Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: JETHRO TULL - Heavy Horses "New Shoes Edition" February 9th 2018

Mine is on its way...

On DVD 2 Item #48: Is the MSG video the same one from the "Live at Madison Square garden 1978" (CD/DVD combo released Oct 2009)?

There was dissatisfaction among fans regarding the DVD length that had been shortened to barley 5 1/2 songs but it was due to the limited satellite engagement time slot.

I remember having seen the Bursting Out Tour at the LA Forum in November 1978 when Uriah Heep opened, both bands were Fantastic and I'll be seeing Heep after 40 years in a few weeks in Texas!
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Finally got my copy from Amazon, while I don't have any clouding issues with the dvd's my DVD2 is cursed with three separate scuff marks. Playing through now and everything seems ok, but it doesn't look pretty.

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    Finally got my copy from Amazon, while I don't have any clouding issues with the dvd's my DVD2 is cursed with three separate scuff marks. Playing through now and everything seems ok, but it doesn't look pretty.
    I think the clouding and the scuffing is just 2 different ways to describe the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I think the clouding and the scuffing is just 2 different ways to describe the same thing.
    Scuffing is warmer.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Mine is on its way...

On DVD 2 Item #48: Is the MSG video the same one from the "Live at Madison Square garden 1978" (CD/DVD combo released Oct 2009)?
    The 'MSG Video' is merely an advertisement for the concert.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Scuffing is warmer.
    LOL

Bit of irony here.

I decided to listen to the dvd with the Berne gig, and as I slid it out of the holder I noticed several scuff marks. Gave them a wipe, to no avail, and decided to pop the disc into the player anyway.

Then as I was getting bored watching the same stills rotate onscreen, I happened to browse on here and what pops up? Yup, several posts about the scuffed dvd!

Well, the good news is that it doesn't appear to affect the disc. I played it on the stereo track and it played fine from start to finish, and even toggling between the 5.1 and DTS layers didn't seem to faze it. So you should be good to go.

The bad news is that I'm not sure I'll enjoy Bursting Out in the same way again. I actually prefer its sound mix to the New Shoes edition, but once you hear the latter you realise just how much was edited out of Bursting Out, whether it be whole songs or bits of songs.

Bursting Out was one of those special albums for me, alongside Seconds Out and Made In Japan, but now it feels like a short-changed compromise in comparison to the Berne set.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    The bad news is that I'm not sure I'll enjoy Bursting Out in the same way again. I actually prefer its sound mix to the New Shoes edition, but once you hear the latter you realise just how much was edited out of Bursting Out, whether it be whole songs or bits of songs.

Bursting Out was one of those special albums for me, alongside Seconds Out and Made In Japan, but now it feels like a short-changed compromise in comparison to the Berne set.
    I'm in the same boat. I love Bursting Out but I know I will be reaching for the Berne set to enjoy a more "live" experience of the music.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I always thought it was strange that Bursting Out omitted "Heavy Horses," which seemed like it would have been a high point of the set. I can only guess that with the live album coming out only months after Heavy Horses, they didn't want to repeat too much of the same material. They obviously couldn't ditch the set-opening "No Lullaby," and "One Brown Mouse" must have made the cut because it's short. The album is fairly long as it is; they would have had to eliminate more than just "One Brown Mouse" to make room for "Heavy Horses"...or else cut over-long vinyl sides that would have sounded weedier than they already did. Still, I think losing that song really lessens the effectiveness of the set.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Re: "Bursting Out," don't forget that "Quatrain," "Sweet Dream" and "Conundrum" were omitted from the original one-disc CD.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Re: "Bursting Out," don't forget that "Quatrain," "Sweet Dream" and "Conundrum" were omitted from the original one-disc CD.
    IIRC the first double-CD version reinstated those tracks, but rather than going back to the original tapes, they obviously did it by splicing the missing tracks back into the edited version...and they fucked up the track order, so "Quatrain," which ends with the "Aqualung" riff, was followed by applause instead of by the rest of "Aqualung."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by bennymania View Post
    The 'MSG Video' is merely an advertisement for the concert.
    Oh, OK. Thanks for the clarification.

I suspected something like that, it would not have made sense to duplicate it although if the whole concert would have been included, the disc capacity would have run out of space.

Never have I own this album, so this new edition really is a new experience for me, and I'm, quite honestly, enjoying it more than any other Tull album. I'm not exactly sure why. I'll try to process it and explain it at some point, but I'm poor with my words at such moments.

But I can say that, after having read the book that comes with the new edition , I can't get Anderson's comment about the Beefheart influence on "The Mouse Police" out of my head. I wish I knew how to put Van Vliet's vox on top of the Tull track because I'm pretty sure it would fit.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Awesome man!