eggs, and I have several portable chargers that I make sure are fully charged so we can keep our phones charged. My husband thinks I'm a little over the top, but if it happens to us again, I will be more prepared.

Also, I'm waiting for our stove to die so I can replace it with a gas range.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Look in the sky this afternoon; I’m going to make something happen — something wonderful!

^^ Assuming the frankenclouds don't obscure the view.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Look in the sky this afternoon; I’m going to make something happen — something wonderful!
    Copycat! Jed is stealing from me. It's all me. It will be my doing, not his!

Its Full Of Stars!

You made it cloudy? Next time, do better.