Page 365 of 407 FirstFirst ... 265315355361362363364365366367368369375 ... LastLast
Results 9,101 to 9,125 of 10168

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Felt like a classic tonight, so I re-watched The Thing (1982) and enjoyed it as I have the other three or four times I've seen it over the years. I still find it odd though that Morricone did the score, rather than Carpenter himself.
    A classic!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I just heard about a movie that I'm going to look for. Godmonster of Indian Flats (1973). The 50th Anniversary of the film is being celebrated this weekend in Virginia City, Nevada with multiple showings. AFAIK, the plot involves a mutant sheep terrorizing a small western town, and a racist mayor or sheriff of said town. Definitely falls in the bad movie category. Whether it's watchable remains to be seen.
    Frog in boiling water

^ That's on the giant killer rabbit movie level. Night Of The Lepus, or something like that.

^Well, I know I've seen Night of the Lepus, so I guess it's OK then.
    Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Totally Killer

Horror comedy time travel whodunnit on Amazon Think Back to the Future meets Scream. Not too hard to figure out the whodunnit part, but there was some good suspense and the dialogue I found genuinely funny. Loved the comparisons between life in 1987 and life now Really enjoyed this one.

7.8 out of 10 Molly Ringwalds
    I highly recommend this as well. A lot of fun!

There was actually a horror franchise that I had never visited before until last night. Hellraiser. What a disappointment. I thought it was funnier than scary. The Cenobite with the
    chattering teeth is hysterical! Pinhead was cool. Judging from my reaction to the first, is there any reason to watch the second?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Any wrestling fans in this thread? Just found out about this new movie coming about the Von Eric family. They were, for a short time, the first family of pro wrestling with the majority of their story ending in tragedy. This should be a banger:

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post

There was actually a horror franchise that I had never visited before until last night. Hellraiser. What a disappointment. I thought it was funnier than scary. The Cenobite with the
    chattering teeth is hysterical! Pinhead was cool. Judging from my reaction to the first, is there any reason to watch the second?
    I remember seeing Hellraiser in the theater with friends and we all thought it was hilariously bad. But, it's a cult fave, I suppose....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I highly recommend this as well. A lot of fun!

The 2nd is the best in the series, if a little over the top. However, I'm a fan of Hellraiser and Clive Barker in general.

Watched a good one last night. Jules. A UFO with a live alien crasheds into an old mans back yard. Crushes his azaleas and bird bath. Ben Kingsly is the old man , an excellent performance. Jane Curtain , also very good. If you liked Robot & Frank , you'll probably like this one. Kept a smile on my face . worth the time.

Felt like a classic tonight, so I re-watched The Thing (1982) and enjoyed it as I have the other three or four times I've seen it over the years. I still find it odd though that Morricone did the score, rather than Carpenter himself.
    "It's GONE MacReady!"

When Hellraiser came out I thought it was pretty cool, there was nothing quite like it. I'd probably feel the same as you though had I watched it today. Part II was better so if you liked anything about Hellraiser, I'd give it a shot. Stop ther though because they all suck ass after that one...although I haven't seen the latest. Clive Barker has a wild imagination to say the least.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

My favorite movie of all time. I own the VHS, DVD, Bluray, bluray collectors edition and will be getting the 4K

I actually saw The Thing (Carpenter's, that is) a dozen times in the theatre when it came out. I've gone from Beta to DVD to Blu Ray to 4K and have lost count as to many times I've see it. I know I am a pathological rewatched and know sometime will say "this is ridiculous" (or, to quote the film, "You've gotta be fuckin' kidding me!") but I enjoy it as much as the first time I saw it every time I see it.

Am looking forward to Arrow Video's upcoming Hellraiser 4k box, which collects the first four films. The first two are definitely way better than what followed, but since they're packaged together and at a reasonable price with lots of extras, I figure it's worth it. Ditto their Psycho 4K collection, which will be in my grubby little hands tomorrow. there Hellraiser box will ship on October 23 and, despite coming from the UK to Canada, I should have it within a week after street.

Yay!!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Watched a good one last night. Jules. A UFO with a live alien crasheds into an old mans back yard. Crushes his azaleas and bird bath. Ben Kingsly is the old man , an excellent performance. Jane Curtain , also very good. If you liked Robot & Frank , you'll probably like this one. Kept a smile on my face . worth the time.
    Saw it in the theater. Although I agree, the acting was great, the movie itself didn't do that much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Saw it in the theater. Although I agree, the acting was great, the movie itself didn't do that much for me.
    I kind of liked the change up and its quiet approach to the story. In the vein of Robot and Frank . Another one with similar feel was the fabulous Safety Not Guaranteed

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I kind of liked the change up and its quiet approach to the story. In the vein of Robot and Frank . Another one with similar feel was the fabulous Safety Not Guaranteed
    I have not seen either of those other films.

I can't remember if I've mentioned this before but the screenplay to The Thing was written by Burt Lancaster's son, Bill.

Personally, I don't consider myself a fan of John Carpenter but I do think Halloween, The Thing, and Escape From New York are all terrific movies, The Thing being my favorite of those three.

So, the big question is do you think Childs is the alien or not?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I have not seen either of those other films.
    Robot & Frank is a great movie. Frank Langella gives a stellar performance.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Robot & Frank is a great movie. Frank Langella gives a stellar performance.
    I will have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I can't remember if I've mentioned this before but the screenplay to The Thing was written by Burt Lancaster's son, Bill.

Personally, I don't consider myself a fan of John Carpenter but I do think Halloween, The Thing, and Escape From New York are all terrific movies, The Thing being my favorite of those three.

?
    I would add "They Live", and "Prince Of Darkness". They are both cheesy, but fun films.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Inside 2007 on Tubi w/English subtitles--they have referred to it as The Inside, I don't know why. Pretty intense horror film at times, and gorey too, so if that's not your thing beware of that. You'll probably know with the first ten minutes or so. Four months after the death of her husband, a woman on the brink of motherhood is tormented in her home by a strange woman who wants her unborn baby.
    Watched Inside last night. There is a less gorey English language version with the same title and same story from 2016. The French original from 2007 is definitely the better slasher/thriller.

God Monster of Indian Flats (1973) - this is the one I heard of yesterday and found to watch last night. A mutant sheep terrorizes a small town in the West. Not exactly scary, or good, but fun to watch. Filmed in and around Virginia City, Nevada. Actually includes some Charles Ives music.

Zombeavers (2014) - a rather stupid horror comedy involving college kids at a lake cabin being menaced by zombie beavers. I watched it all the way through, so it must not have been too bad.

I think I saw all the above on Tubi. I also recommend Robot And Frank, which I have on dvd.
    Last edited by spellbound; 10-12-2023 at 01:40 PM.
    Frog in boiling water

I would add "They Live", and "Prince Of Darkness". They are both cheesy, but fun films.
    I'd also add Christine, the incredibly underrated In the Mouth of Madness and even Vampires was fairly entertaining. Also if anyone remember those Masters Of Horror series, he had an awesome one in the first season called Cigarette Burns

Yeah, I don't do cheesy.

Trick Or Treat (1986) - a high school boy is haunted by his favorite heavy metal idol, back from the grave. Includes brief appearances by Ozzy Osbourne as a preacher (!) and Gene Simmons as a radio DJ (my DVD has their pictures on the cover, as thought they were the major characters). Satanic backward masking of a rock record plays a part, as 1986 was the time of PMRC. Has some entertainment value, probably more so in the '80s. Music by Fastway.
    Frog in boiling water

On Tubi, we saw a decent horror flick last night. Oculus (2013), about a brother and sister trying to defeat an ancient sinister mirror, while alternating stories of their childhood and present time. Stars the lovely redhead Karen Gillan. Well done.
    Frog in boiling water