Page 16 of 85 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoner!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    ^^^
    The electric sleep and Celestial Hi-Fi are their best for me.
    Thanks. I shall add those to my Amazon shopping cart.

"Dopethrone" by Electric Wizard. The definition of a grower. The first time I played it, I didn't like it much; the processed vocals drove me nuts. But I got used to it and now I can't stop playing the damn thing!! This is some seriously heavy sludge. After each session, I have to clean out my ears from all the buzzing and fuzzing emitting from my speakers. They are like Hawkwind and Crazy Horse played at 8 RPM! And quite a bit like Sleep too. Are there other good albums by Electric Wizard? No wonder this album appears in a lot of "Best Of Stoner Rock" lists!

I had my first taste of Baroness too. I got "The Red Album" and it's really great, but it doesn't sound like stoner rock to me. If anything, it's closer to progressive metal but nothing like Dream Theater or Opeth. I'm not sure who to compare them to but some reviews have noted they are similar to Mastodon, a band I still have yet to hear!

Banned
    I just found out on Wikipedia that Sheavy's Synchronized was produced by Mike Butcher, who worked with Black Sabbath. How does this album rate?

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Are there other good albums by Electric Wizard? No wonder this album appears in a lot of "Best Of Stoner Rock" lists!
    "Come My Fanatics" is their absolute best. Why? Because it also has a large dose of spacey psych in it. Get it asap...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I just found out on Wikipedia that Sheavy's Synchronized was produced by Mike Butcher, who worked with Black Sabbath. How does this album rate?
    Not so strong I'm afraid...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I like some of Sheavy's music, but the singer (on albums I've heard) sounds too much like Ozzy. That kiinda messes it up for me. I mean, one Ozzy is enough.

Picked up Orchid based on Steve's description and I really dig it! JIF, you were looking for the Sabbath sound, check out Orchid's latest disc "Capricorn".
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

BORIS is here in town tomorrow night: if y'all have any chance to check out this band, please go for it. A nice mixture of doom/sludge/psych J-rock/metal with some fucking superb delivery and spirit - really great live band in my book.

After each session, I have to clean out my ears from all the buzzing and fuzzing emitting from my speakers.
    Is this what is known as a 'ringing' endorsement?

You might like "Black Masses" from a couple of years ago. Cleaner vox and a slightly more streamlined sound.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

BORIS was awesome - a perfect blend of doom/stoner/psych delivered with intensity - lots of fog and lights too.

FYI: There's a Sungrazer show on dime: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=448857
    the same show is at the Live Archive: http://archive.org/details/Sungrazer_2011-02-11.flac16

This thread is brilliant, found many new bands I completely dig. Keep this going...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    This thread is brilliant, found many new bands I completely dig. Keep this going...
    You can hear a lot of stoner for free here: http://www.live365.com/stations/rocksanne

this station is very heavy too, but it requires a VIP acct: http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/direc...rchdesc=stoner

I subscribe to the ATIH newsletter. thought some of you might like to see this:

Sungrazer/The Machine: Split LP (LP) (Import)
    Price: $16.99 Released: 2013 Label: Elektrohasch

Deluxe gatefold sleeve. Both parties are big fuzzheads, relying on guitar power and this split is no different. Mostly complementing each other, there are a few characteristics though that separate The Machine and Sungrazer from being confounded. The former have a more direct approach to the songs, drenching the fuzz in feedback, with less to no effects brought to the mix. Taking a cue from Kyuss, The Machine's production is raw and the vocals are left in the background for a full effect of the guitars wall. This way, "Awe" is a fuzz monster that never threatens to let loose for its entire span, showcasing what The Machine are all about, ending with a minute of feedback. Only on "Slipface" the band loosens up, offering a few minutes of tribal drums and wah solos, before settling for a nice, subdued ending. read more / add to cart

I just had a face melt courtesy of the latest Sons of Otis release. It's some good shit for sure. Are all their albums this good?

Also, I listened to the first LP (I'm a vinyl nerd, sorry) of the double vinyl version of the new Uncle Acid album and it kicks ass so far! I love this band!!

Space Cadet
    I just had a face melt courtesy of the latest Sons of Otis release. It's some good shit for sure. Are all their albums this good?
    Pretty much, yea. Probably one of the most underrated bands of the "genre" (and they will soon be hitting their 20 year anniversary!). If you like the latest I would really recommend Exiled, which is similar tone/structure. Spacejumbofudge and Templeball are absolute classics as well, with a bit more traditional song structures in parts ("Mile High"). Can't go wrong with any of them though! Also very glad to see that their albums are (finally) being issued on vinyl.

fwiw

I was listening to this while cleaning the kitchen. 35007 (upside down and backwards for LOOSE, so they say...)

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    35007 (upside down and backwards for LOOSE, so they say...)
    Great band. I miss 'em.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Never heard of 'em before but this was in the "recommended for you" part of Youtube...

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Never heard of 'em before but this was in the "recommended for you" part of Youtube...
    I have their debut and it rips! Acidic leads all over the place...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Who needs Black Sabbath "13"????

Not me anyway.

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I listened to the first side of the new Orchid LP over the weekend and it didn't do as much for me as "Capricorn" did. I didn't find the songs as memorable somehow, but it was just a cursory listen to the first side. It didn't help that the new Uncle Acid album "Mind Control" completely blew me away. Has anyone heard it yet? It's a concept album, I believe loosely based on The Manson murders. The first half sounds somewhat similar to "Blood Lust" while the second half sounds like late period Beatles on very bad acid. I love it!

Eggnogg is from Brooklyn, fwiw. I have a couple of their releases. They used Kickstarter to help fund Apocrypha but didn't make the goal. Looks like they found a compromise, called Apocrypha. you can listen to their stuff here: http://www.palaverrecords.com/eggnogg

I listened to the first side of the new Orchid LP over the weekend and it didn't do as much for me as "Capricorn" did. I didn't find the songs as memorable somehow, but it was just a cursory listen to the first side. It didn't help that the new Uncle Acid album "Mind Control" completely blew me away. Has anyone heard it yet? It's a concept album, I believe loosely based on The Manson murders. The first half sounds somewhat similar to "Blood Lust" while the second half sounds like late period Beatles on very bad acid. I love it!
    Have not heard that one yet Steve, but loved Blood Lust. Will be picking up shortly. I see that Orchid comes out next week, and will be scooping that and the new Kadavar up as well.