Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storm Corrosion

Storm Corrosion

Pulled this out last night and it's been a while since I've played it. I still find it beautiful in an eerie sort of way. At the time I remember being impressed because I wasn't listening to anything like it. Sort of fits the season. After a few years, how does everyone feel about it now?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Slow and same-y, is my most recent recollection. But it's been a while, maybe worth updating that impression.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Still love it. This is one of my favorite Wilson related tracks.

Drag Ropes is still my favorite. Very haunting, and that bridge with the orchestration is just beautiful.

I really dig it. If was VERY honest, I think they could take this idea further in terms of orchestration and perhaps greater dissonance, but it's quite good as is.

I still quite like it, although some of it remains painfully derivative of various aspects of Toby Driver's work with Kayo Dot - give or take the allegedly shared influence (Scott Walker from Tilt and on, Michael Gira, Comus, Simon Finn, Mark Hollis etc.). Way less adventurous and challenging, though. But altogether it's one of few current Wilson inputs I find myself taken with, and I'm not much of a fan of recent Opeth either.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I own it but can't remember a single note. I'll fix that and replay it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I really dig it. If was VERY honest, I think they could take this idea further in terms of orchestration and perhaps greater dissonance, but it's quite good as is.
    Agreed. This was certainly an idea I could have stayed with. Wonder why no followup?

I like it more than I play it if you see what I mean. I way lucky enough to see Akerfeldt perfom Drag Ropes with SW at the Royal Albert Hall 2 years ago which was quite surreal. I must play this album more!

I still like it a lot. This thread reminded me I haven't put it on in a while. I love the cover art. I do wish they would expand on this and take it further with another album..........

Yeah, but that's true of just about any album, isn't it?

It's one of my favourite albums.

I put my thoughts together on a blog review a wee while back:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....orrosion-2012/

“ljudet innan” – especially the layered vocals at the end – is one of the most beautiful things i know.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    “ljudet innan” – especially the layered vocals at the end – is one of the most beautiful things i know.
    It's an incredible track. I love the whole record...and this whole era from SW, including Grace For Drowning.

Matt.

I will say this: the originality factor on this album exceeds what they have done with both of their "day job" bands on the last few albums (save for maybe Raven). More of this, but different of course, would be welcome.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

the originality factor on this album exceeds what they have done
    But this isn't welcome. If we allow for too much "originality" (which is totally overrated anyway), next there'll be praise for idiosyncracy. And then we're on the wrong path altogether, towars bonafide eccentricity. Which may result in musc coming out as strange, alien and difficult. We want conventional and normal music, like "We Have Heaven" and that "[...] Kill them with your hogweed hairs" potato-packed throatvoice of Putzi Gabe.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    But this isn't welcome. If we allow for too much "originality" (which is totally overrated anyway), next there'll be praise for idiosyncracy. And then we're on the wrong path altogether, towars bonafide eccentricity. Which may result in musc coming out as strange, alien and difficult. We want conventional and normal music, like "We Have Heaven" and that "[...] Kill them with your hogweed hairs" potato-packed throatvoice of Putzi Gabe.
    I was gonna write this but my fingers broke just I was about to.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Gave this one another try and couldn't get through it...

The excitement to get a disc with these two was great but the result was boring...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Tension View Post
    Gave this one another try and couldn't get through it...

The excitement to get a disc with these two was great but the result was boring...
    Bad LT. And as a matter of fact, I've been revisiting the LT albums proper. They still hold up for me.

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the movie, The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, but I would be grateful for more of that opening piano theme. Suggestions please.

I was gonna write this but my fingers broke just I was about to.
    Every time Scrotum appears I'm reminded of this movie...

I keep expecting Carla Bruni to pop up and say, "Oh -- the didactic one."
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Pulled this out last night and it's been a while since I've played it. I still find it beautiful in an eerie sort of way. At the time I remember being impressed because I wasn't listening to anything like it. Sort of fits the season. After a few years, how does everyone feel about it now?
    Yes, very beautiful and eerie, and haunting. Still one of my late night favourites, just a great, atmospheric vibe. I so wish that there will be another. SW was asked about this during one of his online chats, where he answers fan questions (I may have even suggested the question, lol), and he gave the standard 'you never know', 'anything is possible', 'busy schedules' type of answer.

neil

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Great album, reminds me of Landberk in places. One of the few Steven Wilson related albums I do like.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I still quite like it, although some of it remains painfully derivative of various aspects of Toby Driver's work with Kayo Dot - give or take the allegedly shared influence (Scott Walker from Tilt and on, Michael Gira, Comus, Simon Finn, Mark Hollis etc.). Way less adventurous and challenging, though. But altogether it's one of few current Wilson inputs I find myself taken with, and I'm not much of a fan of recent Opeth either.

Not much of a Wilson fan either, but I do like this one. Though it's probably been close to a year since I've listened to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Not much of a Wilson fan either, but I do like this one.
    You'd likely want to attempt a listen to Blue Lambency Downward by Kayo Dot - if you haven't already heard it.