Page 355 of 407 FirstFirst ... 255305345351352353354355356357358359365405 ... LastLast
Results 8,851 to 8,875 of 10158

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Is there a TV thread? I just wanted to mention for Star Trek fans, the new series Star Trek Strange New Worlds is pretty awesome. The best thing to come with a Star Trek name in decades!
    LP!! Where ya been? Strange New Worlds is indeed very good (and, yes, much better than Discovery).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Have to go see the new Indiana Jones movie - pretty much against my will, as the damn thing is 2 hrs 34 min long. That's about 45 minutes too long I fear...
    Not, I fear, a movie a diabetic old phart like myself is likely to go to for exactly this reason...

It's a play where something went wrong,
    'cos it's five hours, three minutes long!
    If you sit through it friend,
    from beginning to end,
    boy, your bladder better be strong!

-- Allan Sherman, "A Most Unusual Play"
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Banned
    Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny grossed 220 million this week, number 6.
    Spider-Man Across the Spiderverse grossed 290 million this week, number 1

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekly/?sort=top10Gross

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I found it better than I expected. Its obviously not as good as the original trilogy, but far better than Crystal Skull.

Shame that there has been a concerted negative campaign against this movie from the start, the usual pathetic youtube bloggers who get far too much recognition for just giving their opinion. I never understand why so many people follow them and hang off their every word. Many of them reviewed and crucified the movie before they had even seen it. .
    The YouTube movie review universe can be all over the place. Although I agree there are a lot of crappy reviewers on the network, there are a few that I watch regularly and almost always agree with. Jeremy Jahns, Austin Burke, Fish Jelly are a few reviewers that I follow and enjoy. I have not seen the Indian Jones film yet, but most reviews that I have seen have been mixed and not straight up negative.

Vesper on Hulu--low budget SF movie, high concept, pretty decent. Sort of reminded me of the old animation film Fantastic Planet.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Vesper on Hulu--low budget SF movie, high concept, pretty decent. Sort of reminded me of the old animation film Fantastic Planet.
    The trailers for this looked pretty good.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Saw “Oppenheimer” this evening in the theater. The hype is real. This is an exceptionally good movie. At 3 plus hours it is really long and does drag a bit in spots, but overall, I thought it was great. Highly recommended.

Meanwhile, the success of Barbie has paved the way for Lena Dunham to direct Lily Collins (Phil's daughter) in a new Polly Pocket film.

I really wish I was joking.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Meanwhile, the success of Barbie has paved the way for Lena Dunham to direct Lily Collins (Phil's daughter) in a new Polly Pocket film.

I'm still getting my head wrapped around THIS not-a-joke film: https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...ts-new-details
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I have nothing to do with this other than liking/backing it, but it might appeal to some folks in here so:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ry-puppet-film

Still blown away by Tippet's Mad God, so anything with his involvement is a win for me
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'm still getting my head wrapped around THIS not-a-joke film: https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...ts-new-details
    I suppose this was inevitable.

A couple of months until horror season kicks off...

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

If it's along the lines of the first Halloween reboot/remix, that's cool. If it's along the lines of the Halloween Kills/Ends sequels, Pazuzu is gonna be pissed

Maybe they'll get John Carpenter to do the soundtrack though!

If it's along the lines of the first Halloween reboot/remix, that's cool. If it's along the lines of the Halloween Kills/Ends sequels, Pazuzu is gonna be pissed

Maybe they'll get John Carpenter to do the soundtrack though!
    With Ellen Burstyn and Linda Blair both returning, I think that's exactly the freeway they're coasting on.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    With Ellen Burstyn and Linda Blair both returning, I think that's exactly the freeway they're coasting on.
    Was not impressed. One of those trailers that tries to appeal to both older and younger horror fans, and falls short for me.

It looks to have the usual over-the-top jump scares. Which I hate. That's not horror.

The original movie created a sense of fear and unease, even before you got to the celebrated gory bits.

Maybe I am being unfair...they could have an interesting twist on the story. But I usually despair when I see such movies use so many of the original actors in the new version. It just feels lazy and calculated to get bums on seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Sounds like you are at a level of frustration and disappointment that I have been at for years with the superhero films . I do notice , at least , Barbie is not part of an endless line of sequels. Good thing I'm not a studio executive , I never would have green lite the Barbie movie , how the hell is a doll movie going to make $$$$????? Shows I know NOTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Sounds like you are at a level of frustration and disappointment that I have been at for years with the superhero films . I do notice , at least , Barbie is not part of an endless line of sequels. Good thing I'm not a studio executive , I never would have green lite the Barbie movie , how the hell is a doll movie going to make $$$$????? Shows I know NOTHING.
    I feel the same, however, we weren't in the office meeting when it was being pitched either. I sounds like it may have used the Pixar formula as being made for all ages, and the whole family. I don't think many boys or men are that interested in seeing it, but they might take their dates. Either way, I'll probably skip it as well.

I don’t really understand why the existence of superhero movies would frustrate and disappoint anyone. Simply don’t go see them if you don’t like them.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I don’t really understand why the existence of superhero movies would frustrate and disappoint anyone. Simply don’t go see them if you don’t like them.
    Just IMHO and speaking as someone who doesn't hate superhero flicks (although I AM burned out on them these days): with theatrical films there are a finite number of screens. Big studio blockbusters don't just play on one screen anymore, they play on like half to 2/3 of the screens. It makes it difficult for smaller movies to be seen. I remember having to drive like 30 miles to see "Attack the Block" on the one theater in my area that had showings.

Just IMHO and speaking as someone who doesn't hate superhero flicks (although I AM burned out on them these days): with theatrical films there are a finite number of screens. Big studio blockbusters don't just play on one screen anymore, they play on like half to 2/3 of the screens. It makes it difficult for smaller movies to be seen. I remember having to drive like 30 miles to see "Attack the Block" on the one theater in my area that had showings.
    It's not only that these movies monopolize the available screens but they suck the oxygen out of the room as far as finances available for other ytypes of movies. Studios have finite dollars and super hero flicks take collosal amounts of cash to make and promote. Plus I view their dominance as part of the stupifying of America.

It's not only that these movies monopolize the available screens but they suck the oxygen out of the room as far as finances available for other ytypes of movies. Studios have finite dollars and super hero flicks take collosal amounts of cash to make and promote. Plus I view their dominance as part of the stupifying of America.
    On the flip side, Marvel is the most successful franchise of all time, generating many billions in revenue. They allow financing for other films.

Kinda like the how the football program supports the entire athletic program at many universities.

Plus I view their dominance as part of the stupifying of America.
    Ah, now we get to the crux of the matter.

I'm sorry I'm part of the stupification of society because I like comic books and movies based on comic books.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Don't worry, you still get to enjoy the other "stupefying" tentpoles, like Star Gwars, Fast and Furiouser(er[er]), Mission: Cruisepossible, and let's not forget Avatar, where you get to see the same movie remade multiple times and still gross billions.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Ah, now we get to the crux of the matter.

I'm sorry I'm part of the stupification of society because I like comic books and movies based on comic books.
    Since we are in a situation where the bulk of offerings from Hollywood is one formulaic sequel after another , the part of the population that moved on from comic books after 12 years old is left high and dry, forgive me if I I have feelings of dissapointment and frustration. I'm no intellectual giant , but the fascination of adults mesmerized by children's entertainment as repetitive and dull as Marvel eludes me. Such a big thing has been made of the Barbihiemer double header release mainly because they're not sequels and actually are something new. Sad , really.

Waiting for Guffman is a tongue in cheek comedy by some of the same comedians in the Canadian Second City improv group and some of the same ones that starred in heavy metal comedy, This Is Spinal Tap. In fact the humor in Spinal Tap and Guffman are similar in tone. Plot: A small town in Missouri decides to put on a play to celebrate their 150 year anniversary. Mayhem ensures. The actual place where they shot this film was partly in Lockhart and Austin, Tx. Good casting the actual play they put on is pretty well produced.