Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rundgren - A Wizard, A True Star(SACD Release)

If all you do is listen to the the regular CD layer, it simply won't sound a lot better. I would like to hear from someone with a proper SACD player and a decent system review the SACD layer.

Well I’m no expert, but I listened to the SACD of AWATS last night on a Panasonic player and it sounded really good. On many tracks I was able to hear things I hadn’t ever noticed before. It’s definitely worth the money IMO. It was never my favorite Todd record, but this is causing me to reevaluate it quite a bit more favorably now.

Of course, there are still some parts that can only be improved by remixing the audio tracks. The drums still don’t sound great on some songs. But it’s an immersive experience overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    If all you do is listen to the the regular CD layer, it simply won't sound a lot better. I would like to hear from someone with a proper SACD player and a decent system review the SACD layer.
    I've had it and S/A for a bit now but for a bunch have reasons have not spun. I'll try to do so this week and weigh in on the SACD sonics.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Well I’m no expert, but I listened to the SACD of AWATS last night on a Panasonic player and it sounded really good. On many tracks I was able to hear things I hadn’t ever noticed before. It’s definitely worth the money IMO. It was never my favorite Todd record, but this is causing me to reevaluate it quite a bit more favorably now.

Of course, there are still some parts that can only be improved by remixing the audio tracks. The drums still don’t sound great on some songs. But it’s an immersive experience overall.
    The drums will never sound great on AWATS because they were not recorded well. They probably were mostly dead skins as well. In some parts, they sound like cardboard.

Todd's '70s work all has a fairly lo-fi quality to it, so I've never been inclined to spend a ton of money looking for the best sound. I still enjoy the heck out of his work.