Page 399 of 407 FirstFirst ... 299349389395396397398399400401402403 ... LastLast
Results 9,951 to 9,975 of 10155

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    It still isn't on Shudder for me. Looking forward to watching it though.

Not watching those trailers you guys posted. I'm done with em. They give away WAYYY too much of the plot anymore.

Beastmaster ('81)

Corny old fantasy that doesn't hold up all that well, but I still like to watch because of how much I loved it as a kid. I still think those bat people that hug you into a pile of bones are pretty fuckin cool.

5.9 out of 10 Tanya Roberts
    Agree completely about modern movie trailers. Way too long and they give way too much away. Better to go in as cold as possible.

Wow! I haven't seen Beastmaster since it's initial theatrical run. That was the brief period in the early 80s where Hollywood was making sword and sorcery films...The Sword and the Sorcerer, Hawk the Slayer, Conan the Barbarian, etc. And then, of course, the Italian film industry ran with their cheap copycat versions for years (bless them), until they ran it into the ground, ha.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Steve, I see a lot of great stuff, including Late Night with the Devil, at my local repertory film theatre. All kinds of newer and vintage films from a variety of genres, with a good emphasis on exploitation/horror/foreign/b-movies....so, right up may alley, haha. Ana and I love this place. It's over a 100 years old, and is in our end of town.

Neil
    Sounds fantastic. We used to have a theater like that here in town that showed a lot of indie films and had special screenings of classics and things like that, but unfortunately they are no longer around. As I have mentioned here before, my wife and I buy the monthly movie pass at our local 14 theater cinema (up to 12 movies in a month for $22), so we see a lot of new movies, but I don't remember ever seeing this one here unless it came and went when we were in Florida back in March.

That was the brief period in the early 80s where Hollywood was making sword and sorcery films...The Sword and the Sorcerer, Hawk the Slayer, Conan the Barbarian, etc.

Neil
    Don't forget Titstalker, I mean, Deathstalker.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Never seen it, and now I want to.

Neil

Neil
    same
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Really? It's here for me: https://www.shudder.com/movies/watch...3cf7d1abbb7162

Landed last Friday so it's a very recent addition, FWIW...

Tanya Roberts.....
    Finally appeared last night and watched it. Very cool and creative flick! Loved the recreation of 70's talk show...very well done. I have some gripes ...thought it dragged a bit in the 1st act and was a bit underwhelmed with the ending. HOWEVER, this is definitely a movie that would benefit from a 2nd watch. Fun stuff!

7.3 out of 10 worms

The eons are closing
    Barbi Benton and Lana Clarkson (later murdered by Phil Spector)

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Rebel Moon Part 1--Netflix, I sort of like it. It's not the greatest or worst. It's space opera and takes influences all over the map, sort of feels fantasy like Wheel of Time, at times like Star Wars, comic booky, sort of dry in the storytelling, and cliched, etc. But for me watchable.

The Ministry Of Ungentlemanly Warfare: People tend to either really like Guy Richie films or not like them much at all. I tend to be a fan and this is another nice entry into his filmography. The plot is based on a true story of a group of British undercover soldiers who are tasked with destroying a ship on an island off the coast of Africa. As with most Guy Richie films there is plenty action and shoot em up’s, with the good guys mowing down the bad guys. There are definitely similarities between this film and Quenten Tarantino’s “Inglorious Bastards.” “Ministry” is not on the same level, but tries hard. The film is not a comedy, although there are quite a few comedic moments. The cast is led by Henry Cavill who does a fine job as the leader of this ragtag group. Overall, I found this to be an enjoyable film. Probably not Richie’s best, but a good solid fun movie.

4 out of 5 stars.

Arrowhead Grit TV, western with Charlton Heston playing, Ed Bannon, an army scout who helps the army move the Apache to a Florida reservation. The character "Ed Bannon" is partially based on Al Sieber, Chief of Scouts of the United States Army in the Southwest, according to the legend that appears at the end of the film, but there are several significant differences between Bannon and Sieber. Sieber didn't particularly like whites and preferred the company of Native Americans. Sieber, a Civil War veteran, became chief of scouts for the U.S. Army at the San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation in 1870. He led the Apache scouts who helped to track down and capture Geronimo, and reportedly survived 29 arrow and gunshot wounds during his life. In 1907, he was killed in an accident while working as the foreman of a Native American road-building crew. Sieber spoke German, English, Spanish, Apache, and at least one other Native American language. He mentored Tom Horn who was also a scout for the army and became multi-lingual under Sieber's tutelage.

Neil
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    same
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Barbi Benton and Lana Clarkson (later murdered by Phil Spector)

I decided a re-watch was in order, so went to add it to my Prime watch list. Done, and it turns out they did a sequel a few years after the original. Not only that, but an MST3K was done in '96.

A cornucopia of goodness that I didn't know about. Good times on the campy horizon.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I watched the Paul Simon doc In Restless Dreams: The Music of Paul Simon last night on MGM+ (excellent, BTW), and it mentioned a 1980 movie he wrote and starred in called One-Trick Pony, which I've never heard of. I found it interesting that his bass player in the film was played by Tony Levin and his drummer was played by Steve Gadd. Think I might need to track this one down for shits'n giggles. The B52's play themselves in it.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Oppenheimer (2023) - Biography. Fantastic film. I knew a small part of the story, but certainly not all of it. Well done.

Anyone But You (2023) - romantic comedy about an arguing couple thrown together shortly before a destination wedding they were separately invited to attend. Borrows a little bit from Destination Wedding (2018), but not a copy of that fine movie. See both.
    Frog in boiling water

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Killers Of A Flower Moon Robert Di Nero and Leonardo DiCaprio. The three-and-a-half-hour drama starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert De Niro is based on a real series of murders in Oklahoma's Osage Nation during the 1920s. It so long but captured my attention throughout. My wife liked it too. Leonardo has the lead role and Robert is also a considerable focus on the film. Acting was top shelf.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Killers Of A Flower Moon Robert Di Nero and Leonardo DiCaprio. The three-and-a-half-hour drama starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert De Niro is based on a real series of murders in Oklahoma's Osage Nation during the 1920s. It so long but captured my attention throughout. My wife liked it too. Leonardo has the lead role and Robert is also a considerable focus on the film. Acting was top shelf.
    Saw it in the theater and loved it.

Beastmaster was the one with the ferrets following the dude around, wasn't it? Corny AF, but I remember liking it at the time.
    Dar, the Beastmaster, carried the ferrets, "Kodo" and "Podo," in his gig bag. When he needed them to do something cool, he brought them out.

Also, watching The Beastmaster with Don Coscarelli's commentary is a must. Fun fact: Demi Moore was Coscarelli's choice for Kiri, but the execs wanted Tanya Roberts. Cosc also wanted Klaus Kinski to play Maax.

Wow! I haven't seen Beastmaster since it's initial theatrical run. That was the brief period in the early 80s where Hollywood was making sword and sorcery films...The Sword and the Sorcerer, Hawk the Slayer, Conan the Barbarian, etc. And then, of course, the Italian film industry ran with their cheap copycat versions for years (bless them), until they ran it into the ground, ha.
    That was a cool time. Yeah, there were many turkeys, but there are some pretty cool flicks lurking in the archives, like Lucio Fulci's Conquest, which I'll watch again in a heartbeat versus slogging through another round of the overbudgeted, craptastic Eternals.

I decided a re-watch was in order, so went to add it to my Prime watch list. Done, and it turns out they did a sequel a few years after the original. Not only that, but an MST3K was done in '96.

A cornucopia of goodness that I didn't know about. Good times on the campy horizon.
    If you like Deathstalker, check out The Warrior and the Sorceress.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088379...flmg_t_180_act

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Dar, the Beastmaster, carried the ferrets, "Kodo" and "Podo," in his gig bag. When he needed them to do something cool, he brought them out. [emoji38]

Also, watching The Beastmaster with Don Coscarelli's commentary is a must. Fun fact: Demi Moore was Coscarelli's choice for Kiri, but the execs wanted Tanya Roberts. Cosc also wanted Klaus Kinski to play Maax.

That was a cool time. Yeah, there were many turkeys, but there are some pretty cool flicks lurking in the archives, like Lucio Fulci's Conquest, which I'll watch again in a heartbeat versus slogging through another round of the overbudgeted, craptastic Eternals.
    Did we talk about Dragonslayer and Krull up thread?

Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Good Time (2017), an indie film starring Robert Pattison "as a small-time criminal who tries to free his developmentally disabled brother from police custody while attempting to avoid his own arrest." (Wikipedia)

His brother is played by Benny Sadfie, who co-directed with his brother Josh Sadfie, who also co-wrote it. It's a well made film and the acting is really good. It got a 91% from critics on Rotten Tomatoes, an 82% from viewers, and a 7.3/10 on IMDb. I thought it was good but wasn't wowed by it. I saw it on Max.

The Portable Door (2023), based on the novel by Tom Holt. Patrick Gibson and Sophie Wilde star as Paul and Sophie who are lowly, put-upon interns who begin working at the mysterious London firm J.W. Wells & Co. and who become increasingly aware that their employers are anything but conventional as they discover the vast corporation's true agenda. (Wikipedia)

Also stars Christoph Waltz, Sam Neill, and Miranda Otto.

It's a family movie and if you like Harry Potter type fantasy movies, you'll like this. I found it very entertaining.

On MGM+.

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Saw it in the theater and loved it.
    Yeah. Compelling story. It was so long but it didn't feel like it. Martin Scorses did an excellent job directing and had a small part. Leonardo was spectacular. Did it get nominated for an Academy Award?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Not sure, but I did pick up the Dragonslayer Steelbook last year, and it's sweet!

dragonslayer_2023steelbook.jpg

Conquest! Oh my god, what a bizarre film. The soft, gauzy lighting made the whole thing feel like some weird feverish dream. And considering the out there plot, it didn't need any extra help in the crazy department.

And what a strange film to make so soon after New York Ripper.

Neil

I didn't watch with the commentary, but on the 4K/blurays I got there are a couple brand new 'making of' documentaries that are well worth watching as well. Plenty of other goodies too.

Fun flicks! Those will be on my shelf in time Haven't seen em in a while

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Yeah. Compelling story. It was so long but it didn't feel like it. Martin Scorses did an excellent job directing and had a small part. Leonardo was spectacular. Did it get nominated for an Academy Award?
    The film was nominated for 10 Academy awards, but ended up not winning any. Oppenheimer was the big winner last year.