Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes Featuring ARW Live CD Artwork

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yes Featuring ARW Live CD Artwork

This should spark some fun debate.

http://www.musictap.com/2018/05/18/t...-a-the-apollo/

No real debate to be had. That's the name that they're using.

It's just amazing that they can't get better artwork. I'm sure Man in the Mountain could whip up something that would look better than that in 15 minutes.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Sorry, I mean the artwork. The name thing is settled, or so it seems.

Holy Shit, that brings bad cover art to a whole new level. It's like "Direct to the Walmart Discount Bin" type artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    It's just amazing that they can't get better artwork. I'm sure Man in the Mountain could whip up something that would look better than that in 15 minutes.
    Yes I could, thanks Scott! Though I'm reminded that sometimes the powers you deal with are dumbfounding. I just recently did a cover for a famous group, and my design was stripped apart so much in order to please everyone that by the end I had nothing to do with it's very bland look. In retrospect I wish I had left my credit off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Yes I could, thanks Scott! Though I'm reminded that sometimes the powers you deal with are dumbfounding. I just recently did a cover for a famous group, and my design was stripped apart so much in order to please everyone that by the end I had nothing to do with it's very bland look. In retrospect I wish I had left my credit off of it.
    Why do people treat this stuff like a democracy? I did a blog post on just that. You be able to identify with it:

https://step2branding.com/corporate-communications/
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Why do people treat this stuff like a democracy? I did a blog post on just that. You be able to identify with it:

https://step2branding.com/corporate-communications/
    Yes, that's great. And I've read it before. "I’m not a pro, but I know enough to be dangerous..." Hahahaha!! And you know, I also once worked with a guy who didn't like red! He thought red represented blood, and I should avoid using that color. So everything I did had to be absent of red. Absolute truth.

Hopefully, I'll never work in a design firm again. I'm staying in this manufacturing company I work at now where I'm the only designer and they think everything I do is great. Plus, continue to do album work on the side. Man, as much as I would love to do stuff for ARW, I can tell it would more a pain in the ass than really fun. You would never speak directly with A, R or W... it would be through managers relaying you all the bickering and displeasure.
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 05-21-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Yes, that's great. And I've read it before. "I’m not a pro, but I know enough to be dangerous..." Hahahaha!!

Hopefully, I'll never work in a design firm again. I'm staying in this manufacturing company I work at now where I'm the only designer and they think everything I do is great. Plus, continue to do album work on the side. Man, as much as I would love to do stuff for ARW, I can tell it would more a pain in the ass than really fun. You would never speak directly with A, R or W... it would be through managers relaying you all the bickering and displeasure.
    I used to be in a band with Bob Cesca, the guy who did Magnification and Symphonic Yes. He was giddy as a schoolgirl at the idea of working for his heroes, but came away very disillusioned and disappointed. With Anderson, especially.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I also once worked with a guy who didn't like red! He thought red represented blood, and I should avoid using that color. So everything I did had to be absent of red. Absolute truth.
    By chance, was he Asian? My wife had a colleague in Hong Kong. When my wife sent her a letter (this was years ago), she used red ink. The colleague asked if she was angry, explaining that it was customary to use red ink when angry.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Didn't you do a design for Emerson/Lake which stalled due to their arguments? Again, sad.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Didn't you do a design for Emerson/Lake which stalled due to their arguments? Again, sad.
    Absolutely true. I'll never forget, out of the blue Keith calls me up. "Ello Martin, it's Keith!" Ah... what a memory. And he tells me that he is planning a tour with Greg and they need a logo for the tour. But, they need it right away! (Yeah, not too much pressure. You have to work and crap in your pants at the same time.) So, I toss some ideas back at him. One I quite liked that was art-deco looking, and I made a push for it saying they could run with that theme for the tour.

Well, turns out Greg had his own designer that threw ideas in the hat. Greg didn't like any of my logos, and in particular didn't like the art-deco one saying it made them look like a jazz band. But Keith didn't like any of the Greg's either, so we did another round each. Keith gave me some bad ideas that I worked out, but it was all very rush. And yet again, it was the same stand-still. So, I get an e-mail from Keith saying he and Greg cannot agree on a logo, so they have decided not to have a logo and can move forward. My heart sunk.

To make matters worse, when the tour was announced, they did in fact roll out a sort-of logo made by Greg's guy, pictured below...

Emerson&Lake_graphic-for-web-web.jpg

To make matters worse, when the tour was announced, they did in fact roll out a sort-of logo made by Greg's guy, pictured below...

Emerson&Lake_graphic-for-web-web.jpg
    Hey Mr. Mountain, Cool story, even if disappointing in the end. I have a question for you. In situations like this do you get paid anyway? Or is it pay only if they use it? I understand it sucks not to get yours selected, but worse if you have wasted a lot of time for nothing.

Does this deserve to be called Artwork?

Of course I'm gonna buy the thing, but does the artwork really have to be that bad? Really? It looks like one of those $5.99 cd's they used to (maybe they still do?) sell at truck stops...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Of course I'm gonna buy the thing, but does the artwork really have to be that bad? Really? It looks like one of those $5.99 cd's they used to (maybe they still do?) sell at truck stops...
    Even worse...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Give it time, brother. Give it time.

It looks more like an ad for the show than a CD cover!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Another poor design demonstrating no real design sense. Stock art, rudimentary Photoshop work. Everything is fighting with each other. The eye doesn't know where to go.

I just showed it to my wife and she asked, "What do you look at first?"

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I thought the same thing.

How do you now that it's not?

That was my first thought too.

It's straight from the school of "Fuck it, that'll do" cover design.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    That was my first thought too.

It's straight from the school of "Fuck it, that'll do" cover design.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Interesting that they appear as barely present, transparent figures. They got yanked off the stage by the Apollo clown within a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Interesting that they appear as barely present, transparent figures. They got yanked off the stage by the Apollo clown within a few minutes.
    They're launching themselves as holograms, just in case?
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I look forward to seeing the reissue 30 years from now with vastly improved, alternate artwork.
    <sig out of order>

Is there a DVD too?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Is there a DVD too?
    We're expecting a DVD and CD, although that's not been confirmed yet.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/