Page 5 of 85 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoner!

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    FYI, a new Wo Fat album was released just yesterday.

Great, another band to add to my ever-growing list of stoner faves! The band has a kick-start campaign going to get them to play at the Roadburn festival next April, here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...oing-to-europe
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    I find it hard to take a band seriously when their bass player looks like Bun E. Carlos.
    is it easier if I say he looks like Walter Becker?

Got my batch from Ken yesterday. Listened to My Sleeping Karma first. A solid disc but nothing that really blew me away. Glowsun, on the other hand, is a fantastic album!

enjoy

I think I need to buy Wo Fat. That shiznit is extra large.

Just put in an order with Ken including the My Sleeping Karma. But I didn't get the Glowsun. It appears I should have gotten that as well.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

That Wo Fat is excellent - it's gone to the top of my want list. Here are the equally awesome Lo-Pan:

Tu veux un camembert?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Just put in an order with Ken including the My Sleeping Karma. But I didn't get the Glowsun. It appears I should have gotten that as well.
    Just place another one then!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    But I didn't get the Glowsun. It appears I should have gotten that as well.
    Yes! A must if you like your stoner on the acid edge...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

when I get home after Thanksgiving, I'll check out some Glowsun. thanks for the recommendation

Thanks for the leads to

Monkey3
    Sleeping Karma
    Color Haze

I am ordering various bits even as I comment!

Very Cool Indeed

regards
    KGH
    www.artbykgh.com

Wherein one can peruse all manner of Digital Artwork & Photography. . .

Not full-on stoner, but that Ancestors disc I recently ordered is good! How many have they released? Am I better to look for earlier recordings?

Banned

Just stumbled into this site. looks at a first glance.

http://www.heavyplanet.net/

I've added Freedom Hawk to the bands I'll be buying more of.

[QUOTE=Paul;6921]That Wo Fat is excellent - it's gone to the top of my want list. Here are the equally awesome Lo-Pan:

Lo-Pan are playing in Toronto on Mon 26, Nov and Montreal on the 27th.. I'll get a report on the Toronto show from the fore-mentioned DJs who are making the 8 hour return trip to see them in TO

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Not full-on stoner, but that Ancestors disc I recently ordered is good! How many have they released? Am I better to look for earlier recordings?
    Three full lengths and one mini album.

Neptune With Fire (2008)
    My prefered album of theirs. A concept work of savage stoner doom with an early 70s proto-prog influence due to the swirling organ work. Two side-long riff ladden tracks based on a thick rythm section, heavy guitar licks, extensive jamming with a psych/prog vibe and spiralling spacerock twists. And everything evolves effortlessly driven by a hungry need to "deliver the goods". Brilliant all the way through!

Of Sound Mind (2009)
    Still a concept work but of a more controlled nature than their debut. It consists of a series of more song structured pieces, sandwiched between brief instrumental intervals. The hammond organ gets more space here, a fact that makes parts of the album sound somewhat Deep Purplish. Acoustic bits creep in, the guitar sound has a 70s hard bluesy nature in the jamming parts and the proto-prog influence is stronger. More diversed but compaired to the mammoth opus of their debut it raised some questions about their future direction but it is still a high quality offering.

Invisible White (2011) -mini LP
    Here is when deception came in. Strong line-up changes and a new keyboard dominated direction that is a complete departure from their stoner doom roots. The guitars have a supporting 2nd role and the atmosphere is full of "poor man's Pink Floydisms" with a very deja vu impression to my ears. The tracks do flow, but nothing spectacular seems to happen and the majic of their earlier works seems lost. I would by-pass this one as their most weak.

In Dreams and Time (2012)
    It builds on the path of Invisible White but with improved results. Structured compositions with more emphasis on Floydian prog paths resulting in lower edged heavy outbursts that remind me of a tamed Neurosis. The stoner influences are almost abandoned and they sound a completely different band than the one that recorded "Neptune with Fire". Those who love ANCESTORS for their doom metal character of their earlier work will be somewhat deceived but In Dreams and Time is clearly a work of musical evolution; the album that tries to push them in a wider audience than the one of the stoner fans (in a positive way). I have a feeling that they will further explore the prog aspect of their works with their future releases and I would like to see them abandon the Floydian stylings for more complex/adventurus structures. They seem capable of achieving higher levels of maturity.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

There's a band out of Sweden called Sideburn who play a mix of stoner/doom/'70s styled hard rock. Their latest IV Monument is quite good! Some good bands mentioned above, though for the life of me I just can't get into Baroness. Their latest CD puts me to sleep...

you guys tend to like longer tunes , all these clips have the bands playing quietly arpeggiated guitar bits/sections then turning it up after 2 minutes or so and then having a loud screaming section and then a change and repeating the formula with pretty tried and true riffs somewhere in the mix.

I tend to like "stoner" that hits hard and has good riffs changes and maybe small solos of some kind. now back in the day stoner meant the kind of music you smoke dope to and then make a run to get munchies about 3 in themorning ; it tended to mellow everyone out. but it seems formulaic in many ways. i suppose i'm just jaded , lol

Neptune With Fire (2008)
    My prefered album of theirs. A concept work of savage stoner doom with an early 70s proto-prog influence due to the swirling organ work. Two side-long riff ladden tracks based on a thick rythm section, heavy guitar licks, extensive jamming with a psych/prog vibe and spiralling spacerock twists. And everything evolves effortlessly driven by a hungry need to "deliver the goods". Brilliant all the way through!

Ordered this one yesterday, along with the new Diagonal, new Soundgarden, and the new Wo Fat! Just too much good music out there these days!

Just turned on to these guys.....any thoughts...

This will take you places...

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

yet more information at this site. and some CDs for sale

http://www.doommantia.com/

I've bought stuff from this guy & gal before and you can shop with confidence. Not entirely Stoner but they do have a nice range.

http://www.allthatisheavy.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I've bought stuff from this guy & gal before and you can shop with confidence. Not entirely Stoner but they do have a nice range.

http://www.allthatisheavy.com/
    and they have an ongoing sale with numerous CDs for $6.66. My second order from that sale is due to arrive any day.