Page 401 of 407 FirstFirst ... 301351391397398399400401402403404405 ... LastLast
Results 10,001 to 10,025 of 10155

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Destroy All Neighbors

On Shudder. William is a prog musician struggling to finish his magnus opus. When he accidentally kills his neighbor from hell, things spiral out of control.
    This is a horror/comedy farce that I only watched due to the prog connection. It's one of those good bad movies. Klonk, you might be amused by this.
    I may be amused by it, too!

Neil

I saw a really fun movie last night on Netflix called Apollo 10 1/2: A Space Age Childhood by Richard Linklater. It takes place in Houston around that date, and it deals with a young boy's fantasy of being an astronaunt, but also just stuff happening around during that timeframe. It had a good soundtrack too. It was animated, but done well.

There's a movie that I've only seen once, a really long time ago, and have been wanting to see again but can never seem to find anywhere. I may have to buy it or maybe rent it from Redbox via my Roku.

The movie? The Commitments.

Anyone else seen this movie?

Anyone else have a movie they've only seen once a long time ago that they want to see again?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I liked The Commitments. I bought the DVD and the soundtrack album. Had no idea it had become hard to find.

The movie I have been wanting to see, haven't seen but recommended to me, is Repo Man (1984).

Other day I was reminded of the movie Freaky (2020), which I had seen but never found to buy. Luckily, the library still had their copy and my wife and I watched it again. Good horror comedy.
    Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    There's a movie that I've only seen once, a really long time ago, and have been wanting to see again but can never seem to find anywhere. I may have to buy it or maybe rent it from Redbox via my Roku.

Anyone else have a movie they've only seen once a long time ago that they want to see again?
    Yes, two movies I’ve seen only once and would like to see again. An older one called ‘Blood simple’ and the long version of
    ‘ The man who fell to earth’ with Bowie.
    Still alive and well...
    https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Commitments is an excellent movie
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

One of my favorite films. The 25th Anniversary Blu-Ray looks great and has a wonderful in-depth interview with Alan Parker.

I've got the Commitments on DVD, missed the anniversary Blu-Ray. The film holds up extremely well.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The Commitments was a good film. My wife has the soundtrack CD. One of the few albums she owns.

I used to have The Commitments on vhs. I don't know if I still do. I should try and look for it. I've been wanting to watch Borat here lately, but don't have a copy. You used to find this all the time in pawn shops, flea markets, Goodwill, charity shops, etc. for around a buck. Those places are the best place to find cheap DVD, sometimes CDs, and other things.

I watched a low budget horror last night called Absentia on Prime. It was Mike Flanagan's first film. Overall it kept my interest, although the volume/sound design was wonky for me. Sometimes too low, so I'd turn it up and then too loud when some action happened, etc. Aside from that pretty good.

Went to my local rep film theatre last night (love the films they get...it's almost like I'm programming it!), and saw Immaculate (2024). It's a gritty nunsploitation (great word) horror movie, set in a gigantic rural nuns convent in Italy and has an amazing lead turn by Sydney Sweeney, as a young nun coming in from America, and looking to find her place in the world. Realistically intense, solid acting and wonderfully designed, with some shades of Rosemary's Baby happening.

Neil
    Last edited by boilk; 05-08-2024 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Went to my local rep film theatre last night (love the films they get...it's almost like I'm programming it!), and saw Immaculate (2024). It's a gritty nunsploitation (great word) horror movie, set in a gigantic rural nuns convent in Italy and has an amazing lead turn by Sydney Sweeney, as a young nun coming in from America, and looking to find her place in the world. Realistically intense, solid acting and wonderfully designed, with some shades of Rosemary's Baby happening.

Neil
    Ooh! This sounds promising!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    The movie I have been wanting to see, haven't seen but recommended to me, is Repo Man (1984).
    IIRC, that's with Richard Dreyfus and Emilio Estevez, isn't it? Correction: Harry Dean Stanton (I looked it up).

I've never seen it, either, but have heard it's really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Yes, two movies I’ve seen only once and would like to see again. An older one called ‘Blood simple’...
    I saw that when it was released. Over the years, my favorite Coen Bros movie has ebbed and flowed, so to speak, but I keep coming back to Blood Simple. Eventually I realized it's my favorite. Love that movie. But I love irony and that movie's dripping with it. And, yes, I own it.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    The 25th Anniversary Blu-Ray looks great and has a wonderful in-depth interview with Alan Parker.
    Good to know. Altho, I may have to watch it first before dropping $30 on a BR disc.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Two thumbs up on Repo Man, it was included on many a movie night in college.

Just watched 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture', the first of the original cast movies. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, it was underwhelming when I saw it in the theater back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I used to have The Commitments on vhs. I don't know if I still do. I should try and look for it. I've been wanting to watch Borat here lately, but don't have a copy. You used to find this all the time in pawn shops, flea markets, Goodwill, charity shops, etc. for around a buck. Those places are the best place to find cheap DVD, sometimes CDs, and other things.
    d.
    I actually thought the 2nd Borat movie was better than the first one.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Yes, two movies I’ve seen only once and would like to see again. An older one called ‘Blood simple’ and the long version of
    ‘ The man who fell to earth’ with Bowie.
    I thought I owned Blood Simple, but I checked and it appears I do not. Have to remedy that. I do own The Man Who Fell To Earth, but I did not know there was more than one version of it. Mine claims to be 140 minutes long.
    Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by lemury View Post

Just watched 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture', the first of the original cast movies. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, it was underwhelming when I saw it in the theater back in the day.
    Another thumbs up for "Repo Man". It has been years since I have seen it, but it was a great film and not necessarily what you think it is going to be.

You have the longer version with the meandering… try to remember those days in December long driving across the country scenes and some sexual situations. Also more scenes of life on his planet IIRC
    Still alive and well...
    https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I actually thought the 2nd Borat movie was better than the first one.
    I haven't seen that one all the way thru, I'll look for it when streaming. Thanks.

No Blade of Grass--Movieland app, 1970 heavy handed British post apocalypse movie. A strange new virus has appeared, which only attacks strains of grasses such as wheat and rice, and the world is descending into famine and chaos. It was fine for what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by lemury View Post

Repo Man is brilliant, yes, unquestionably. You are young enough to have seen it on movie nights in college...

But as for that other one, my friends and I call it Star Trek: The Motionless Picture because of long boring stretches where nothing really happens (the most blatant example being the extended "we've built this cool model and we're going to make sure you see every inch of it" flyby, complete with completely out of proportion worker in space suit...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Repo Man is brilliant, yes, unquestionably. You are young enough to have seen it on movie nights in college...

But as for that other one, my friends and I call it Star Trek: The Motionless Picture because of long boring stretches where nothing really happens (the most blatant example being the extended "we've built this cool model and we're going to make sure you see every inch of it" flyby, complete with completely out of proportion worker in space suit...
    I got a laugh out of that, but it is a good description of the Star Trek film. I enjoyed it, but it could have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Star Trek: The Motionless Picture

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Another thumbs up for "Repo Man". It has been years since I have seen it, but it was a great film and not necessarily what you think it is going to be.
    Agreed, would love to see it again, have probably watched it four or five times back in the daze.

Anyone a fan of Buckaroo Bonzai???
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Anyone a fan of Buckaroo Bonzai???
    That's actually another one I'd like to see again... because I remember very little of it.

Hell Comes to Frogtown rules!