Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Bruford - One of a Kind

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    If only Sancious would have the chance to release this the way he wants it. That Tachika-CD is nice, but...well, you know what I mean.
    Forget the Toocheeky version, mine blows it away and it's free to anyone who has something on my want list to trade

http://www.mediafire.com/?38h4djo99ekln
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 03-24-2018 at 01:53 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I always thought The Fents' "First Offense" was in the Bruford-vein.

A more recent album that comes to mind is "Timequake" by Ronny Heimdal: https://ronnyheimdal.bandcamp.com/album/timequake
    Thanks for this, the Fents albums is incredible.

If you like Bruford you might want to check out the two he did with Kazumi Watanabi called the spice of life 1 and 2. Not sure if I spelled Watanabi right or not but they also feature Jeff Berlin on bass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    One's that come close to me that are similar in approach/sound/style..,

Brand X - Masques
    Dixie Dregs - What If
    Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
    Happy the Man - s/t
    Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean
    and the two National Health albums
    Just ordered the first National Health album, not so keen on the 2nd. Also really like the Happy The Man album and listening now to Jean Luc Ponty.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    If you like Bruford you might want to check out the two he did with Kazumi Watanabi called the spice of life 1 and 2. Not sure if I spelled Watanabi right or not but they also feature Jeff Berlin on bass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's Watanabe and you're right, those albums are well worth checking out. Because of the electronic drum-set Bruford used these CD's fit nicely between his Bruford-releases and the first Earthworks. And for the lucky ones: The Spice Of Life In Concert, the DVD Watanabe, Berlin and Bruford made, is a real bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Just ordered the first National Health album, not so keen on the 2nd. Also really like the Happy The Man album and listening now to Jean Luc Ponty.
    I always thought the second Happy The Man album, Crafty Hands, is more in the jazz-rock vein than the first one.

For me it's about as perfect as any album I can think of!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    For me it's about as perfect as any album I can think of!
    Crafty Hands?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Crafty Hands?
    I'm pretty sure he means One of a Kind but I'd let him answer to that. On the other hand Crafty Hands is also excellent.

I'm pretty sure he means One of a Kind but I'd let him answer to that.
    Yep, OoaK.

I'm pretty sure he means One of a Kind but I'd let him answer to that. On the other hand Crafty Hands is also excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Yep, OoaK.
    Ack! I should have realized that...

But I totally agree, OoaK is about as perfect as they come.

Still haven't heard Crafty Hands, but I keep meaning to get around to that...

Another Jazz Rock style Prog album that I actually would probably replace Birds of Fire with in my 'desert island' reccos above is
    The Eleventh House - Introducing
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

It's Watanabe and you're right, those albums are well worth checking out. Because of the electronic drum-set Bruford used these CD's fit nicely between his Bruford-releases and the first Earthworks. And for the lucky ones: The Spice Of Life In Concert, the DVD Watanabe, Berlin and Bruford made, is a real bonus.
    Agree, good stuff in the Bruford vein, and obviously Berlin and Watanabe are first-rate. I always find it odd seeing these videos of Watanabe playing: he seems to have small, smooth hands, not like (e.g.) Howe or Vai.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    [Just ordered the first National Health album,] not so keen on the 2nd.
    Why is that?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Why is that?
    Lack of ears? Just a random guess...

Hope no one gets offended. I made a joke. That was a joke. I know plenty of people who don't like neither the first NH, nor the second, and I am on friendly terms with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Why is that?
    Perhaps Taste.
    Alan Gowen, Northettes, Neal Murray makes very nice contributions that you could feel was lacking on 'Of Queues And Cures'

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Perhaps Taste. Alan Gowen, Northettes, Neal Murray makes very nice contributions that you could feel was lacking on 'Of Queues And Cures'
    Oh, absolutely. Still, OQ&C has qualities which aren't all too prevalent on the debut - i.e. the rawness, the whimsy, the playful experimentalism. And although the 'pure fusion' influx is perhaps a bit more stated on the debut, both releases follow a very different path from most other titles listed here to begin with.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Perhaps Taste.
    Alan Gowen, Northettes, Neal Murray makes very nice contributions that you could feel was lacking on 'Of Queues And Cures'
    John Greaves is absolutely outstanding on Of Qs. Of course they are different records, Of Qs is less symphonic and more experimental, and imo more difficult to grasp (I suspect that this could be the reason for not liking it). A couple of listens won't do for sure.

At least they didn't do for me...

I like them equally much, but tend to listen to the debut more often.
    'Of Queues And Cures' is heavier, goes all the way, but perhaps lacks some variation in the expression/sound, that the debut has.

Dont forget this great track that only went on the 2CD (with the Debut, Of Qs, D.S: al Coda)

'Of Queues And Cures' is heavier, goes all the way, but perhaps lacks some variation in the expression/sound, that the debut has.
    Which always sounded 100% intentional to my ears, as it perfectly captures the live feel of the performance here. "Dreams Wide Awake" and "Squarer for Maude" especially come across as tokens of a major H heavy band pumping some twistedly advanced jams from their rehearsal space, and I suppose this offers the clue that they're not really a fusion act at all. This particular combination of rawness and some highly intricate patterns is what makes OQ&C truly stand out.

I also suppose this is one of the reasons why I prefer Feels Good to Me or The Bruford Tapes to the far ore generically (or even sterile) sounding other two titles by the Bruford band.

Cannot believe all of the usual suspects have chimed into the love fest for Brufords incredibly perfect OOAK! And I am just getting to it now.

Count me as a longtime fanatic of it. Have been through a few vinyls, before the CD era came along, it was one of the first cds I hunted down, no easy task btw.
    Love everything about it, brilliant in most everyway.

I also love FGTM, a GGT. Especially as time passes and the realization that this is it for that rare combination of talent and chemistry.

It resides on the top of my 10 best progfusion recordings, I see both Ernie (Bad dog U)and Chris (Helmet of Gnats) as well as Dean Watson Have held it in high regard, and all three of those gentlemen have produced formidable recordings of progfusion in their own right!!!����
    As for my list?

OOAK
    RTF - Romantic Warrior
    Dregs - What if?
    Brand X- Masques
    On the Virg - Serious young Insects
    Caldera - Dreamer
    Dregs - Dregs of the Earth
    Bruf - FGTM
    Chick Corea Elektric band - 1st
    Nova - Vimana

Tomorrow this could be entirely different....I mean Etna, Area, Bella band, Isotope, The Fents, Eleventh House, Weather Report, Colloseum ll, Mindflowers, Special Providence, Mahavishnu, Ponty, 4th Dimension, Arti e Mestieri, Sixun, Planet X........
    Last edited by MJBrady; 03-27-2018 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Nice list!
    Here's my top 10 with guitar:

Bruford - One of a Kind
    Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions of the Emerald Beyond
    Brand X - Masques
    Dixie Dregs - What If
    Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
    BIlly Cobham - Spectrum
    Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean
    Musica Urbana - s/t
    John Abercrombie - Timeless

70s fusion is the best!
    My favourite fusion album of all time is Machinations by Silence IV. Unfortunately very difficult to get hold of, not helped by being on a private label, but the playing is world class -some lovely oboe by Denis Brely (or Albert Marcoeur and Von Zamla) and also some great fretless bass and percussion. A few copies on Discogs but nothing on Youtube https://www.discogs.com/artist/3804741-Silence-IV

My top-8

In a Silent Way - Miles Davis
    Bitche's Brew - Miles Davis
    Water Babies - Miles Davis
    Jack Johnson - Miles Davis
    Agharta - Miles Davis
    Pangea - Miles Davis
    Live Evil - Miles Davis
    Dark Magus - Miles Davis

SCHNIKEY BATMAN!!! I have not played The Fents in so long I had forgotten how great that album is

I always thought The Fents' "First Offense" was in the Bruford-vein.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

Review from ProgArchives:
    Hmm. That ProgArchives OoaK review needs....work

e.g., definitely not fretless bass, and I doubt that's steel guitar either.

As for ranking, OoaK is the masterpiece to my ears, FGtM is just the warm-up.