Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: Cuneiform amazing weekend deals on bandcamp

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    I'm in ... great!

"A wonderful trio [whose] compositions are highly rhythmic and playful, full of both surprises and logical thematic development."
    – C.M.J.
    Edit:
    I reviewed my collection and yes, I have another good Volapuk’s album: "Polyglot" (2000)
    👌🏼👍🏼

Well Gang, another year that is about to end ... Pyroclastics
    by Birdsongs of the Mesozoic is the last one for this 2023 and a great one, go for it!

Happy New Year!
    Cheers!!

"With Pyroclastics, Birdsongs of the Mesozoic returned somewhat to its roots. Its signature sound -- pulsing keyboards, jagged harmonies, weird time signatures, slash-and-burn guitar - is back stronger than eve ... "

"Pyroclastics definitely marks a step forward for this band, but it remains rooted in its old strengths. Recommended."

– AllMusic
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

FYI Friends:

From Uncle Steve:

HEY! Before we go any further!
    We started $5 Friday in mid 2017 and since then, we've put hundreds and hundreds of titles on sale.
    BUT:
    We're starting to run out of titles that have not yet been featured.

So we want to give you a little warning that we will be taking a break from $5 Friday starting sometime in 2024. [But please enjoy it while it lasts!]
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

2024!
    Here we go Gang with another good one by some unique and great musicians ... I need more "Orchids" around here!

"Dense and complex...haunted sonic cinematography and elliptical poetry."
    - Time Out NY
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

I am really diggin that Time of Orchids album. Unknown band for me but they really have their own thing going.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yeah they were a great discovery when I finally got that.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

I saw them twice very towards the end, and am extremely happy that I was able to do so.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"the masses have spoken, and this has appropriately vanished into the great Prog boner pile in the sky."

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I am really diggin that Time of Orchids album. Unknown band for me but they really have their own thing going.
    They were one of the most musically unique combos of their day, and to -me- quite possibly the very "final" progressive rock group of full note - as in notably dedicated to principles and variations on the virtues of development and/or evolution as a main asset of force and definition. ToO were all about attempts, all about exploration of free fittings of ideas, give or take appeals.

Granted they didn't always succeed in conveying this asset as a totally convincing outcome of "organic authenticity" et al. - and there are times when some of their stuff appears somewhat tendentious, stiff or even contrived in its search for the ultimate expression of contrarian nobleness (such as on their third release, Early As Seen In Pace) - but when they did succeed there was simply nothing else even remotely like it. They actually sounded spontaneously virtuoso yet mechanically amateurish all at once; Henry Cow with The Shaggs.

More specifically, ToO morphed The Beach Boys' sunny zaney with the goof of Beefheart's soul as interpreted by them alone, passing gates half open to Yes or KCrims along the way and drilling holemarks set by post/art-punk confessions accordingly (The Pop Group, Nomeanso, Shudder To Think etc.). There are times when the level of formal intricacy and carefully arranged dissonance goes so beyond the stage of apparent unlikeliness that you get to comprehend how perfection isn't necessarily a token of performance or execution but of mere creativity; to even touch upon notions and whims as strangely coherent as in a track like "Parade of Seasons", for instance - this is nowhere from any book of tonal theory and all a case of thoughts and ideas.

Their overall and general concept, I think, was to turn essential logics upside down by identifying their extreme opposites and applying these to almost each and every detail available for realization. Consequently, enjoyment of their raw visions in trickiness and discipline needs for ToO's music to stand alone - you won't dig them by demanding any rules of their music except for that of defiance.

Much Too Much Fun, Sarcast While and especially Namesake Caution are all fantastic records that I wouldn't be without no matter what.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Hello Gang!
    First spin ... great!

"The emotional range of the music on Bladek is enormous, and includes poignant solo work, both lyrical and raucous dialogues between group members, broad blues swagger, and some powerhouse collective free blowing which recapitulates the best of the late, expanded Coltrane groups."
    – Bill Tilland/All Music Guide
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

2024!
    Here we go Gang with another good one by some unique and great musicians ... I need more "Orchids" around here!

"Dense and complex...haunted sonic cinematography and elliptical poetry."
    - Time Out NY

“This post is in remembrance of Chuck Stern, who died on December 10”
    https://www.brooklynvegan.com/chuck-...s-passed-away/

Rest in Peace!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Gang,
    I have to ... great!

"The band have referred to themselves as 'majestic junk folk' and that's a pretty funny but not inaccurate description for a band who blend folk music and experimental music together in a unique way."
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Just posted on the Bandcamp Friday thread that Cuneiform are having a sale on Friday with 15% everything off so have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Just posted on the Bandcamp Friday thread that Cuneiform are having a sale on Friday with 15% everything off so have at it.
    They ARE having a sale but

It only runs from 8:00 am to 9:00 pm, e.s.t. AND you MUST use the code GROUNDHOG

Signed

a secret insider
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"the masses have spoken, and this has appropriately vanished into the great Prog boner pile in the sky."

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

All part of your cunning plan for world domination.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Rob Mazurek and Black Cube SP - Return the Tides: Ascension Suite & Holy Ghost
    Curlew - Mercury
    Antistatic - Relics
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

“This post is in remembrance of Chuck Stern, who died on December 10”
    https://www.brooklynvegan.com/chuck-...s-passed-away/

Rest in Peace!
    I didn't know.

Granted (the band) Stern never appealed to me anywhere near the extent of ToO, the man was clearly a creative fit and wit totally beyond the brake. Come tomorrow I'll spin old ToO's for the first time in a good while.

Too young. Grace over.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM