Page 94 of 96 FirstFirst ... 448490919293949596 LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,350 of 2384

Thread: MLB 2018

^^^

Yes, I'd be happy with Robertson & Kelly. Kimbrel is going to be too expensive for too long (irrespective of whether or not one should read anything into his postseason struggles!).

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    ^^^

Yes, I'd be happy with Robertson & Kelly. Kimbrel is going to be too expensive for too long (irrespective of whether or not one should read anything into his postseason struggles!).
    His started getting shaky a while before the postseason, IIRC. He never reached the heart attack closer point, but he wasn't slamming the door like he was previously.

I wouldn't mind them keeping Robertson & Britton. If I had to choose one, it would be Robertson.

I agree that Chapman will not panic. They really only need one more big piece in a starter and would not be surprised if they signed Happ to a three-year deal.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The Hall of Very Good Players just added Harold Baines and Lee Smith via the "Lets ignore the Sportswriters Vote Special Election"

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    The Hall of Very Good Players just added Harold Baines and Lee Smith via the "Lets ignore the Sportswriters Vote Special Election"
    They also snubbed George Steinbrenner. Love him or hate him, he should be in.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'd have to look at the numbers, but I'm okay with Smith (I think). The Baines selection made me do a double-take.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'd have to look at the numbers, but I'm okay with Smith (I think). The Baines selection made me do a double-take.
    Almost 2900 hits. Almost 400 HRs. Almost a HOFer.

A story I saw in one of the Chicago papers was about how surprised Baines himself was to be elected in. He had barely gotten the minimum percentage on the writers ballots for 4-5 years. And on this rather small vet committee I understand was LaRussa, who managed Baines, the White Sox owner and maybe also the former WS GM.
    Don't get me wrong, I think Baines was a heckuva steady consistent hitter that had a nice long career. I remember having him on my Rotisserie Baseball team in the 80s when we did the weekly rankings by hand using USA Today--he was as steady as they come. But if you look at his BR page, it's virtually completely devoid of any black ink--he never led the league in anything. He never finished in the top 5 in his league in MVP voting--I think he had a 9th and a 10th place finish. And he was never a key player for a championship winner. A very good hitter, but just not a HOFer.
    And don't get me started on closers. Lee Smith had some good years as a Cardinal (and a Cub of course), but I never thought of him as a truly extraordinary impact player. But he did accumulate a lot of saves....

It was my understanding that this veteran committee is supposed to correct the egregious oversights of the players the writers let slip through the cracks, or who got ridiculously overlooked because of too crowded ballots (see ie Jim Edmonds, on ballot for one year).
    If they want to correct an oversight, how about electing Ted Simmons, a great switch hitting catcher who had the misfortune of paralleling Bench's career. His career hitting stats are up there with the top catchers.

If guys like Baines get in, you'd have to think guys like Mattingly and Dale Murphy can't be far behind for second chances.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-11-2018 at 09:24 PM.

The latest on Joe Maddon--he's reading "Managing Millennials for Dummies" to better understand the youngins. I can't find an eye roll emoji big enough...

I guess he's done with "Fun Clown Tricks for Backyard Parties" and "My Favorite Petting Zoos".
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-12-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Cutch to the Phils. I like the signing for them and for him, but it was a bit rich imo, I was a little surprised.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

If guys like Baines get in, you'd have to think guys like Mattingly and Dale Murphy can't be far behind for second chances.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Cutch to the Phils. I like the signing for them and for him, but it was a bit rich imo, I was a little surprised.
    Many of us were. I don't get it, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Yep - I was, too.

Look like the Yanks are getting J.A. Happ. After missing out on Corbin, I really wanted Happ.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Look like the Yanks are getting J.A. Happ. After missing out on Corbin, I really wanted Happ.
    I'm happy (no pun intended) with that. He was stellar during his stint this year. They were hesitating to sign him for three years (he's 36), but it looks like that's where this is heading.

They also have made it clear that they are not interested in Harper, which is okay with me. Now, if they can only come to the same conclusion with Machado.

I'm happy (no pun intended) with that. He was stellar during his stint this year. They were hesitating to sign him for three years (he's 36), but it looks like that's where this is heading.

They also have made it clear that they are not interested in Harper, which is okay with me. Now, if they can only come to the same conclusion with Machado.
    Yeah, apparently the Phillies wouldn't go above 2 year. It's a solid signing, and the Yanks can always offload if needed.

The funny thing about the Winter Meetings thus far is it's been mostly FA deals that have occurred (and not a whole lot of them). I'm still waiting for the first significant trade.

I'm still waiting for the first significant trade.
    ?!
    Paul Goldschmidt, one of the 3-5 best hitters and overall players in the NL, wasn't significant?

Yeah, apparently the Phillies wouldn't go above 2 year. It's a solid signing, and the Yanks can always offload if needed.
    They haven't signed him yet.

?!
    Paul Goldschmidt, one of the 3-5 best hitters and overall players in the NL, wasn't significant?
    Maybe if he went to a significant team.

The Cano deal was pretty significant.

The funny thing about the Winter Meetings thus far is it's been mostly FA deals that have occurred (and not a whole lot of them). I'm still waiting for the first significant trade.
    I repeat, from the Winter Meetings.

I saw that Marlins Man was hanging around behind the MLB TV crew, positioning himself to be in the picture. My god, didn't his 15 minutes run out long ago?

I repeat, from the Winter Meetings.
    But, it's not even Winter yet.

On a personal note, my girlfriend's son is at the Winter Meetings trying to get a job in the operations department of a team. Any team. He's spent the last two years as a video scout (charting defensive alignments, charting pitches, etc. - very high-level stuff that the average fan doesn't even think about) with an analytics company. So far, he's had interviews with the Phillies, Dodgers, Twins, Cubs, Marlins and Angels. Fingers crossed that he finally takes this next step in his career. He's a good kid.

On a personal note, my girlfriend's son is at the Winter Meetings trying to get a job in the operations department of a team. Any team. He's spent the last two years as a video scout (charting defensive alignments, charting pitches, etc. - very high-level stuff that the average fan doesn't even think about) with an analytics company. So far, he's had interviews with the Phillies, Dodgers, Twins, Cubs, Marlins and Angels. Fingers crossed that he finally takes this next step in his career. He's a good kid.
    Interesting story. I didn't realize that it's also an open call for staff positions like that. Is it word of mouth and this is all "gumption" on the part of the kid or are many of these teams actively shopping for staff?

They haven't signed him yet.
    Looks like it's done now? I like the deal. I thought 3 years was too much, but the 2 year and 3rd year vesting option is pretty solid. 17m is a bit of a premium for his age, but the Yanks are pros at offloading what doesn't work for them (Sonny Gray, looking at you).

Very cool!

Looks like it's done now? I like the deal. I thought 3 years was too much, but the 2 year and 3rd year vesting option is pretty solid. 17m is a bit of a premium for his age, but the Yanks are pros at offloading what doesn't work for them (Sonny Gray, looking at you).
    Yep, I just read that. I thought $17MM was a bit rich, but it is what it is. I wish they could offload Ellsbury. That fucking albatross was a total bust from day 1, which, I might add, was easy to predict at the time.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Reports: Reliever Joe Kelly signs $25M deal with Dodgers after winning World Series with Red Sox
    Yahoo
    USA Today

Reliever Joe Kelly reaches an agreement with LA Dodgers, reports say
    Boston.com

MLB Rumors: Joe Kelly, Dodgers Agree To Three-Year Contract
    NESN.com

Joe Kelly Reportedly Agrees To 3-Year, $25M Deal With Los Angeles Dodgers
    CBS Boston - CBS Local
    Oh, well.