Several times I have had several strong 'moments in time" musical memories. Hearing "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag" by James Brown in an old 58 Chevy. First day of school, hearing "Yesterday" over the school PA speaker. Watching the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour and hearing "Gentle On My Mind" for the first time. One of the few times I got stoned with a friend and hearing "Speak To Me/Breathe/On The Run" for the first time on WRAS. My older brother's 16th birthday, upon receiving Trilogy for a present, immediately puts it on the turntable and cues up "Hoedown", playing air keyboards in delight. While I had heard "Lucky Man" before this, I had no idea ELP rocked like this. This was what prompted me to buy my own copy of this, as my brother wouldn't let me touch his records. Listening to WRAS for much of the 70s, turned me onto a lot of great Classic Prog.
Scariest musical moment ever- tripping on LSD at a Black Oak Arkansas show. Very dumb idea. Coolest concert ever- Todd Rundgren's Utopia at the Fox Theater when Utopia Theme was recorded. Amazing show, just sad I had to leave early. First concert date- took Kelly (my wife now) to see George Winston at Symphony Hall. Music From The Hearts of Space in the 80s had some incredibly beautiful programs. I bought a cassette deck specifically to record these programs. Playing acoustic and classical guitar in my bedroom starting in high school really helped me cope with a lot of disappointment during this time.
Doing various radio shows at WVGS at GA Southern was a lot of fun. One particular segue that I was proud of was Boston's "Foreplay" organ fade just before "Long Time" into the guitar solo and outro from "Utopia Theme". I did this with Technics SP-10s. I had to avoid jumping up and down with excitement because they weren't well isolated.
I've seen a number of awesome guitarists over the years- Michael Hedges, Phil Keaggy (13 times!), Steve Howe (TFTO, Relayer) and Eric Clapton on the 461 Ocean Blvd tour. His solo on "Badge" was absolutely jaw-dropping. Of course, Ive seen Phil play some stuff I simply couldn't believe.
My favorite recording remains "The Mission" from the DVD Morricone Conducts Morricone. It rarely fails to bring tears to my eyes and chills up my spine.
One other event I almost forgot, a live large scale production of Handel's Messiah (Christmas portions) complete with harpsichord.