Page 81 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182838485 LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2120

Thread: Stoner!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I wasn't sure where to post this - it could have gone on a couple of other threads, but I thought it would get the most appreciation here. A completely random find - Stoner, Doom Metal, I'm not sure, but the female singer, named Jex Thoth (that's apparently what she goes by), is really great. She sounds sort of like Bjork, and sort of like the woman with the beehive-hairdo from The B-52s (but better). The band is good too, though I don't even know who is in it! They're from Madison, Wisconsin. This is their first album, from 2003, but I checked out their fourth (and last, it seems) from 2013, and it sounds very good.

Two new songs plus a cover from Fu Manchu on vinyl:

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Slow Wake, a band out of Cleveland: https://slowwake.bandcamp.com/album/...JtxTqQ27n3qT_8

I like the description: Like staring out into the abyss of Lake Erie at sunset on a few hits of acid as the sun burns the water.

Another one I'm enjoying is the new Earthless - Night Parade Of One Hundred Demons https://www.earthlessofficial.com/si...s-is-out-today
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

New WO FAT, "The Singularity" is crushing! Usual blistering riffing and jamming but more tempo changes than previous recordings and even an odd time signature thrown in.

Also, new SASQUATCH on the way! And new EARTHLESS, as mentioned... 2022 is shapin' up as a great year for stoner!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I know Mars Red Sky was mentioned somewhere amongst the many pages here but any opinions?
    To my ears very unique sounding with the vocals not seeming to match the music at times but I'm really drawn to their sound especially that debut.
    The guitarist/vocalist who has sung in other bands said he just started singing over the heaviness and it seemed to work. They site The Melvins, Sleep and King Crimson as influences and many others of course.
    How legit is this band? Anyway I've been won over, I have their first three studio albums. They have called their music Doom Pop or Black Sabbath meets Simon And Garfunkel so I get that not everyone would be into this.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    New WO FAT, "The Singularity" is crushing! Usual blistering riffing and jamming but more tempo changes than previous recordings and even an odd time signature thrown in.

Also, new SASQUATCH on the way! And new EARTHLESS, as mentioned... 2022 is shapin' up as a great year for stoner!
    Already have both, though still waiting their turn for a spin. Unfortunately my backlog of CDs to listen is quite overwhelming
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

I pop in and out of this thread every so often. I should probably go ahead and pledge it.

First came Melvins. I'm not really sure how I fell into them (Patton/FNM/Mr. Bungle connection?), but I did. Somehow, I've avoided seeing them for nearly twenty years. I had a ticket to see King Buzzo and Trevor Dunn a few years back, but it was pandemic cancelled.

They were my entry point. There was Jucifer and Black Sabbath (duh) and probably some other stuff, but I didn't go much beyond Melvins until I encountered Motorpsycho (through PE) six or seven years ago. Yeah, I get that Motorpsycho aren't stoner, but they get sludgy, and I really like that sludgy sound. So Boss Keloid and The Sword and Elder (I'll be at the Raleigh show in August) and Fu Manchu and All Them Witches later, and I guess I'm in.

This is a giant thread, and I can't possibly digest it all, but I'm very appreciative of the resource and have added quite a few bands to my Bandcamp as a result.

I do have one quick question: Where can I buy physical releases from Sleep while avoiding Amazon? (I haven't checked Discogs yet--figured there must be a primary source somewhere.)
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I do have one quick question: Where can I buy physical releases from Sleep while avoiding Amazon? (I haven't checked Discogs yet--figured there must be a primary source somewhere.)
    There is a new reissue of Sleep's Holy Mountain (Full Dynamic Range Edition) at their bandcamp website. CD is quite cheap and hard to refuse. If you prefer vinyl they have it there too.

https://sleep-band.bandcamp.com/albu...-range-edition

^Ah! I think I see what I did. I followed a different page for Sleep.

For some reason, they have three different Bandcamp pages (perhaps for different labels/revenue streams?).

https://weedian.bandcamp.com/merch/dopesmoker-poster

https://sleep.bandcamp.com/music

I have the Sasquatch and Wo Fat. when is the new Earthless coming out?

^^^

It's already out on Nuclear Blast.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Sasquatch doesn't sound much different to me. I like the new one. I just don't think it's much of a change

I'm playing a couple of the more recent Papir albums - really tasty stuff. Stoner riffs mixed with post-rock ambience.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'm playing a couple of the more recent Papir albums - really tasty stuff. Stoner riffs mixed with post-rock ambience.
    Have you heard London Odense Ensemble: Jaiyede Sessions Vol. 1?

Jonas Munk, Jakob Skøtt, Martin Rude, Tamar Osborn and Al MacSween.

Check it out.
    Frog in boiling water

Oh man. I have fallen heavy into some Wo Fat lately.

I can't stop spinning . . . everything from this band.

Oh man. I have fallen heavy into some Wo Fat lately.

I can't stop spinning . . . everything from this band.
    It's been ongoing for me for a couple years now with this band... never get tired of them...

It's been ongoing for me for a couple years now with this band... never get tired of them...
    I basically bought all their albums at once (there was a two-week window in there, but you get the idea). I’ll be honest: I can’t really differentiate between their albums. But that doesn’t bother me. It’s all very good albeit samey. I’m sure with time I’ll see differences and develop favorites. Guess I just need to dive in again.

Got a feeling King Buffalo fans will find quite a bit to like with Desert Wave:

https://desertwaverock.bandcamp.com/...fening-silence

^ Pretty good, thanks

The band Weedpecker of Poland has been mentioned already in some of the threads here, but if anyone is not familiar with the band and into King Buffalo then definitively should check it out.

https://weedpecker.bandcamp.com/music

As hard as it is to choose the best from their albums, for me it would be Weedpecker III:

^Very good stuff. Just ordered everything on Bandcamp. Thanks for the rec.

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    ^ Pretty good, thanks

The band Weedpecker of Poland has been mentioned already in some of the threads here, but if anyone is not familiar with the band and into King Buffalo then definitively should check it out.

https://weedpecker.bandcamp.com/music

As hard as it is to choose the best from their albums, for me it would be Weedpecker III:

Great album and for me easily their best. I like the latest album, but it's more of a straight up 60's psychadelic sound. I prefer the atmosphere of III.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I basically bought all their albums at once (there was a two-week window in there, but you get the idea). I’ll be honest: I can’t really differentiate between their albums. But that doesn’t bother me. It’s all very good albeit samey. I’m sure with time I’ll see differences and develop favorites. Guess I just need to dive in again.
    Garden Dreamer's more seasoned assessment of The Singularity has revealed itself with time. Not only my favorite Wo Fat album, but my favorite album of 2022.

Sounds like you could say, like with Ozric Tentacles or AC/DC, if you have one Wo Fat album, you have them all. I LOVE Wo Fat. I pre-0rder every new release. I have most of AC/DC's catalog and have everything by Ozrics that's not a compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Great album and for me easily their best. I like the latest album, but it's more of a straight up 60's psychadelic sound. I prefer the atmosphere of III.
    <Weedpecker III>

Have exactly the same opinion, although, none of their albums is weak. The first two albums are more of an excellent "stoner" type, while the III for me is perfect, The 4th one swings too much to the other side (psychedelic one as you mentioned), but still is very good. Just curious what the next will be like.

Now streaming Tumbleweed Dealer. I don't know what to call this. Atmospheric Stoner? Anyway, it's floating my boat. Gonna buy 'em all.

https://tumbleweeddealer420.bandcamp...atred-caffeine