Page 402 of 407 FirstFirst ... 302352392398399400401402403404405406 ... LastLast
Results 10,026 to 10,050 of 10171

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Repo Man is brilliant, yes, unquestionably. You are young enough to have seen it on movie nights in college...

But as for that other one, my friends and I call it Star Trek: The Motionless Picture because of long boring stretches where nothing really happens (the most blatant example being the extended "we've built this cool model and we're going to make sure you see every inch of it" flyby, complete with completely out of proportion worker in space suit...
    Agreed, there were stretches that were very boring. BTW, that out of proportion guy in the space suit makes an appearance in "Wrath of Khan" as well
    It had been too long since I saw Leonard Nimoy don the ears and inhabit the Spock character. It put a big grin on my face. As time permits I'm going to cycle through the early movies. There are some other duds in there I'm afraid but I'll trudge through for nostalgia's sake.

Man, I remember the excitement leading up to that movie and the thrill of seeing it on opening day, the second showing, with my rabid original Trek buddy. Each character got a huge cheer when they first appeared on screen, from the sold out theatre. It didn't live up to the hype of course, and is certainly flawed, but Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan got things back on track, and pretty much saved the franchise.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Man, I remember the excitement leading up to that movie and the thrill of seeing it on opening day, the second showing, with my rabid original Trek buddy. Each character got a huge cheer when they first appeared on screen, from the sold out theatre. It didn't live up to the hype of course, and is certainly flawed, but Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan got things back on track, and pretty much saved the franchise.

Neil
    Same experience here. We Star Trek fans were stoked to see it. I also saw it in a theater on opening weekend (don't remember if it was the actual opening day) and it was similar. Agree about "Khan" being a much better film.

I really like The Motion Picture. I'd rank it over ST:IV (a good flick but not one of my faves. But it's better than all the TNG movies).

Ah, the Motion Picture. I remember it well. Paramount wanted a science fiction movie to ride the Star Wars wave. They didn't want to pay for it. There was a December release date that was too soon, thus a lot of visual effects were incomplete or cut. Director Robert Wise was disappointed. I saw it in the theater with my then girlfriend/later wife opening weekend. It was a large old school theater in a college town. Hence it was packed to the rafters. The movie worked for us, mostly because we were so hungry for a ST movie. I would like to see the remaster that Wise oversaw. I understand it works a lot better.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Agree about "Khan" being a much better film.
    I thought TWoK kicked Empire's ass. Still do.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I really like The Motion Picture. I'd rank it over ST:IV (a good flick but not one of my faves. But it's better than all the TNG movies).
    Better than First Contact? No way.

I loved First Contact - the last third act is nothing but nail-biting. Keep in mind, I'm a Trek fanboy (YMMV)
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I don't know why but I've never thought any ST movie completely worked, other than IV and I don't think that's aged particularly well. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen V or VI and I'm pretty sure I didn't see Insurrection or Nemesis. Had no desire. I did see the 2009 reboot, which I didn't like, but haven't seen Into Darkness or Beyond, because (a) I didn't like the first one and (b) the only casting I appreciated was Zachary Quinto as Spock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I loved First Contact - the last third act is nothing but nail-biting. Keep in mind, I'm a Trek fanboy (YMMV)
    The "last third act"? Would that be the sixth act or the ninth or the twelfth or...?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Better than First Contact? No way.
    To be honest, by the time First Contact came out I already had Borg Fatigue. The TNG films haven't aged very well for me.

The Borderlands/Final Prayer (2013)

A team is sent from the vatican to investigate paranormal activity at an old church. This is one of the better found footage horror films out there in my opinion. It's a slow burn with a lot of creepiness and two main characters that I really liked together. Nothing super original, but where it shines is the last act and especially the twist ending...horrifying! I know found footage is hit or miss, but it worked for me.

7.1 out of 10 catacombs
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

We are visiting my wife’s sister in Wisconsin this weekend and decided to watch the old movie “Heat” starring Robert Dinero & Al Pacino. Pretty good movie for the most part. Pacino overacts a bit here and there, but the cast is star studded and it was cool seeing these two screen titans in a film together.

We are visiting my wife’s sister in Wisconsin this weekend and decided to watch the old movie “Heat” starring Robert Dinero & Al Pacino. Pretty good movie for the most part. Pacino overacts a bit here and there, but the cast is star studded and it was cool seeing these two screen titans in a film together.
    OORAH!

Pacino, like a lot of great actors, the older he got the more prone he became to hamming it up. I caught that movie where he's the blind marine colonel and man, it's almost unwatchable now. How Scorsese got Nicholson tamed for The Departed was beyond me, l mean Jack barely even raised an eyebrow in the whole flick. That's the last performance he should be remembered for.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Anyone a fan of Buckaroo Bonzai???
    One of my alltime favorites.

Weirdly, I saw it in a double feature with Purple Rain.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    One of my alltime favorites.

Weirdly, I saw it in a double feature with Purple Rain.
    That is one unique double bill.

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    OORAH!

Pacino, like a lot of great actors, the older he got the more prone he became to hamming it up. I caught that movie where he's the blind marine colonel and man, it's almost unwatchable now. How Scorsese got Nicholson tamed for The Departed was beyond me, l mean Jack barely even raised an eyebrow in the whole flick. That's the last performance he should be remembered for.
    I could not watch that blind Pacino movie back when it came out. I thought it was horrible even though just about everyone I know loved it at the time. I am completely blanking on the title of the movie.

I could not watch that blind Pacino movie back when it came out. I thought it was horrible even though just about everyone I know loved it at the time. I am completely blanking on the title of the movie.
    Scent of a Woman (1992), I would think. I loved it too, actually and it's not usually my kind of movie. There is actually an Italian version from 1974 too.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Damn. A hell of a good run, but still, this sucks. He was at a festival showing of some of his Poe movies not so long ago, I believe.

Neil

Society the of Snow about the rugby team crashes on a glacier in the Andes. Netflix
    Last edited by hippypants; 05-12-2024 at 11:28 AM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    One Life - Anthony Hopkins and Lena Olin - This is a true life story. Mainly taking place in Prague in 1938 as the Nazi's were taking over and attacking Jews. I can't tell the story because this would ruin the movie. The acting is superb and the story is totally gripping. I hate admitting this but I had tears rolling down my cheeks. 9/10
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 05-12-2024 at 10:45 AM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post

Just saw it on the news. Damn. Roger Corman = freakin' legend!

RIP.

The Funhouse

It has been recently discussed here, but the traveling carnival and all of its oddities and creepiness is something that's fascinated me since I started eating paste. The funhouse rides especially. Yeah I'm an odd one, but ya love what ya love! Anyway this is an under appreciated Tobe Hooper gem in my opinion. A group of kids go to a carnival that's in town and decide to spend the night...great idea!! Fun movie with a pretty ridiculous, yet cool deformity. Perfect for a late night, drunken romp.

6.2 out of 10 strings of drool
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

FWIR, when I mentioned The World's Fastest Indian a number of years ago, no one commented they had seen it. I think it's a wonderful movie, due in no small part to Anthony Hopkins' portrayal. Not because it's the kind of complex, nuanced performance one comes to expect of him but because he's so damned likeable in it.

It's based on the true story of Kiwi Burt Munro, who set land speed records on his 1920 Indian motorcycle.

I just discovered it's free on Hoopla, the streaming app for libraries. It's also available on Redbox, with ads, or $2.99 to rent.
    Last edited by Hal...; 05-12-2024 at 01:42 PM.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    The Funhouse

It has been recently discussed here, but the traveling carnival and all of its oddities and creepiness is something that's fascinated me since I started eating paste. The funhouse rides especially. Yeah I'm an odd one, but ya love what ya love! Anyway this is an under appreciated Tobe Hooper gem in my opinion. A group of kids go to a carnival that's in town and decide to spend the night...great idea!! Fun movie with a pretty ridiculous, yet cool deformity. Perfect for a late night, drunken romp.

6.2 out of 10 strings of drool
    I saw it awhile ago at my rep movie house. Lots of fun and a very cool monster make-up by Rick Baker and Craig Reardon. And as you say, there is something about the seediness of....seedy carnival that goes from town to town that is endlessly fascinating.

Neil