Page 6 of 85 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoner!

Just now getting into these guys.

WOW, Earthless - Sonic Prayer was fantastic. RIGHT UP MY ALLEY. Thanks for sharing this.

I've been getting heavily into the genre over the past year. Casa Sui is amazing, as is Glowsun, which I'm spinning now. I can't stop spinning the last few Colour Haze albums as well. I think I'll have to check out a few others from this thread.

I'm listening to Glowsun's The Sundering. Great stuff. They just picked up a new fan.

OM was fucking incredible - nothing at all like I expected, very psychedelic at times and quite dynamic . . . my ear's to the ground, as there's tons of bands that make their way through this region all the time !!!

^ I own pretty close to the whole SCOTS discography but haven't been to a show yet.

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    OM was fucking incredible - nothing at all like I expected, very psychedelic at times and quite dynamic . . . my ear's to the ground, as there's tons of bands that make their way through this region all the time !!!
    Glad to read it Josef! Their newest album is in my top 5 for 2012!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I'm almost a complete newbie to this genre. The YouTube links have gotten me hooked! When I'm done Christmas shopping for everyone else, looks like I'm going to have to do a little for myself! Now *this* is the kind of stuff I can relate to these daze, much more than what typically is featured in the main page in fact!

Yves, you recommended one to me at Nearfest by a band called Blood Ceremony. Is that stoner rock? I think I still have it in my Amazon wish list.

I'm working my way through the YT links in this thread. (reached page 3)... I'm kind of surprised that all of this "stoner" bands are systematically using big guitar sounds ala 70's hard rock, somewhere close to early Sab or Zep....
    It sounds pretty retro in most cases... and quite uniform, really...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Yves, you recommended one to me at Nearfest by a band called Blood Ceremony. Is that stoner rock? I think I still have it in my Amazon wish list.
    Doom metal with a huge 70s proto prog vibe... Kinda Sabbath meets Traffic. Mega-recommended.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'm working my way through the YT links in this thread. (reached page 3)...
    It sounds pretty retro in most cases... and quite uniform, really...
    That's the point. Sabs, Zep, Mountain, Grand Funk... No need to progress here. Just retro, downtuned as fuck and sweetly heavy to go down with the doobies!
    Last edited by spacefreak; 12-01-2012 at 04:00 PM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Best band from Belgium.

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Now *this* is the kind of stuff I can relate to these daze, much more than what typically is featured in the main page in fact!
    ...and this is exactly the type of gigs I mostly feel like going
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Doom metal with a huge 70s proto prog vibe... Kinda Sabbath meets Traffic. Mega-recommended.
    That's good to hear! Especially since I just blew a $130 wad at All That Is Heavy. I ended up with Blood Ceremony, Earthless-Rhythms From a Cosmic Sky, Colour Haze-Tempel and She Said, Ancestors-Neptune With Fire and Of Sound Mind, Brotherhood of Sleep, Glowsun-Eternal Season and My Sleeping Karma-Soma. Some of these I got on vinyl because...well I'm funny that way.

just got my shipment from Laser, which included that new Glowsun. Oh my fuck, that is HEAVY
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

[QUOTE=Jerjo;13477]just got my shipment from Laser.../QUOTE]

I do business with stores & labels. What's Laser's url? sound like I should bookmark them too.

https://www.lasercd.com/

Warning - can be a severe drain on your credit card
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

That's good to hear! Especially since I just blew a $130 wad at All That Is Heavy. I ended up with Blood Ceremony, Earthless-Rhythms From a Cosmic Sky, Colour Haze-Tempel and She Said, Ancestors-Neptune With Fire and Of Sound Mind, Brotherhood of Sleep, Glowsun-Eternal Season and My Sleeping Karma-Soma. Some of these I got on vinyl because...well I'm funny that way.
    That's what I call HEAVY Christmas. Enjoy the ride!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Nice haul indeed rael! All excellent bands! The only disc I don't have in my collection or on order is "She Said". The rest are all a part of my "Stoner" playlist on iTunes (which just happens to be my most played playlist)!

As for Blood Ceremony, you should be able to find both CDs fairly cheap, so grab 'em both. They're fairly interchangeable, though I'm more partial to the debut.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Here's Pearls and Brass, who move a little away from the stoner rock norm and throw in some odd time signatures:

Tu veux un camembert?

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Any fans of the many bands fronted by Scott "Wino" Weinrich?

The Obssessed, Saint-Vitus, Spirit Caravan, The Hidden Hand, Stormbringer..... He's the Mike Portnoy of stoner!
    He's featured in this documentary about heavy/retro/stoner rock (Earthless is here too):

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

turn it up...

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...