Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839 LastLast

Thread: F1 Racing

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    And speaking of last lap passes - I really thought that Lando was gonna get there today - but a little sloppy (or less tight) on the final 5 laps cost him after making up so much ground with such excellent driving...
    Yeah, he pushed too hard there for awhile and cooked his tires a bit. The most difficult thing for laypeople to understand is that "you have to go slower to go faster". Once he stopped making progress on Max, it seemed he eased up a bit and was able to make up ground again.

If the race had been a few laps longer, I think he would have won.

The guy who really surprised me was Piastri. I thought for sure he was going to finish higher than he did.

And, btw, Sainz finished 14 seconds behind his teammate.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Lewis on the Monaco "Grand Parade":

Hamilton joked and asked "Do you guys not fall asleep on Sunday watching?"

"Monaco continues to be Monaco, it's not really changed much,"

"The cars are getting bigger and you can't really overtake down the pits without a huge risk of colliding.”

"I wish we had bigger roads and the track could be wider, but I don't think that's ever going to be the case in Monaco because it's just a small place."

"Maybe having special tyres for this race so you have more pitstops would create more variability.”

"They can definitely come up with a specific weekend, you've got the sprint weekend that they have added, but this particular weekend I think they should come up with some new formula for it rather than it just be the same.”

VIA: motorsport.com
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The eons are closing
    Crazy Qualifying today.

Perez not outta Q1, Gasly Q3 time for 10th slower than Ocon Q2 11th place time, LeClerc grabs the pole (Ferrari 250th) while Verstappen hits the wall and now starts in third row.

Still pulling for McLaren

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The eons are closing
    First Lap Red Flag! Some stupid driving there by Magnussen - and what were the Alpine drivers doing!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Magnusson saying enough room wasn't left
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    First Lap Red Flag! Some stupid driving there by Magnussen - and what were the Alpine drivers doing!

Ocon : Punished.

Magnussen / Hulkenberg / Perez incident - no further action.

WTF?
    Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Bizarre
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Apart from the chaos of the first lap it was a dreadful processional event, and adds nothing to the sport. Something needs to be done to keep this race a valid event for the calendar.

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    They need to bring back pit strategy but they never will.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

The eons are closing
    That's essentially what Hamilton was saying - for Monaco, adjust the tyre compound to make more of a two-three pit race.

All the drivers seem to talk about Qualifying as the Pinnacle day at Monaco. The pole is almost more important than the race win as they all go balls out during the Qs.

Edit: how lucky is Sainz re: restart decision

Last edited by MudShark22; 05-27-2024 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Apart from the chaos of the first lap it was a dreadful processional event, and adds nothing to the sport. Something needs to be done to keep this race a valid event for the calendar.
    Agreed - but isn't it always (almost) this bad? AFAIC, Monaco is over after qualifying - barring accidents/attrition.

This time, though, I believe the top 7 positions were exactly in grid-order, and even Monaco hasn't ever had that in its history. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - didn't research it, just speaking from fuzzy memory.)

I usually HATE road circuits for that reason, though I have to admit being surprised by Miami (latest race only), Vegas (which was very competitive) and Baku,- which is usually fun.
    Regards,

Duncan

Did anyone watch the Indy 500? It was a hell of a lot more entertaining the Monaco (I watched both). Record number of lead changes including a final lap pass for the win. I felt bad for Pato O'ward who has been so close,but was overtaken right at the end. Hell of a race.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Did anyone watch the Indy 500? It was a hell of a lot more entertaining the Monaco (I watched both). Record number of lead changes including a final lap pass for the win. I felt bad for Pato O'ward who has been so close,but was overtaken right at the end. Hell of a race.
    I did.

Regarding the number of passes:

Monaco-vs-I500.jpg
    (Click to enlarge)

Number of overtakes in Monaco:
    2017: 3
    2018: 4
    2019: 2
    2020: (Covid)
    2021: 0
    2022: 13
    2023: 22
    2024: 4

I'd love to go to a Monaco race. But I hate the racing at Monaco.
    Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 05-29-2024 at 01:38 PM.
    Regards,

Duncan

Next race: MONTREAL CANADA JUNE 7-9 (the ONLY Canadian race, while the USA gets three: Miami, Las Vegas and Austin), wonder why? $$$...

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Next race: MONTREAL CANADA JUNE 7-9 (the ONLY Canadian race, while the USA gets three: Miami, Las Vegas and Austin), wonder why? $$$...
    Defenitly $$$, that's the only thing they are interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    AND:
    - Because the USA has almost 10 times the Canadian population
    - Because the USA's weather pattern supports an event like this for a lot longer than Canada
    - Because F1 is now owned by an American company (Liberty Media)
    - Because the US population has the interest and disposable income to support sell-out crowds for 3 races
    - Because Netflix (and American company) has popularized F1 more than any other effort

It isn't only about $$$
    Regards,

Duncan

Well said, Duncan.

Besides, F1 is a company whose sole purpose is to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    AND:
    - Because the USA's weather pattern supports an event like this for a lot longer than Canada
    - Because the US population has the interest and disposable income to support sell-out crowds for 3 races
    - Because Netflix (and American company) has popularized F1 more than any other effort

It isn't only about $$$
    So it's still about the money. A larger population and enough people to sell-out for 3 races means more money, it's just that easy. Sports is about money and not much else. The profits are for the organisations and everything else is for the taxpayers. Color me cynical.

AND:

It isn't only about $$$
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yes! I would say the best Indy500 I've seen (which is not that long a list compared to yall). The last 20-25 laps were absolutely thrilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    So it's still about the money. A larger population and enough people to sell-out for 3 races means more money, it's just that easy. Sports is about money and not much else. The profits are for the organisations and everything else is for the taxpayers. Color me cynical.
    The cynics make the best realists.

AND:

It isn't only about $$$
    I'm interested to see if your fourth point will have legs. Its only one year into the three races a year experiment. As you know, in the past these things crashed and burned, so I do wonder how long the US population will hold interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    The cynics make the best realists.
    You're so cynical!!
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I'm interested to see if your fourth point will have legs. Its only one year into the three races a year experiment. As you know, in the past these things crashed and burned, so I do wonder how long the US population will hold interest.
    That's a fair point. F1 has tried and failed in the USA in the past, and I can't see the Netflix series continuing indefinitely.
    Regards,

Duncan

The eons are closing
    That's a fair point. F1 has tried and failed in the USA in the past, and I can't see the Netflix series continuing indefinitely.
    cough...andretti....cough