Page 352 of 407 FirstFirst ... 252302342348349350351352353354355356362402 ... LastLast
Results 8,776 to 8,800 of 10168

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Went to see the new Spider-Verse film this weekend. If you liked the previous one (and I loved it), this is a worthy sequel. Same great animations styles, however this one trends more towards the frenetic. Be warned if you're prone to seizures. But the story was solid. I'd still grade the two of these films as the best of the Spider-Man films, and I liked, if not loved, all of them.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    The story (though the film apparently took the usual liberties with it) is indeed from the fourteenth century, and was found in a ms. with two other long poems that are generally agreed to be by the same poet, who is known only as "the Gawain poet."

Fun fact: J.R.R. Tolkien translated Sir Gawain and the Green Knight; his translation was, if I am not mistaken, part of the first book of his published after his death, along with two other long poems (Pearl and the rather shorter Sir Orfeo).
    W S Merwin also translated it, as did, if I recall, Simon Armitage. It's part of "The Canon," and I love it. Read it in several translations/ Also saw the movie, on a plane, some time ago....it was okay.

I saw Everything, Everywhere, All at Once this past weekend. I really liked it, though parts of it were too "over the top"--I found it to be pretty unique.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I loved Cloverfield, one of the rare cases where "found footage" really worked for me. Haven't seen any of the not-exactly-sequels.
    I loved it too, and the experience and mystery surrounding it when we saw it in the theater (I went with a huge group of friends) was unlike any movie I could remember before or since.

10 Cloverfield Lane was a good movie also, entirely different in style and premise, but a tense and worthwhile film.

The Cloverfield Paradox was a letdown for me personally. It had so much potential, and squandered most of it IMO.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Electra Glide in Blue--cop movie with Robert Blake as a short cop who wants to be detective. It's a 70s film, and okay. Free on YT

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Electra Glide in Blue--cop movie with Robert Blake as a short cop who wants to be detective. It's a 70s film, and okay. Free on YT
    Worth watching for that incredible ending.. a long, tracking shot of the mountain range with Terry Kaths anthemic Tell Me playing over it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Dear god the latest Avatar movie is awful. Gorgeous to look at but insipid plot.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Worth watching for that incredible ending.. a long, tracking shot of the mountain range with Terry Kaths anthemic Tell Me playing over it.
    I recall that ending; that's the one in which the cop (Blake) gets shot by the "hippie" (Nolte), as he attempts to return his driver's license to him. I also recall that some in the theater audience applauded when the cop was shot. Others were distraught. I was more toward the latter.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We watched Zachariah (1971). With Country Joe & The Fish, The James Gang, Doug Kershaw, and Elvin Jones.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068011...6_q_zacharaiah
    Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Dear god the latest Avatar movie is awful. Gorgeous to look at but insipid plot.
    That was pretty much true of the first one also. "Dances with Wolves Glide In Blue (Da-ba-dee, da-ba-dah)"
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I enjoyed it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

We saw it in IMAX 3D at the theater and visually it was stunning. Many times the 3D effect made you feel like you were actually in the movie. It is by far the best 3D experience ive ever had. As for the plot, yea not so great. I am not that big a fan of the original either.

Recent double-feature I streamed on TCM:

Kelly's Heroes. I can't remember the last time I saw this but I'm pretty sure it was in the '70s. It's better than I remember. Probably because I'm much older and don't get bored as easily. Still, the anachronism of "Oddball", while entertaining, also kind of brought it down a touch for me. 6 out of 10 gold bars.

Where Eagles Dare. Apparently, I'd never seen this movie. Written by the great Alistair MacLean as an original screenplay (concurrently with the novel), I found the plot twist a bit preposterous but entertaining nonetheless. At the very least, it's unpredictable and keeps the viewer off balance. The only issue I had with it was a really stupid contrivance that gets Clint Eastwood knocked unconscious, which then leads to a fight sequence on a cable car between Richard Burton and two guys. Speaking of Burton, he's very good, obviously, but I didn't find him believable in the action scenes. And as for Clint, according to Wikipedia, he didn't like the script and actually requested to be given less lines. In one respect, it worked really well. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to give him much to do and he comes off quite wooden. Overall, I enjoyed this considerably more. 8˝ out of 10 plot twists.

Incidentally, something I found interesting – the opening credits for both movies were in the same color and font: blood red, Gothic German, probably because they were both produced/distributed by MGM and were WWII movies directed by Brian G Hutton.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Kelly's Heroes. I can't remember the last time I saw this but I'm pretty sure it was in the '70s. It's better than I remember. Probably because I'm much older and don't get bored as easily. Still, the anachronism of "Oddball", while entertaining, also kind of brought it down a touch for me. 6 out of 10 gold bars.

Where Eagles Dare. Apparently, I'd never seen this movie. Written by the great Alistair MacLean as an original screenplay (concurrently with the novel), I found the plot twist a bit preposterous but entertaining nonetheless. At the very least, it's unpredictable and keeps the viewer off balance. The only issue I had with it was a really stupid contrivance that gets Clint Eastwood knocked unconscious, which then leads to a fight sequence on a cable car between Richard Burton and two guys. Speaking of Burton, he's very good, obviously, but I didn't find him believable in the action scenes. And as for Clint, according to Wikipedia, he didn't like the script and actually requested to be given less lines. In one respect, it worked really well. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to give him much to do and he comes off quite wooden. Overall, I enjoyed this considerably more. 8˝ out of 10 plot twists.

Incidentally, something I found interesting – the opening credits for both movies were in the same color and font: blood red, Gothic German, probably because they were both produced/distributed by MGM and were WWII movies directed by Brian G Hutton.
    I enjoy both of those movies,but agree with your assessment. They both have their flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

I read all of Alistair MacLean's novels as a teenager and saw all the movies. Eagles is definitely the best of the films but The Guns of Navarone is great also. All MacLean's books had plot twists at the end, usually a villain revealed to be a good guy or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I read all of Alistair MacLean's novels as a teenager and saw all the movies. Eagles is definitely the best of the films but The Guns of Navarone is great also. All MacLean's books had plot twists at the end, usually a villain revealed to be a good guy or vice versa.
    I found MacLean’s books to be rather inconsistent. The two “Navarone” books are great and I loved “Ice Station Zebra”, but some of his books were not so good. One that comes to mind was “A Way To A Dusty Death”. It was basically a kind of soap opera centered around auto racing written by a person who appeared to have very little knowledge of auto racing. MacLean did not appear to do much research for that one and the story was pretty lame.

Ice Station Zebra was a good read as a teenager but man, the movie was just lame. I prefer Guns of Navarone to Where Eagles Dare, but YMMV.

Kelly's Heroes is a stone cold classic for me. The Oddball character is perfect considering the time that the movie was made in and Sutherland absolutely kills it. The only sour note for me was the minefield scene. It just felt out of place. I read an interview with Rickles and he felt the same way. It's a heist movie and suddenly we get a "war is hell" moment. The whole showdown with the Tiger tank sergeant still works so well. "That's 65 million marks. All you have to do is crank that turret around and blow a hole in that door."
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Ice Station Zebra was a good read as a teenager but man, the movie was just lame. I prefer Guns of Navarone to Where Eagles Dare, but YMMV.

Kelly's Heroes is a stone cold classic for me. The Oddball character is perfect considering the time that the movie was made in and Sutherland absolutely kills it. The only sour note for me was the minefield scene. It just felt out of place. I read an interview with Rickles and he felt the same way. It's a heist movie and suddenly we get a "war is hell" moment. The whole showdown with the Tiger tank sergeant still works so well. "That's 65 million marks. All you have to do is crank that turret around and blow a hole in that door."
    I wasn't even a teenager when I watched Kelly's Heroes. I still remember that plot and loved it as a young tyke.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 06-14-2023 at 02:57 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I prefer Guns of Navarone to Where Eagles Dare, but YMMV.
    I've never seen GoN. At least, not all the way through. I wanted to watch it, too, but it wasn't on TCM.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

We finally saw the movie “Pearl” on Showtime the other night. After watching it we decided to go back and watch “X” again. Although I enjoyed “X” the first time, I liked it better having the backstory of Pearl. “X” has it’s flaws and I think “Pearl” is the better film of the two, but together they make a pretty good story. Not sure that I understand why they made the films out of sequence.

It will be interesting to see where they go in the 3rd movie of the trilogy. Oh, and Mia Goth is an amazing actress.
    Last edited by SteveSly; 06-16-2023 at 11:54 AM.

Had never see this before and found it really interesting:

Saw the new Stephen King adaptation “The Boogeyman” in the theater this afternoon. This is a derivative, paint by numbers horror film that is like many movies we have seen before. It is not terrible, but not great either. One to check out once it comes out on the small screen, but not one worth going to the theater for.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watched Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown, a 1988 comedy by Pedro Almodovar. Quite funny.
    Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Saw the new Stephen King adaptation “The Boogeyman” in the theater this afternoon. This is a derivative, paint by numbers horror film that is like many movies we have seen before. It is not terrible, but not great either. One to check out once it comes out on the small screen, but not one worth going to the theater for.
    If I recall the story (from, I believe, Night Shift) correctly, it doesn't have enough plot or ideas to make a feature film. (It was already made as a short film staring David Oakes -- no relation so far as I know -- back in 1982.)
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

If I recall the story (from, I believe, Night Shift) correctly, it doesn't have enough plot or ideas to make a feature film. (It was already made as a short film staring David Oakes -- no relation so far as I know -- back in 1982.)
    Yes, it was from "NIght Shift", and you are spot on on the plot not being much.

Fire of Love a doc on Disney via National Geographic about two French lovers exploring volcanoes, spectacular cinematography, you have to read subtitles. Worth a watch though.